25 August 2012 Military News
- Air Strikes Hit Miltants in Pakstan, Afghanistan VOA 25 Aug 2012 -- Drone strikes in Pakistan and Afghanistan have struck Taliban and Haqqani networks in the past week.
- Afghan Air Strike Kills Senior Pakistani Taliban Leader RFE/RL 25 Aug 2012 -- The U.S.-led military force in Afghanistan says a senior leader of the Pakistani Taliban has been killed in a coalition airstrike.
- Afghanistan Health Reconstruction Course introduced into PRT training AFNS 25 Aug 2012 -- Sustainability and self-sufficiency is the goal for the new Afghanistan Health Sector Reconstruction Course being introduced into all provincial reconstruction team training.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Yanukovych Tells Putin Kyiv Wants SCO Observer Status RFE/RL 25 Aug 2012 -- Ukrainian President Viktor Yanukovych said Ukraine would like to get observer status in the Shanghai Cooperation Organization.
- IRGC chopper crashes in northwest Iran IRNA 25 Aug 2012 -- IRGC chopper crashed in Northwest of Iran on Saturday during which four IRGC personnel attained martyrdom.
- Syrian Opposition Warns Of Catastrophe In Homs RFE/RL 25 Aug 2012 -- Syria's main opposition group has urged the United Nations and Arab League to intervene in order to prevent a "catastrophe" in central Homs province.
- UN Chief Meets With New Syrian Envoy RFE/RL 25 Aug 2012 -- Lakhdar Brahimi, the new U.N.-Arab League envoy to Syria, has met with UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon at the United Nations headquarters in New York.
- Shootings Leave Three Dead In Mosul RFE/RL 25 Aug 2012 -- Separate shootings in Iraq's main northern city of Mosul have left three people dead.
- Kim Jong Un Clarifies WPK's Firm Will to Build Reunified Thriving Nation, Tightly Holding Arms of Songun KCNA 25 Aug 2012 -- Supreme Commander of the Korean People's Army Marshal Kim Jong Un made a speech at the banquet given in celebration of August 25, the anniversary of leader Kim Jong Il's start of the Songun revolutionary leadership.
- Kim Jong Un Enjoys Field Performance Given by Moranbong Band to Celebrate August 25 KCNA 25 Aug 2012 -- Supreme Commander of the Korean People's Army Kim Jong Un enjoyed together with KPA service personnel a field performance given by the Moranbong Band.
- UN envoy urges Somalis to finalize list of new parliamentarians UN News Centre 25 Aug 2012 -- The United Nations envoy for Somalia voiced deep concern at the ongoing delays in finalizing the list of new parliamentarians, warning that it might threaten the electoral calendar.
- Experts Believe Limited Press Freedom to Continue in Ethiopia VOA 25 Aug 2012 -- The death of Ethiopian Prime Minister Meles Zenawi has raised questions about the state of press freedom in the country.
- Ukraine Extradites Suspect in Putin Death Plot RIA Novosti 25 Aug 2012 -- Ukraine has extradited to Russia one of the suspects in a plot to assassinate President Vladimir Putin.
- Ukraine Extradites 'Putin Plot' Suspect To Russia RFE/RL 25 Aug 2012 -- Ukraine has extradited to Russia one of two men who were allegedly plotting to assassinate Russian President Vladimir Putin.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|