18 August 2012 Military News
- Afghanistan Marks Independence Day With Low-Key Event RFE/RL 18 Aug 2012 -- Afghan President Hamid Karzai has marked the 93rd anniversary of the country's independence in a ceremony in Kabul.
- Task Force Hurricane officially dedicates Camp John Pratt Army News 18 Aug 2012 -- Months of work takes shape as an 880-acre area here in Regional Command-North is officially dedicated and named Camp John Pratt, after fallen U.S. Army Chief Warrant Officer 5 John C. Pratt.
Defense Policy / Programs
- KCNA Commentary Terms U.S. "Talk about Threat from North Korea" Theory for Dominating Asia-Pacific KCNA 18 Aug 2012 -- The U.S. is getting evermore vociferous about "threat from north Korea".
- Keel Laying Ceremony Held for Two Oceanographic Research Vessels NNS 18 Aug 2012 -- The Navy held a keel laying and dedication ceremony for its two newest Auxiliary General Purpose Oceanographic Research vessels (AGOR 27 and AGOR 28) Aug. 17 at Dakota Creek Industries, Inc., shipyard in Anacortes, Wash.
- Partnership between Alaska, Mongolia strengthened by common cause Army News 18 Aug 2012 -- Brig. Gen. Mike Bridges, commander of the Alaska Army National Guard, met with Dumaa Namsrai, deputy chief, National Emergency Management Agency.
- Army leaders break ground on $9.6 million solar power project Army News 18 Aug 2012 -- Gen. Martin E. Dempsey, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, and Katherine Hammack, assistant secretary of the Army for installations, energy and environment, broke ground on the $9.6 million solar power renewable energy project.
- IRGC commander: Iran's reaction to any aggression, to be rapid and destructive IRNA 18 Aug 2012 -- Commander of the Aero-Space Forces of the Islamic Revolution Guards Corps Bridadier General Amir Ali Hajizadeh said Iran's reaction to any threat and aggression against its territories will be very rapid, broad and destructive.
- Kim Jong Un Inspects Island Defence Detachments of KPA KCNA 18 Aug 2012 -- Supreme Commander of the Korean People's Army Kim Jong Un, first secretary of the Workers' Party of Korea and first chairman of the DPRK National Defence Commission, inspected island defence detachments stationed in the biggest hotspot in the southernmost part of the southwest front.
- Title of DPRK Hero Awarded to Defense Detachment on Mu Islet and Its Artillery Piece KCNA 18 Aug 2012 -- The defense detachment of the Korean People's Army on Mu Islet and artillery piece No. 1 of a coast artillery company of the detachment were awarded the title of the DPRK hero along with a gold star medal and Order of National Flag First Class.
- Major Powers Welcome New Syria Envoy RFE/RL 18 Aug 2012 -- U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton says the United States is ready to support Lakhdar Brahimi, confirmed on August 17 by the United Nations as the new international mediator on Syria.
- Syria - Ahead of mandate's end, UN observer chief renews call for end to violence UN News Centre 18 Aug 2012 -- Ahead of the impending end of the mandate of UN observers in Syria, the force's acting head today reiterated his call on the parties to the Middle Eastern country's ongoing conflict to put down their weapons.
- Russia Urges Brahimi to Stick to Syria Peace Plan RIA Novosti 18 Aug 2012 -- Moscow hopes that Lakhdar Brahimi, the new UN-Arab League representative for Syria, will follow Kofi Annan's peace plan, the Geneva accords and UN Security Council resolutions, the Foreign Ministry said on Saturday.
- Syrian Vice President Defected – Opposition RIA Novosti 18 Aug 2012 -- One of two deputies of embattled Syrian leader Bashar al-Assad fled the country for Jordan, an opposition spokesman said on Saturday, dismissing the government's reports to the contrary.
- Clinton Pledges Support to New UN Envoy for Syria RIA Novosti 18 Aug 2012 -- The United States will support peaceful settlement efforts in Syria by new UN and Arab League envoy Lakhdar Brahimi, U.S. State Secretary Hillary Clinton said.
- China Welcomes New Syria Envoy RIA Novosti 18 Aug 2012 -- China welcomes the appointment of Lakhdar Brahimi as the UN-Arab League representative for Syria, Foreign Ministry spokesman said on Saturday.
- Peace initiative receives positive response in U.S.: envoy CNA 18 Aug 2012 -- President Ma Ying-jeou's East China Sea Peace Initiative to help resolve the dispute over the Tiaoyutai Islands has received a positive response from the U.S. authorities, Taiwan's representative to the United States said Friday.
- U.S. Disregards S. Korea in Tok Islets Issue: Specialist KCNA 18 Aug 2012 -- A spokeswoman for the U.S. State Department reiterated that Japan and south Korea should resolve the territorial dispute over a pair of islands in the Sea of Japan through dialogue.
- Government seeking to reduce nuclear reliance CNA 18 Aug 2012 -- A comprehensive review of Taiwan's energy supply structure is underway to comply with the nation's policy of reducing its dependence on nuclear power, Economics Minister Shih Yen-shiang said Saturday.
- Iraq - UN envoy welcomes latest transfer of Iranian exiles to transit centre UN News Centre 18 Aug 2012 -- The United Nations top official in Iraq today hailed the announcement of a further transfer of Iranian exiles currently located in a camp outside of the capital, Baghdad.
- Chinese Premier Meets Delegation of DPRK-China Joint Guidance Committee KCNA 18 Aug 2012 -- Premier of the State Council of the People's Republic of China Wen Jiabao, member of the Standing Committee of the Political Bureau of the C.C., the Communist Party of China, met and had a friendly talk with the delegation of the DPRK-China Joint Guidance Committee led by Department Director of the Workers' Party of Korea Central Committee Jang Song Thaek at Ziguangge, Zhongnanhai.
- Jon Sung Hun Newly Appointed as Vice-Premier of DPRK KCNA 18 Aug 2012 -- Jon Sung Hun was appointed as vice-premier of the Cabinet according to a decree of the Presidium of the DPRK Supreme People's Assembly.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|