12 August 2012 Military News
Defense Policy / Programs
- Vice Chief Visits IKE NNS 12 Aug 2012 -- Adm. Mark Ferguson, vice chief of naval operations (VCNO), visited the Nimitz-class aircraft carrier USS Dwight D. Eisenhower (CVN 69)(IKE) for a two-day visit highlighted by an all hands call and meetings with leadership, Aug. 12-13.
- USS Pittsburgh Commanding Officer Relieved of Duty NNS 12 Aug 2012 -- Cmdr. Michael P. Ward II, commanding officer of USS Pittsburgh (SSN 720), was relieved of his duties by Capt. Vernon Parks, commander, Submarine Development Squadron 12, on Aug. 10, due to lack of confidence in Ward's ability to command based upon allegations of personal misconduct on the part of Ward.
- U.S. Warship Collides with Japanese Tanker in Persian Gulf RIA Novosti 12 Aug 2012 -- A U.S. Navy guided missile destroyer collided with a Japanese oil tanker in the Persian Gulf, with no injuries reported on either vessel, the American Navy said on its website on Sunday.
- Syrian Authorities Kill Terrorist Ringleader RIA Novosti 12 Aug 2012 -- Syrian authorities have killed one of the ringleaders of al-Nusra Front terrorist group that has been active since the beginning of the national uprising in the country, SANA news agency said on Sunday.
- Syrian Activists: Communications Down in Flashpoint City of Aleppo VOA 12 Aug 2012 -- Syrian activists say all communications are down in large parts of the countryside and in the flashpoint city of Aleppo, where government forces reportedly have been pushing rebel forces out of position since last week.
- Taiwan, Hong Kong activists team up on trip to Tiaoyutais CNA 12 Aug 2012 -- A group of activists set off from Hong Kong Sunday evening to rendezvous with Taiwanese activists off northeastern Taiwan before sailing to the disputed Tiaoyutai Islands Aug. 14 to make separate territorial claims, an activist said Sunday.
- Egypt's President Orders Defense Minister, Top General Retirement - TV RIA Novosti 12 Aug 2012 -- Egyptian President Mohamed Morsi has deposed the country's powerful defense minister and a top military officer, pushing them into 'retirement' but naming them as presidential advisors, state television announced Sunday.
- Egypt's Morsi Appoints Vice President in Major Top Brass Reshuffle RIA Novosti 12 Aug 2012 -- Egypt's president on Sunday named the deputy head of the Cassation Court, Mahmoud Mekki, as the country's vice president.
- Egypt's Morsi Orders Top Military Officers to Retire VOA 12 Aug 2012 -- Egypt's new President Mohamed Morsi has forced out the country's top two military officers, announcing the immediate retirement of Defense Minister Mohammed Hussein Tantawi and Army Chief of Staff Sami Annan. The move comes after growing tensions over military operations in the northern Sinai, following a recent attack by militants that killed 17 Egyptian soldiers.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|