05 August 2012 Military News
Defense Policy / Programs
- Minju Joson on US, S. Korea Confab KCNA 05 Aug 2012 -- It was reported that shortly ago, Ashton Carter, U.S. deputy defense secretary, flew into south Korea and met Kim Kwan Jin, "minister of Defence", and Kim Song Hwan, "minister of Foreign Affairs and Trade" of south Korea.
- Vibrant Response 13 trains Soldiers for reality Army News 05 Aug 2012 -- The 40th Expeditionary Signal Battalion is participating in Vibrant Response 13, a joint-service, mass-training exercise directed by U.S. Northern Command.
- Taiwan's transport planes can be refitted as tanker aircraft CNA 05 Aug 2012 -- Of Taiwan's military aircraft, the C-130 transport plane can be refitted as a tanker aircraft, which can beef up the country's air defenses in the event of war, military officials said recently.
- Iran denies kidnapped in Syria were on diplomatic mission IRNA 05 Aug 2012 -- An informed source at Foreign Ministry on Sunday ruled out certain Arab media reports that the Iranian pilgrims kidnapped in Syria were members of Iran's armed forces military.
- Aleppo Bombarded, Damascus 'Retaken' By Government Forces RFE/RL 05 Aug 2012 -- Heavy fighting continued in Syria's second city Aleppo, with government forces reportedly using artillery and planes to pound rebel positions.
- Syrian Forces Pound Rebel Positions in Aleppo VOA 05 Aug 2012 -- The Syrian army continued attacking rebel positions Sunday in the northern city of Aleppo with heavy shelling and helicopter gunships.
- Taiwan proposes peace initiative to settle Tiaoyutais row CNA 05 Aug 2012 -- President Ma Ying-jeou proposed a peace initiative Sunday to address territorial disputes over the Tiaoyutai Islands, urging neighboring countries to show restraint and seek peaceful means to settle the issue.
- UN agency deplores killing of staffer in Sudan's South Kordofan state UN News Centre 05 Aug 2012 -- The United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) on Sunday condemned the killing of one its drivers in a fatal attack in the Sudanese state of South Kordofan, where ongoing conflict continues to hinder efforts to deliver vital humanitarian aid.
- Supreme Leader: No one could remain neutral in war between good and evil IRNA 05 Aug 2012 -- Supreme Leader of the Islamic Revolution Ayatollah Seyyed Ali Khamenei said no one can remain neutral in the war between the good and the evil.
- MPs, Army, IRGC commanders study security of Persian Gulf, Hormuz Strait IRNA 05 Aug 2012 -- Security of the Persian Gulf and Strait of Hormuz was studied by MPs and Commander of IRGC Navy Rear-Admiral Ali Fadavi and Army's Navy Commander Rear-Admiral Habibollah Sayyari on Sunday.
- US, S. Korea Warned of Severest Punishment for Attempted Terrorism KCNA 05 Aug 2012 -- It is the will of the army of the DPRK to scour and punish those who orchestrated terrorism against the DPRK.
- Serious human rights challenges remain in Myanmar, says UN expert UN News Centre 05 Aug 2012 -- Myanmar needs to tackle serious human rights challenges for democratic transition and national reconciliation to succeed, an independent United Nations human rights expert said at the end of a six-day visit to the country.
- NASA Rover Set to Land on Mars VOA 05 Aug 2012 -- NASA is set to land an exploratory vehicle on the planet Mars early Monday morning.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|