29 July 2012 Military News
Defense Policy / Programs
- Plan devised for security of NATO trucks IRNA 29 Jul 2012 -- The police of north western city of Peshawar have devised a 14-point security plan for oil tankers and container trucks carrying supplies for NATO forces stationed in Afghanistan, local media reported on Saturday.
- US drone kills 4 people in NW Pakistan IRNA 29 Jul 2012 -- A US spy aircraft fired missiles into Pakistan's North Waziristan tribal region on Sunday and killed at least four people, witnesses said.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Remarks by Secretary of Defense Leon Panetta En Route to Tunisia DoD 29 Jul 2012 -- Presenter: Secretary of Defense Leon E. Panetta
- Secretary Begins Trip to North Africa, Middle East AFPS 29 Jul 2012 -- Defense Secretary Leon E. Panetta said today that North Africa and the Middle East present a confluence of challenges he will explore during his trip to the region.
- Panetta to Explore 'Big Buckets' of Issues on Trip AFPS 29 Jul 2012 -- Defense Secretary Leon E. Panetta begins a trip to North Africa and the Middle East today to meet with leaders and take the temperature of a crucial and volatile region.
- Panetta Seeks to Further Strengthen U.S.-Israel Partnership AFPS 29 Jul 2012 -- The United States recognizes Israel is a sovereign nation and can make its own security decisions, 'but at the same time, we have developed a very close partnership with regards to dealing with threats in the region, … and my goal is to strengthen that partnership,' Defense Secretary Leon E. Panetta said today.
- Navy Christens Newest Amphibious Transport Dock Somerset NNS 29 Jul 2012 -- The Navy's newest San Antonio-class amphibious transport dock was christened Somerset during a ceremony July 28 at the Huntington Ingalls Industries shipyard in Avondale, La.
- VX-1 Flies P-8 Poseidon during RIMPAC 2012 NNS 29 Jul 2012 -- The P-8A Poseidon jet, a replacement maritime patrol aircraft for the P-3C Orion, made its Rim of the Pacific (RIMPAC) exercise debut this year, flown by two air crews from Air Test and Evaluation Squadron (VX) 1 at Marine Corps Base Hawaii in Kaneohe Bay, during the 23rd edition of the biennial exercise .
- Navy Conducts Pax River's First Flight of X-47B Unmanned Aircraft NNS 29 Jul 2012 -- The Navy made Pax River history July 29 after it conducted the naval air station's historic first flight of the X-47B Unmanned Combat Air System (UCAS) demonstrator.
- India test-fires BrahMos missile with new systems IRNA 29 Jul 2012 -- In a bid to enhance indigenous missile manufacturing capabilities, India today successfully test-fired the 290-km range BrahMos supersonic cruise missile from the integrated test range at Chandipur off Odisha coast.
- India Successfully Test Fires BrahMos Cruise Missile RIA Novosti 29 Jul 2012 -- The Indian army has successfully test-fired a BrahMos supersonic cruise missile, a spokesman for BrahMos Aerospace, which produces the missile, said on Sunday.
- Putin to Lay Down Russia's Fourth Borei Class Sub RIA Novosti 29 Jul 2012 -- President Vladimir Putin will visit the Arkhangelsk Region in north Russia on Monday to attend the ceremony of laying down Russia's fourth Borei class (Project 955A) ballistic missile submarine, the Kremlin press office reported on Sunday.
- Ban disappointed over lack of agreement on conventional arms trade treaty UN News Centre 29 Jul 2012 -- Describing it as a 'setback,' Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon has expressed his disappointment over the failure by United Nations Member States to reach agreement on a treaty that would regulate the conventional arms trade.
- Panetta: Aleppo Attacks Will Cause Assad's Downfall AFPS 29 Jul 2012 -- The Syrian regime's attacks on the citizens of Aleppo ultimately will be 'a nail in Assad's coffin,' Defense Secretary Leon E. Panetta said today.
- UN Envoy Concerned over Aleppo Situation RIA Novosti 29 Jul 2012 -- Joint UN and Arab League envoy Kofi Annan has expressed concern over the situation in the Syrian city of Aleppo, where the Syrian army launched an anti-opposition operation on Friday, Al Jazeera reported.
- Syria: UN humanitarian chief urges avoidance of civilian casualties in Aleppo fighting UN News Centre 29 Jul 2012 -- Amidst reports of heavy fighting in the city of Aleppo and elsewhere in Syria, the United Nations top humanitarian official today urged all parties in the Middle Eastern country to avoid civilian casualties and allow humanitarian access to people caught up in the violence.
- Syrian Battle Rages Aleppo VOA 29 Jul 2012 -- United Nations humanitarian chief Valerie Amos says fighting between Syrian troops and rebels in the city of Aleppo has forced 200,000 people to flee the country's commercial hub and surrounding area over the past two days.
- Netanyahu Says 'Strong, Credible' Threat Needed To Stop Iran Nukes RFE/RL 29 Jul 2012 -- Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu says a "strong and credible" military threat is needed to prevent Iran from developing a nuclear weapon.
- Iran to File Complaint Against U.S., EU over Sanctions – Press TV RIA Novosti 29 Jul 2012 -- Iran will file a complaint against the United States and Europe for imposing unilateral sanctions on the Islamic Republic without the UN Security Council's approval, Press TV reported on Sunday quoting the Iranian official.
- Romney Says 'Unacceptable' for Iran to Get Nuclear Weapon VOA 29 Jul 2012 -- During a visit Sunday to Israel, the man expected to be the Republican Party nominee for U.S. president, Mitt Romney, said it is 'unacceptable' for Iran to acquire a nuclear weapon.
- Progress M-15M Space Freighter Re-Docks with Space Station RIA Novosti 29 Jul 2012 -- A second attempt to re-dock the Russian Progress M-15M resupply spacecraft to the International Space Station (ISS) with the help of a new rendezvous system has been a success, a spokesman for the Russian Mission Control Center said on Sunday.
- Romania President Faces Impeachment In Referendum RFE/RL 29 Jul 2012 -- Romanians are voting in a controversial referendum on whether to impeach the country's center-right president, Traian Basescu.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|