28 July 2012 Military News
Defense Policy / Programs
- Pakistan ambassador to US calls for end to drone strikes IRNA 28 Jul 2012 -- Pakistan's ambassador to the United States has called for an end to US drone strikes ahead of an intelligence summit in Washington between the two countries next week, a media report said on Saturday.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Pacific Partnership 2012 arrives in Cambodia NNS 28 Jul 2012 -- The Military Sealift Command's hospital ship, USNS Mercy (T-AH 19) arrived in Cambodia, July 28, to begin the final mission phase of Pacific Partnership 2012 (PP12). This is the U.S. Pacific Fleet's seventh annual Pacific Partnership humanitarian and civic assistance (HCA) mission.
- Truman Returns to Norfolk After 12-Days of Carrier Qualifications NNS 28 Jul 2012 -- The aircraft carrier USS Harry S. Truman (CVN 75) returned to Naval Station Norfolk, July 27, after a 12-day underway in support of flight deck certification and carrier qualifications.
- Russia May Evacuate Personnel from Its Syria Base – Navy Chief RIA Novosti 28 Jul 2012 -- Servicemen may be evacuated from the Russian naval base in Tartus, Syria, if it comes under attack, Navy chief Vice Adm. Viktor Chirkov said on Saturday.
- Two Russian Warships Return from Mediterranean RIA Novosti 28 Jul 2012 -- Two warships from Russia's Black Sea Fleet returned on Saturday from the Mediterranean to the home port of Sevastopol, a fleet spokesman said.
- Russia Launches Cluster of Four Satellites RIA Novosti 28 Jul 2012 -- Russia's Space Forces launched early on Saturday a Rokot carrier rocket with a Cosmos class military satellite and three civilian satellites on board, spokesman Col. Alexey Zolotukhin said.
- UN Arms Trade Treaty Negotiations Fail RFE/RL 28 Jul 2012 -- Month-long UN negotiations to establish the first international treaty to regulate the multibillion-dollar global arms trade have ended without a deal.
- Russia Warns Of Looming Syria Tragedy RFE/RL 28 Jul 2012 -- Russia has warned that a "tragedy" was looming as the Syrian Army launched a counteroffensive in Syria's second city of Aleppo.
- Lavrov Denies Plans to Grant al-Assad Asylum in Russia RIA Novosti 28 Jul 2012 -- Russia has no plans to provide a safe haven in exile for embattled Syrian President Bashar al-Assad, Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said on Saturday.
- Battle for Syria's Commercial Center Intensifies VOA 28 Jul 2012 -- The Syrian military intensified its offensive on the country's commercial center of Aleppo Saturday, pounding rebel-controlled areas with tanks and helicopter gunships.
- Rwanda Issues Rebuttal to UN Over M23 Report VOA 28 Jul 2012 -- Rwanda has issued a response to a U.N. Group of Experts report linking Kigali to a rebellion in the eastern Democratic Republic of Congo. Speaking at a forum in Nairobi Saturday, Rwandan Foreign Affairs Minister Louise Mushikiwabo said the case against Rwanda is superficial, and her country questions the report's standards of proof.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|