23 July 2012 Military News
Defense Policy / Programs
- OIF/OEF/OND Casualty Update 23 Jul 2012 [PDF]
- Combined Force Kills Insurgents, Detains Others AFPS 23 Jul 2012 -- A combined Afghan and coalition security force killed two insurgents after coming under attack while searching for an Islamic Movement of Uzbekistan senior leader in Kunduz province.
- Kabul Accuses Islamabad Of Fresh Shelling RFE/RL 23 Jul 2012 -- Afghan officials have accused Pakistan of fresh crossborder missile attacks.
- Afghan Police Officer Kills Three NATO Contractors RFE/RL 23 Jul 2012 -- An Afghan policeman shot dead three foreign staff at a police training center in Herat Province on July 22.
- Afghan Policeman Shoots Dead Three ISAF Staff RIA Novosti 23 Jul 2012 -- An Afghan policeman shot dead three U.S. advisers to the international coalition forces in Afghanistan at Herat airfield.
- Sliwinski assumes command of AFSBn-Kandahar Army News 23 Jul 2012 -- Lt. Col. Stanley J. Sliwinski, Jr. assumed command of AFSBn-Kandahar,401st Army Field Support Brigade.
- U.S. Drone Kills Suspected Militants In Northwest Pakistan RFE/RL 23 Jul 2012 -- Pakistani security officials say a US drone attack has killed up to 12 suspected militants in a restive northwestern tribal area near the Afghan border.
- DOD Approves NATO Medals for Operations in Africa and Libya DoD 23 Jul 2012
Defense Policy / Programs
- Remarks by Deputy Secretary of Defense Carter to the Confederation of Indian Industry, New Delhi, India DoD 23 Jul 2012
- Readout of Secretary Panetta’s Telephone Conversation with Australian Defence Minister Stephen Smith DoD 23 Jul 2012
- Readout of Secretary Panetta’s Meeting with Spanish Minister of Defense Pedro Morenés DoD 23 Jul 2012
- Readout of Secretary Panetta’s Meeting with CEOs and Leaders from the Defense Industry DoD 23 Jul 2012
- DOD Announces Recruiting and Retention Numbers for Fiscal 2012, Through June DoD 23 Jul 2012
- Carter Describes Asia-Pacific Strategy in New Delhi AFPS 23 Jul 2012 -- Deputy Defense Secretary Ashton B. Carter described the U.S. Asia-Pacific strategy during a speech to Indian defense industry representatives, journalists and others.
- Carter Urges Closer U.S.-India Defense Cooperation AFPS 23 Jul 2012 -- Deputy Defense Secretary Ashton B. Carter offered what he called “practical steps” to improve U.S-India defense cooperation.
- MV-22 Ospreys arrive at MCAS Iwakuni USMC News 23 Jul 2012 -- Twelve MV-22 Osprey tiltrotor aircraft were off-loaded from a civilian cargo ship at Marine Corps Air Station Iwakuni, Japan, today. This marks the first deployment of the MV-22 to Japan.
- Suspect Charged in Connection with USS Miami Fire NNS 23 Jul 2012 -- The Naval Criminal Investigative Service has made an arrest in connection with a $400 million dollar fire on board the USS Miami May 23 and other incidents at the Portsmouth Naval Shipyard in Kittery, Maine.
- U.S. F-16 Fighter Crashes in Pacific near Kuril Islands RIA Novosti 23 Jul 2012 -- A U.S. F-16 Falcon fighter crashed into the Pacific Ocean near Russia’s Kuril Islands.
- New Precision Landing Site Increases Flight Deck Capability on Truman NNS 23 Jul 2012 -- The USS Harry S. Truman conducted its first helicopter recovery on a newly-added flight deck precision landing site July 22.
- Total force C-130 operations building opens at Peterson AFNS 23 Jul 2012 -- With a snip of the ceremonial scissors, Air Force Reserve and active duty Airmen ushered in the opening of a new total force C-130 Hercules operations facility.
- Iwo Jima, 24th Marine Expeditionary Unit Visits Kingdom of Bahrain NNS 23 Jul 2012 -- U.S. Navy Sailors and Marines assigned to the 24th Marine Expeditionary Unit , embarked aboard USS Iwo Jima conducted a port visit to the Kingdom of Bahrain.
- Lincoln Wraps Up Port Visit to Turkey NNS 23 Jul 2012 -- Sailors assigned to the USS Abraham Lincoln and embarked Carrier Air Wing 2 departed Antalya, Turkey, July 22, following a scheduled port visit.
- Indonesian to Join Multinational Combat Drills in Australia VOA 23 Jul 2012 -- Aircraft from Australia, the United States and Indonesia will begin three weeks of military exercises over Australia's Northern Territory later this week.
- VP-8 'Fighting Tigers' and Japanese Force Conduct MINEX NNS 23 Jul 2012 -- The "Fighting Tigers" of Patrol Squadron 8 took part in a coordinated operations mining exercise with the Japanese Maritime Self Defense Force, July 19.
- Commandant and Sergeant Major of the Marine Corps visit Marines and Sailors of SPMAGTF Africa USMC News 23 Jul 2012 -- General James F. Amos and Sergeant Major of the Marine Corps Michael P. Barrett met with the Marines and sailors of SPMAGTF Africa.
- C-17 makes unscheduled landing at airport near Tampa AFNS 23 Jul 2012 -- A C-17 Globemaster III carrying 23 passengers, plus a crew of 19, landed at Peter O. Knight airport near Tampa, Fla., rather than at the planned destination of MacDill Air Force Base.
- MDSU-1 Conducts Survey of Rogue Buoy NNS 23 Jul 2012 -- USS James E. Williams hosted Mobile Diving and Salvage Unit 1, Company 1-5, as they conducted a salvage survey of a mooring buoy found adrift in the U.S. 5th Fleet area of responsibility.
- Redesigned Transition Assistance Program Announced DoD 23 Jul 2012
- Plant Yet to Receive Helicopters From Syria-Bound Ship RIA Novosti 23 Jul 2012 -- An aviation repair plant in Russia's Baltic exclave of Kaliningrad has not yet received the Mi-25 helicopters from the Alaed ship.
- Medvedev Calls for Faster Rearmament RIA Novosti 23 Jul 2012 -- Prime Minister Dmitry Medvedev called for an increase in the pace of Russian rearmament during a visit to an arms-making plant.
- Deal signed for new combat boots UK MOD 23 Jul 2012 -- The Ministry of Defence has signed a multi-million pound contract for new boots for the Army, Royal Navy and RAF.
- HMS Sutherland in gunnery exercises off Gibraltar UK MOD 23 Jul 2012 -- HMS Sutherland has stopped off at Gibraltar to take part in a series of gunnery exercises as she begins her six-month deployment.
- Jets Make First Landing on Indian Carrier RIA Novosti 23 Jul 2012 -- A MiG-29KUB two-seat naval fighter jet made the first touch-and-go landings last week on the Indian Navy aircraft carrier Vikramaditya.
- S. Koreans Plan to Hold Military Exercise in Forefront Areas KCNA 23 Jul 2012 -- The First Army Corps of south Korea plans to stage a huge military exercise in the forefront areas including Phaju and Koyang of Kyonggi Province.
- Chinese spy ships, aircraft under strict monitoring CNA 23 Jul 2012 -- Taiwan's Ministry of National Defense denied that it had failed to detect spy ships from China when the military was conducting war games.
- Iranian Admiral Downplays Calls To Close Hormuz Strait RFE/RL 23 Jul 2012 -- A top Iranian admiral says Tehran will not close the strategic Strait of Hormuz as long as Iran itself continues to rely on the waterway.
- Iran not to give up control over Hormuz Straight: IRGC commander IRNA 23 Jul 2012 -- Iran would never give up its control over the strategic Straight of Hormuz, Deputy Navy Commander of the Islamic Revolution Guards Corps Rear Admiral Alireza Tangsiri said.
- Iran’s Navy ships will ferry Atlantic Ocean: Commander IRNA 23 Jul 2012 -- Iranian Navy ships will ferry Atlantic Ocean to display presence in free waters, Navy Commander Rear-Admiral Habibollah Sayari said.
- U.S. Department of State Daily Press Briefing, July 23, 2012 US Dept. of State 23 Jul 2012
- Daily Press Briefing by the Office of the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General, 23 July 2012 United Nations 23 Jul 2012
- Obama Warns Syria Not to Use Chemical Weapons VOA 23 Jul 2012 -- U.S. President Barack Obama is warning Syria against using chemical weapons, saying that would be a "tragic mistake."
- Use of chemical weapons in Syria would be ‘reprehensible’ – UN chief UN News Centre 23 Jul 2012 -- Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon voiced concern about the possible use of chemical weapons in Syria.
- DOD Warns Syria Against Use of Chemical Weapons AFPS 23 Jul 2012 -- Syrian leaders should not even think about using chemical weapons, Pentagon Press Secretary George Little told reporters.
- Damascus Pledges No Use Of Chemical Weapons Against Syrians RFE/RL 23 Jul 2012 -- A spokesman for Syria's Foreign Ministry says the embattled government would only use chemical weapons in response to "aggression" coming from outside the country.
- Damascus: Chemical Weapons Only for Foreign Aggression RIA Novosti 23 Jul 2012 -- Syria may only use chemical weapons against external aggression, Syrian Foreign Ministry spokesman Jihad Makdissi said.
- EU Tightens Embargo on Syria VOA 23 Jul 2012 -- The European Union has tightened the noose on Syria's government, strengthening an arms embargo, blacklisting nearly 30 people and companies associated with the regime, and banning the Syrian national airline from landing in EU countries.
- EU Tightens Syria Sanctions As Violence Surges RIA Novosti 23 Jul 2012 -- The European Union approved a new set of sanctions against Syria on Monday, including a tougher arms embargo, in response to the escalating violence in the country.
- Arab League Offers Assad 'Safe Exit' RFE/RL 23 Jul 2012 -- The Arab League has offered President Bashar al-Assad a "safe exit" from Syria for him and his family if he steps down.
- Arab League Offers Safe Exit For Assad Resignation RIA Novosti 23 Jul 2012 -- The Arab League has called on embattled Syrian President Bashar al-Assad on Monday to swiftly cede power in exchange for a “safe exit” for him and his family members.
- Putin Articulates Syria Settlement Plan RIA Novosti 23 Jul 2012 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin on Monday articulated his plan for a peaceful settlement to the civil conflict in Syria.
- Syria’s Assad, Family Still in Damascus RIA Novosti 23 Jul 2012 -- Syrian President Bashar al-Assad and his family are still in Damascus and he keeps commanding the military against the rebellion.
- UK Report Accuses Syria of Targeting Children VOA 23 Jul 2012 -- A report published by a British group that helps children in conflict zones said Syrian children are being "deliberately targeted" and documents hundreds of deaths and recruitment for armed conflict.
- Iraqi Attacks Reveal Clues About Perpetrators, Motives VOA 23 Jul 2012 -- An examination of Iraq attacks has revealed a series of clues about the identity of the perpetrators and their motives.
- Wave of Bombings, Shootings Hit Iraq VOA 23 Jul 2012 -- Several violent attacks ripped through Iraq, killing at least 103 people and wounding more than 200 in the deadliest day of attacks this year.
- Iraqi Bombings, Shootings Kill 100 RFE/RL 23 Jul 2012 -- Officials say a wave of shooting and bombing attacks in Baghdad and north of the Iraqi capital have killed more than 100 people and injured scores of others.
- Scores Killed in Spate of Deadly Attacks across Iraq RIA Novosti 23 Jul 2012 -- At least 76 people have been killed and 131 injured in a series of gun and bomb attacks throughout Iraq since Sunday, including capital Baghdad.
- Philippines Slams China's Establishment of Sansha City in South China Sea VOA 23 Jul 2012 -- Philippine President Benigno Aquino says his country will not back down in a territorial dispute with China.
- Malian Militias Unite to 'Liberate the North' VOA 23 Jul 2012 -- Six armed militias in Mali have joined forces and say they will retake the country's north from Islamist and rebel groups in control of the territory since April.
- Al-Shabab Executes Three Militants for Western Spying VOA 23 Jul 2012 -- Somali militant group al-Shabab has executed three of its own members for alleged spying on behalf of U.S. and British intelligence agencies.
- Juba Offers Khartoum Financial Relief VOA 23 Jul 2012 -- South Sudan presented the African Union with a new proposal on Monday for ending its long standing oil dispute with Khartoum.
- South Sudan Makes New Peace Offer to Sudan VOA 23 Jul 2012 -- South Sudan has unveiled proposals to advance peace talks with Sudan, including billions of dollars in financial concessions.
- Fighting in North Kivu Forces Thousands to Flee VOA 23 Jul 2012 -- Humanitarian agencies said they are deeply concerned over the deteriorating situation in the North Kivu province of the Democratic Republic of Congo.
- DRC Official Applauds US Aid Cut to Rwanda VOA 23 Jul 2012 -- An official of the Democratic Republic of Congo said he hopes the US decision to withhold $200,000 of military aid to Rwanda will help enhance efforts to restore peace to the Great Lakes region.
- Belgrade Wants UN To Join Talks With Kosovo RFE/RL 23 Jul 2012 -- The new Serbian President Tomislav Nikolic says that Belgrade would seek to include the United Nations in talks with Kosovo.
- Iran, 5+1 representatives to meet in Istanbul Tuesday IRNA 23 Jul 2012 -- Deputies of the top negotiators from Iran and the 5+1 member states are to meet on Tuesday.
- Iranian Religious Leader Threatens to Increase Uranium Enrichment RIA Novosti 23 Jul 2012 -- Iran will start enriching uranium to 56-percent level if Israel and Western world keep on pressurizing the Islamic Republic with sanctions.
- South Korean Broadcasting Official to Visit Pyongyang VOA 23 Jul 2012 -- The first private South Korean citizen authorized to go to North Korea since the funeral of Kim Jong Il is to arrive there Tuesday.
- North Korea Shootout Rumors Unfounded - Experts RIA Novosti 23 Jul 2012 -- The unconfirmed reports of a deadly shootout between rival military groups in North Korea are unlikely to be true.
- Japanese Panel Spreads Blame for Fukushima Disaster VOA 23 Jul 2012 -- An investigative panel has concluded the last of a series of high-profile reviews of last year’s accident at the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant.
- Inquiry On Fukushima Criticizes Plant Operator, Regulators RFE/RL 23 Jul 2012 -- A government-appointed panel investigating Japan's Fukushima nuclear disaster says the operator of the crippled plant continues to delay investigators and has tried to understate the true amount of damage at the complex.
- EU: Zimbabwe Sanctions Stay Until Elections VOA 23 Jul 2012 -- The European Union says it will suspend targeted sanctions on Zimbabwe's leadership if the African nation holds credible elections.
- NASA Offers Condolences on the Passing of Pioneering Astronaut Sally Ride NASA 23 Jul 2012 -- In a space agency filled with trailblazers, Sally K. Ride was a pioneer of a different sort. The soft-spoken California physicist broke the gender barrier 29 years ago when she rode to orbit aboard space shuttle Challenger to become America’s first woman in space.
- Top Cuban Dissident Dies In Crash RFE/RL 23 Jul 2012 -- One of Cuba's best-known dissidents, Oswaldo Paya, has died in a car crash.
- Tymoshenko's Tax Trial Postponed RFE/RL 23 Jul 2012 -- A Ukrainian judge has postponed for one week the next sessions in the tax evasion trial of jailed former Prime Minister Yulia Tymoshenko.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|