21 July 2012 Military News
- Official blames US for Rabbani assassination IRNA 21 Jul 2012 -- Head of Foreign Ministry's Afghanistan Headquarters, Mohsen Pakaeen, says Americans had had a role in assassination of Burhanuddin Rabbani, former Afghan president and head of the council in charge of holding peace talks with Taliban.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Carter: U.S., Japan Both 'Thinking Big' on Strategy AFPS 21 Jul 2012 -- Deputy Defense Secretary Ashton B. Carter told reporters here today that as the United States rebalances its defense strategy toward the Asia-Pacific, 'our central and anchoring' ally, Japan, also is beginning a strategic shift.
- Carter Addresses Joint Strike Fighter Program AFPS 21 Jul 2012 -- Many countries that are partnering with the United States in the F-35 joint strike fighter program will have a role to play in the aircraft's assembly, but the U.S. government will not decide which country does what, Deputy Defense Secretary Ashton B. Carter said here today.
- Carter: U.S. to Work with Japan on Osprey Analysis AFPS 21 Jul 2012 -- Deputy Defense Secretary Ashton B. Carter answered a barrage of questions on the V-22 Osprey during a press conference with Japanese media representatives here today.
- Remarks by Deputy Secretary of Defense Carter Aboard the USS Blue Ridge, Yokosuka, Japan DoD 21 Jul 2012 -- Presenter: Deputy Secretary of Defense Ashton B. Carter
- Media Roundtable with Deputy Secretary of Defense Carter, Tokyo, Japan DoD 21 Jul 2012 -- Presenter: Deputy Secretary of Defense Ashton B. Carter
- Carter Praises Japan-based Sailors’ Security Role AFPS 21 Jul 2012 -- Deputy Defense Secretary Ashton B. Carter spent time here today with U.S. troops who are, as he put it, “at the epicenter” of the nation’s strategic transition to an Asia-Pacific focus.
- Truman Completes its First RAS in 19 Months NNS 21 Jul 2012 -- The aircraft carrier USS Harry S. Truman (CVN 75) completed its first replenishment-at-sea (RAS) in 19 months, July 20.
- Truman Earns Flight Deck Certification NNS 21 Jul 2012 -- The aircraft carrier USS Harry S. Truman (CVN 75) completed flight deck certification July 19, four days after its 16-month docking planned incremental availability (DPIA) ended.
- Sea Spirit at RIMPAC NNS 21 Jul 2012 -- Eight nations took part in a joint operational planning training opportunity during Sea Spirit 2012, at the Ford Island Conference Center on Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam during the Rim of the Pacific (RIMPAC) 2012 exercise.
- DEPSECDEF Visits USS Blue Ridge, Talks Asia-Pacific NNS 21 Jul 2012 -- The Deputy Secretary of Defense (DEPSECDEF) Ashton B. Carter visited the U.S. 7th Fleet flagship USS Blue Ridge (LCC 19) to speak with Sailors and emphasize the importance of their mission in the Asia-Pacific region during a July 21 visit.
- Seabees Join Hawaii National Guard During RIMPAC Search and Rescue Exercise NNS 21 Jul 2012 -- A small detachment of Seabees joined a specialized team of Hawaii National Guard Soldiers and civilian urban search-and-rescue (USAR) experts, July 17-19, for an exercise demonstrating lifesaving and construction skills during the Rim of the Pacific (RIMPAC) 2012 exercise.
- Iran, Syria review defense cooperation on phone IRNA 21 Jul 2012 -- Defense Minister Brigadier General Ahmad Vahidi and his Syrian counterpart General Fahd Jassem al-Freij in a telephone conversation reviewed the latest developments in Syria.
- Syria Fighting Spreads to Aleppo VOA 21 Jul 2012 -- CAIRO — Witnesses report heavy fighting Saturday in Syria's largest city, Aleppo, along with more clashes and shelling in the capital, Damascus. Government troops continue to try and claw back territory lost to rebel fighters in recent days, shelling other major towns and cities, but with limited success.
- Côte d'Ivoire: UN deplores attack against camp for internally displaced UN News Centre 21 Jul 2012 -- A United Nations top official today strongly condemned the attack carried out by some 300 individuals against a camp for internally displaced persons (IDPs) in Côte d'Ivoire, which resulted in seven deaths and injured 13 people.
- Ayatollah Jannati re-elected as GC secretary IRNA 21 Jul 2012 -- Ayatollah Ahmad Jannati was re-elected as secretary of the Guardian Council.
- Iran to launch Fajr satellite soon, official IRNA 21 Jul 2012 -- Head of Iran's astronomy organization Hamid Fazeli announced that Iran will launch its Fajr satellite soon.
- Putin Signs NGO 'Foreign Agents' Law RFE/RL 21 Jul 2012 -- The Kremlin press service reports that President Vladimir Putin has signed into law a controversial bill that requires nongovernmental organisations (NGOs) which receive funding from abroad to register with the Justice Ministry as "foreign agents."
- Al-Qaeda Supporter Admits Plot to Blow Up Pentagon, U.S. Congress RIA Novosti 21 Jul 2012 -- A U.S. citizen of Bangladeshi descent has pleaded guilty to plotting to attack the U.S. Pentagon and the Congress headquarters with the explosives-laden remote-controlled model airplanes, BBC reported on Saturday.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|