Conflicting Reports on Mubarak’s Condition
03:43 20/06/2012 CAIRO, June 20 (RIA Novosti) - There were conflicting reports on Wednesday on the condition of former Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak, with some sources saying he was clinically dead and others saying he was just unconscious.
The MENA state news agency reported that doctors declared Mubarak, who had been toppled last year, clinically dead.
Mubarak’s lawyer Farid al-Deeb denied the report.
“Mubarak is alive, he has been transferred to a military hospital where he will continue treatment,” al-Deeb told Arab media.
Security sources told Reuters on Tuesday that the ex-leader, hospitalized for more than a year, is unconscious and on a respirator, but not clinically dead.
Mubarak's health took a sharp turn for the worst when he suffered a heart attack and a stroke on Tuesday.
Mubarak, 84, was hospitalized with his first heart failure on June 2 after he received his sentence for ordering the killing of protesters in the spring of 2011.
Al-Deeb said on Tuesday that Mubarak has been transferred from his prison cell outside Cairo where he is serving a life sentence to a military hospital.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|