07 June 2012 Military News
Defense Policy / Programs
- OIF/OEF/OND Casualty Update 07 Jun 2012 [PDF]
- Joint Press Conference with Defense Secretary Leon Panetta and Afghan Defense Minister Abdul Rahim Wardak DoD 07 Jun 2012
- Remarks by Secretary Panetta to International Security Assistance Force Joint Command (IJC) Troops in Afghanistan DoD 07 Jun 2012
- DOD Identifies Units for Upcoming Afghanistan Rotation DoD 07 Jun 2012
- Combined Force Kills Several Insurgents AFPS 07 Jun 2012 -- An Afghan and coalition security force killed several insurgents during a firefight while searching for a Haqqani leader in the Tsamkani district of Afghanistan’s Paktiya province.
- US Losing Patience with Pakistan, Panetta Says VOA 07 Jun 2012 -- U.S. Defense Secretary Leon Panetta said that Washington is running out of patience with neighboring Pakistan, where Taliban, al-Qaida and Haqqani militants have safe havens.
- U.S. Reaching Limit of Patience With Pakistan on Safe Havens AFPS 07 Jun 2012 -- The US is reaching the limits of its patience with Pakistan serving as a safe haven for terrorists attacking American forces in Afghanistan, Defense Secretary Leon E. Panetta said.
- Panetta Arrives in Afghanistan to Assess Situation AFPS 07 Jun 2012 -- Defense Secretary Leon E. Panetta arrived here today to meet with NATO and Afghan leaders, visit with American troops, and assess the situation on the ground.
- U.S. Pledges To Investigate Afghan Air Strike Casualty Reports RFE/RL 07 Jun 2012 -- The United States has pledged to investigate a June 6 NATO air strike in Afghanistan and take "appropriate actions" amid Afghan accounts that as many as 18 civilians were killed.
- UN mission strongly condemns attacks on Afghan civilians UN News Centre 07 Jun 2012 -- The United Nations has strongly condemned yesterday’s attacks in four Afghan provinces which killed 40 civilians, including 10 children, and injured at least 67 others.
- Karzai Cuts Short China Visit Following Afghan Violence RFE/RL 07 Jun 2012 -- Afghan President Hamid Karzai has cut short an official visit to China following reports of civilian deaths in a NATO air strike in eastern Afghanistan.
- Pakistan PM urges UN for early Afghan refugees' repatriation IRNA 07 Jun 2012 -- Pakistan Prime Minister, Yusuf Raza Gilani has called upon the United Nations for urgent repatriation of 3.5 million Afghan refugees in Pakistan.
- Russia Set to Expand Ties with Afghanistan - Putin RIA Novosti 07 Jun 2012 -- Russia is ready to invigorate its trade and economic ties with Afghanistan and also to help train the country’s security forces, President Vladimir Putin said.
- Secretary Clinton Opening Remarks at the Global Counterterrorism Forum US Dept. of State 07 Jun 2012
- Clinton Wants Greater Coordination Against Africa, Middle East Terror VOA 07 Jun 2012 -- U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton says terrorist threats in Africa and the Middle East demand greater international coordination of intelligence services and law enforcement.
- USS Nicholas Recovers Approximately 4,900 Pounds of Cocaine NNS 07 Jun 2012 -- USS Nicholas recovered 112 bales of cocaine, weighing approximately 4,910 pounds, during an interdiction off the Pacific Coast of Colombia in support of Operation Martillo.
Defense Policy / Programs
- DOD News Briefing with Gen. Dempsey from the Pentagon DoD 07 Jun 2012
- Dempsey: Asia-Pacific is of Global Strategic Import AFPS 07 Jun 2012 -- Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff said he laid out the context and rationale there for the Defense Department’s rebalance to a region that is of strategic consequence to the world.
- Kenyan Security Forces Face US Funding Ban VOA 07 Jun 2012 -- A bill in the U.S. Senate Foreign Appropriations Committee says Kenya's history of human rights abuse is alarming and must be addressed.
- Warfighting data becoming easier to find and retrieve AFNS 07 Jun 2012 -- Recent contract awards by the Electronic Systems Center here are helping to ensure that warfighters using a key intelligence system can discover and access needed information.
- Almost two decades of Paladin work Army News 07 Jun 2012 -- The U.S. Army and BAE Systems, the original equipment manufacturer for the Paladin, signed a memorandum of understanding a few years ago to upgrade the system one more time.
- Test systems using alternative fuel source Army News 07 Jun 2012 -- Test systems on White Sands Missile Range are using new alternative fuel options for better, cleaner, long term power.
- Avenger sling loaded for first time in 10 years Army News 07 Jun 2012 -- This Spring, 2nd Battalion 44th Air Defense Artillery Regiment sling loaded an Avenger Air Defense System for the first time in more than ten years at Fort Campbell, Ky.
- Maritime Forces Train in Air Defense during BALTOPS 2012 NNS 07 Jun 2012 -- Maritime forces participating in Baltic Operations 2012 opened its third day at sea by training to respond to airborne adversary attacks, June 5.
- Maritime Forces Participate in BALTOPS 2012 Mine Detonation NNS 07 Jun 2012 -- Baltic Operations 2012 featured a controlled detonation of a live mine in the Baltic Sea, June 4.
- National, military leaders visit joint medical exercise AFNS 07 Jun 2012 -- The exercise portion of Shared Resilience 2012 ended here June 6 as the joint medical teams showcased their strengths to leaders of Bosnia-Herzegovina and the U.S. military.
- Brazilian Submarine visits Norfolk NNS 07 Jun 2012 -- The Brazilian navy submarine BNS Tikuna (S-34) arrived at Naval Station Norfolk for a routine port visit, June 7.
- HSV Swift Departs South Africa NNS 07 Jun 2012 -- High Speed Vessel Swift departed Durban, South Africa, concluding a two-week theater security cooperation visit to the area, June 7.
- Service Members Deliver Supplies to Puskesmas Mangaran NNS 07 Jun 2012 -- An MH-60S Seahawk assigned to the USNS Mercy delivered medical and dental supplies to Indonesia June 4.
- Southcom Strives to Maximize Theater Engagement Efforts AFPS 07 Jun 2012 -- U.S. Southern Command continues to move full steam ahead on its array of theater engagement programs.
- Dempsey Encourages NDU Grads to Build Relationships AFPS 07 Jun 2012 -- The military’s senior officer welcomed nearly 700 U.S. and international students from the National Defense University back into the fighting force and encouraged them to build relationships for success.
- Officials release investigation report on trainee's death AFNS 07 Jun 2012 -- The Air Force released a report of investigation June 7 into the death of an Air Force trainee, which occurred Oct. 19, 2011.
- 91st MP Soldiers train for bike patrol mission Army News 07 Jun 2012 -- Twenty Soldiers from the 91st Military Police Battalion recently completed training for this season's Directorate of Emergency Services, Law Enforcement Division, bicycle patrol and community policing mission.
- Russia to Showcase T-90S Tank at Paris Arms Show RIA Novosti 07 Jun 2012 -- Russia will exhibit for the first time its modernized T-90S main battle tank at the EUROSATORY 2012 arms exhibition in Paris.
- Putin Proposes Anti-Terror Center in Shanghai Organization RIA Novosti 07 Jun 2012 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin on Thursday proposed establishing an antiterrorism center within the Shanghai Cooperation Organization.
- Address to the Royal United Services Institute Land Warfare Conference 2012 UK MOD 07 Jun 2012
- Defence Secretary on Army 2020 UK MOD 07 Jun 2012 -- Defence Secretary Philip Hammond has discussed the key considerations behind the role of the Army in Future Force 2020.
- Taiwan holds live-fire exercise CNA 07 Jun 2012 -- Taiwan held a live-fire joint-forces exercise in the southern county of Pingtung, one of the military's regular practices to test the country's defense capabilities.
- U.S. Department of State Daily Press Briefing, June 7, 2012 US Dept. of State 07 Jun 2012
- DoD News: Contracts for June 07, 2012
- Pilot Crashed Superjet in 'Dangerous Maneuver' RIA Novosti 07 Jun 2012 -- A Russian Sukhoi Superjet airliner that crashed in Indonesia last month might have gone down because of a dangerous maneuver performed by the pilot.
- Daily Press Briefing by the Office of the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General, 07 June 2012 United Nations 07 Jun 2012
- Secretary Clinton Remarks With Foreign Minister Ahmet Davutoglu After Their Meeting US Dept. of State 07 Jun 2012
- Statement by the Press Secretary on Syria The White House 07 Jun 2012
- At Security Council’s request, Ban to explore a ‘variety of options’ for way ahead in Syria UN News Centre 07 Jun 2012 -- At the request of the Security Council, Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon will soon put forward a range of options for resolving the crisis in Syria.
- UN's Ban Says Syrian Regime Has Lost Legitimacy RFE/RL 07 Jun 2012 -- UN Secretary-General Ban has said that President Bashar al-Assad's regime has lost all legitimacy and warned about the danger of an all-out civil war in Syria.
- Annan: Take Syria Response to 'Another Level' VOA 07 Jun 2012 -- U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton and U.N.-Arab League envoy Kofi Annan led increased diplomatic pressure on Syria following reports of another massacre that killed dozens of Syrians.
- Syria Peace Plan ‘Not Being Implemented’ – Annan RIA Novosti 07 Jun 2012 -- UN special envoy Kofi Annan said his six-point peace plan aimed to stop violence in Syria is "not being implemented."
- With Syria at pivotal moment, UN officials press for united action to end crisis UN News Centre 07 Jun 2012 --United Nations officials urged the world community to act with one voice to end the crisis in the Middle Eastern country.
- UN observers in Syria obstructed in attempts to reach site of reported massacre UN News Centre 07 Jun 2012 -- United Nations observers in Syria have been obstructed in their attempts to reach the village of Mazraat al-Qubeir today, to verify reports of large-scale killings there.
- Clinton: Democratic Syria Impossible with Assad VOA 07 Jun 2012 -- U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton says Syria cannot be peaceful, stable or democratic with President Bashar al-Assad in power.
- Clinton Calls Latest Syria Violence 'Unconscionable,' Demands Assad Exit RFE/RL 07 Jun 2012 -- U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton says the violence in Syria is "simply unconscionable."
- Clinton Calls for Sanctions Against Assad RIA Novosti 07 Jun 2012 -- The United States that leads the Friends of Syria group has called on members of the international community to introduce separate sanctions against the Bashar al-Assad regime.
- Russia Calls Hama Massacre ‘Despicable Provocation’ RIA Novosti 07 Jun 2012 -- Moscow considers a new massacre in Syria as a vicious and despicable provocation aimed at hampering implementation of the Annan plan.
- Scores Killed in New Massacre, Syrian Opposition Claims RIA Novosti 07 Jun 2012 -- Opposition activists and the Syrian government have both accused the other of responsibility for the deaths of scores of civilians in a new massacre.
- Damascus asks for objectivity of Annan proposal IRNA 07 Jun 2012 -- International mediator Kofi Annan’s upcoming proposal for the resolution of Syrian crisis should not be affected by pressure of certain countries.
- SCO Leaders Reject Force In Iran, Syria RFE/RL 07 Jun 2012 -- Leaders of the Shanghai Cooperation Organization meeting in Beijing have opposed any international use of force in Iran, saying such a move could threaten global security.
- SCO Security Alliance Opposes Syria Intervention VOA 07 Jun 2012 -- A regional security alliance led by China and Russia announced its opposition to outside intervention in the Syrian crisis in a joint statement released.
- Lavrov Guarantees 'No External Intervention' in Syria RIA Novosti 07 Jun 2012 -- Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said on Thursday that the UN Security Council would not allow a mandate on the intervention into Syria.
- Lebanese Sectarian Clashes Spark Syria Spillover Fears VOA 07 Jun 2012 -- Sporadic sectarian clashes between two neighborhoods in Lebanon's second largest city, Tripoli, have reminded Lebanese of the brutal civil war in the 1970s and '80s.
- S. Korea Closely Watching North’s Air Force VOA 07 Jun 2012 -- South Korea's military is declaring it is ready for any provocation from Pyongyang, amid increased activity by North Korean fighter jets.
- India’s CCS clears agenda for talks with Pak on Siachen IRNA 07 Jun 2012 -- India’s Cabinet Committee on Security cleared agenda for talks with Pakistan on Siachen, to be held in Islamabad on 11th and 12th June 11.
- Baghdad Pins Security Hopes On 13,000 CCTV Cameras RFE/RL 07 Jun 2012 -- Iraq's fragile coalition government is pinning its hopes on a network of closed-circuit television cameras to show it can bring some measure of security to Baghdad.
- Iraq Executes Saddam Hussein's Personal Secretary RFE/RL 07 Jun 2012 -- Iraq's Justice Ministry says the former personal secretary to the late Iraqi dictator Saddam Hussein has been executed.
- US Offers Bounty for Somali Militants VOA 07 Jun 2012 -- The United States is offering a new set of rewards for information on the whereabouts of leaders of the Somali militant group al-Shabab.
- Turkey Takes On Redevelopment Efforts in Somalia VOA 07 Jun 2012 -- Turkey is reaching out to war-torn Somalia with a huge redevelopment effort - in Ankara's latest effort to expand its economic and political influence in Africa and play a greater role in the international arena.
- 25 Al-Qaeda Gunmen Killed In South Yemen RFE/RL 07 Jun 2012 -- Officials say Yemen's army has engaged in heavy gun battles with Islamist militants linked to Al-Qaeda near of the southern town of Jaar.
- Yerevan Warns Baku on Karabakh RIA Novosti 07 Jun 2012 -- Armenia does not want an escalation of tensions with Azerbaijan but will respond to any actions against its citizens, borders and Nagorno-Karabakh, Armenia’s President Serzh Sargsyan has said.
- UN relief official voices concern as fighting, food shortages uproot more Sudanese UN News Centre 07 Jun 2012 -- The top UN relief official in Sudan voiced deep concern at reports that more people are fleeing the country’s southern regions to escape fighting and severe food shortages.
- South Sudan’s Upper Nile Scene of Refugee Influx VOA 07 Jun 2012 -- A sudden massive influx of refugees from Sudan’s Blue Nile state seeking asylum in the remote northeast region of South Sudan is putting additional pressure on humanitarian agencies.
- Moscow Blasts U.S.-Georgia 'Neutral Passports' RIA Novosti 07 Jun 2012 -- Moscow accused Washington of seeking to undermine the stability in the Caucasus by supporting Georgia’s idea of issuing “neutral passports” for the breakaway regions of Abkhazia and South Ossetia.
- UN genocide tribunal transfers former Rwandan official to national authorities UN News Centre 07 Jun 2012 -- The UN tribunal trying key suspects implicated in the 1994 genocide in Rwanda, has transferred to Rwandan authorities the case of Bernard Munyagishari, a former Government official.
- Planned Israeli settlements in West Bank violate international law, says UN envoy UN News Centre 07 Jun 2012 -- A top United Nations envoy today reiterated that all settlement construction in the occupied Palestinian territory represents a breach of international law, after the Israeli Government announced it will build 300 new units in the Beit El settlement.
- Why Do UN Inspectors Want Access To Iran's Parchin Military Complex? RFE/RL 07 Jun 2012 -- Parchin, a large military complex located southeast of Tehran, is one of the key pieces of the puzzle that is Iran’s nuclear program.
- Clinton Calls On Iran To Discuss Uranium Enrichment Levels RFE/RL 07 Jun 2012 -- U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton has called on Iran to be prepared to "take concrete steps," particularly in halting uranium enrichment to 20 percent, at the next round of talks with world powers.
- West is wasting time in nuclear talks: Ahmadinejad IRNA 07 Jun 2012 -- Iran is ready for continuation of talks with the G5+1 in Moscow or Beijing but the West is interested in wasting time, Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad said.
- Further sanctions on Iran counter-productive: Lavrov IRNA 07 Jun 2012 -- Further sanctions on Iran would be 'counter-productive', Russian Foreign Minister, Sergei Lavrov, said.
- Putin Voices Support For Iran's 'Peaceful' Atomic Power RFE/RL 07 Jun 2012 -- President Vladimir Putin has told his Iranian counterpart Mahmud Ahmadinejad that Russia supports Iran's development of atomic energy, but only for peaceful, civilian purposes.
- Russia Supports Iran’s Peaceful Nuclear Program - Putin RIA Novosti 07 Jun 2012 -- Russia supports Iran’s right to peaceful uses of nuclear energy and is in constant contact with Tehran on nuclear issues, President Vladimir Putin said.
- Chinese Dissident Aims to Raise Awareness of Laogai System in Tibet VOA 07 Jun 2012 -- Chinese and Tibetan human rights advocates are teaming up in Washington this week to raise awareness of the Chinese forced-labor prison camp system, known as laogai, and its use in Tibet.
- Chinese Dissident's 'Suspicious' Death Raises Questions VOA 07 Jun 2012 -- Online petitioners are calling for China to investigate what they call the "suspicious death" of a prominent dissident.
- Top UN official calls on Pakistan to increase efforts to protect human rights UN News Centre 07 Jun 2012 -- Pakistan must boost its efforts to protect the human rights of its citizens, a top United Nations official said.
- Turkey Continues Pursuit of EU Membership VOA 07 Jun 2012 -- Leading EU officials have met with their Turkish counterparts in Istanbul in the latest effort to re-energize Turkey's faltering membership bid.
- Ugandan President Attacks Opposition in Annual Speech VOA 07 Jun 2012 -- Ugandan President Yoweri Museveni attacked both the opposition and the media in his State of the Nation address.
- No Spy Swap for Bout - Security Service RIA Novosti 07 Jun 2012 -- There will be no prisoner swap involving convicted Russian arms dealer Viktor Bout and former Federal Security Service Colonel Valery Mikhailov.
- UN food price index registers sharp drop in prices during May UN News Centre 07 Jun 2012 -- The United Nations today reported a sharp drop in global food prices during May owing to generally favourable supplies, growing global economic uncertainties and a strengthening of the United States dollar.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|