03 June 2012 Military News
- 5 people die in US drone strike in NW Pakistan IRNA 03 Jun 2012 -- An American unmanned aircraft fired missiles into Pakistan's South Waziristan tribal area on Sunday and killed at least five people, tribesmen said.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Media Availability with Secretary Panetta in Cam Ranh Bay, Vietnam DoD 03 Jun 2012
- Secretary Panetta Speaking to the Crew of USNS Byrd in Cam Ranh Bay, Vietnam DoD 03 Jun 2012
- Dempsey: Allies' Reaction Shows Asia-Pacific Strategy 'On Track' AFPS 03 Jun 2012 -- The United States' allies and partner nations in the Asia-Pacific region have an 'appetite and eagerness for us to remain a Pacific power,' the senior U.S. military officer said today.
- Dempsey Details Plan for 'Singapore-managed' Ships AFPS 03 Jun 2012 -- The littoral combat ships that will soon begin rotational deployment to Singapore are an example of the increased military engagement called for under the U.S. Asia-Pacific strategy, Army Gen. Martin E. Dempsey said today.
- Dempsey Arrives in Philippines for High-level Meetings AFPS 03 Jun 2012 -- The senior U.S. military officer arrived here today for a visit that will include a meeting with Philippine President Benigno S. Aquino III.
- Panetta's Cam Ranh Bay Visit Symbolizes Growing U.S.-Vietnam Ties AFPS 03 Jun 2012 -- Senior U.S. officials were once a familiar sight at this deep-water port on the South China Sea. But that was during the Vietnam War, which is why Defense Secretary Leon Panetta's visit to an American ship moored in the harbor here is historic.
- USS Mississippi Commissioned NNS 03 Jun 2012 -- The Navy commissioned USS Mississippi (SSN 782), the ninth Virginia-class attack submarine, during a ceremony in Pascagoula, Miss., June 2
- NATO Interested in Missile Defense Cooperation with Ukraine – Brengelmann RIA Novosti 03 Jun 2012 -- NATO is ready to interact with third countries, including Ukraine, on an individual basis to raise anti-ballistic missile defense efficiency, NATO's Assistant Secretary General for Political Affairs and Security Policy Dirk Brengelmann said on Sunday.
- Taiwan welcomes increased deployment of U.S. warships in Asia CNA 03 Jun 2012 -- Taiwan welcomes the United States' recent commitment to shift a greater number of warships to the Asia-Pacific region over the next few years, a defense official said Sunday.
- Defense Ministry mulls rejecting post-disaster cleanup requests CNA 03 Jun 2012 -- The Ministry of National Defense said Sunday it will consider turning down future requests by local governments to help with post-disaster relief missions such as cleanup jobs to lower expenses and stick to the military's defense duties.
- Israel deploying nuclear missiles on German submarines: report IRNA 03 Jun 2012 -- The Hamburg-based news magazine Der Spiegel reported Sunday that Israel is secretly equipping German-built submarines with nuclear missiles.
- U.S Military, Technical Superiority Is Not All Powerful: Rodong Sinmun KCNA 03 Jun 2012 -- US military and technical superiority in "the anti-terror war" is not always workable.
- Assad Says Syria Faces War 'Waged From Outside' RFE/RL 03 Jun 2012 -- Speaking to parliament on June 3, President Bashar al-Assad said Syria was "facing a real war waged from the outside" and vowed there will be no compromise in the fight with "terrorism."
- Syria on the Brink of War Instigated from Abroad - Assad RIA Novosti 03 Jun 2012 -- Syria faces a 'real war' waged by external forces, Syria's President Bashar al-Assad said on Sunday in a speech to parliament broadcast by Syrian television.
- UN Human Rights Resolution on Syria Beyond Mandate – Lavrov RIA Novosti 03 Jun 2012 -- The UN Human Rights Council resolution on the Houla massacre in Syria goes beyond its mandate and contradicts the UN Security Council's May 27 statement, Russia's Foreign Ministry said on Sunday.
- Annan's Plan Indispensable for Syria Crisis Settlement – Lavrov RIA Novosti 03 Jun 2012 -- Moscow believes the UN-Arab League envoy Kofi Annan's plan is the indispensable foundation for settlement of Syria's protracted political crisis, Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said on Sunday.
- Clinton: Russia Needs to Back Syrian Transition to Remove Assad VOA 03 Jun 2012 -- U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton is urging Russia to help start a political transition in Syria, the outcome of which she says will be President Bashar al-Assad's ouster.
- Syria's Assad Denies Responsibility for Houla Massacre VOA 03 Jun 2012 -- Syria's president has dismissed accusations his government was responsible for the recent massacre of 108 civilians in the town of Houla. He also charges that forces outside Syria are plotting to destroy the country.
- Supreme Leader: Imam Khomeini provided Iranians a successful model IRNA 03 Jun 2012 -- Supreme Leader of the Islamic Revolution Ayatollah Seyyed Ali Khamenei said that the Iranian nation by relying on teachings of later founder of the Islamic Republic, Imam Khomeini, managed to provide the world with a successful model.
- US: Iranian Accusations Will Not Derail Moscow Talks VOA 03 Jun 2012 -- Iran's supreme leader says the United States and its allies are lying about Iran's nuclear program to cover up their own problems. The Obama administration says it is easy enough for Iran to resolve the dispute by taking concrete steps to demonstrate that it is not developing atomic weapons.
- Egypt Prosecutor to Appeal Mubarak Verdict VOA 03 Jun 2012 -- Egypt's state prosecutor office says it will appeal the sentences handed out in the trial of ousted President Hosni Mubarak, his sons and senior security officials as pro-democracy leaders called for street protests to intensify following the controversial verdicts.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|