Colombian Rebels ‘Agree’ to Release French Reporter
05:29 14/05/2012 MOSCOW, May 14 (RIA Novosti) - Colombia’s FARC guerilla group says it is ready to release a French journalist captured two weeks ago, the Cuban news agency Prensa Latina reported, quoting a statement issued by the rebels.
Romeo Langlois, 35, was accompanying Colombian soldiers on an anti-drug raid in the southern region of Caqueta on April 28 when he was kidnapped by FARC (Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia) rebels.
The guerillas said in their statement they were ready to hand the journalist over to a committee consisting of International Red Cross officials, the former Colombian senator Piedad Cordoba and an envoy of French President-elect Francois Hollande, the news agency said.
A Red Cross official in Colombia confirmed the report, Le Figaro said.
Langlois is France 24 correspondent in Colombia and freelance reporter for Le Figaro.
The Farc have previously said they consider the journalist a “prisoner of war” because he was accompanying an army unit and wearing a military helmet and body armour, the BBC said.
In February, the group promised to stop kidnapping civilians for ransom, and last month released its last remaining military and police captives, the report said.
However, more than 400 civilians are still being held by the FARC, according to the Fundacion Pais Libre, a Colombian NGO.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|