Taliban Kills 7 in Kabul After Obama Visit
May 02, 2012
Insurgents killed at least seven people in an attack targeting foreigners in Kabul Wednesday, just two hours after U.S. President Barack Obama left Afghanistan following a brief unannounced visit.
The Taliban claimed responsibility for the assault on the heavily secured compound housing hundreds of international workers on the eastern outskirts of the capital. They said it was in response to the U.S. president's visit and promised more attacks as they launch their usual "spring offensive" across the country.
Afghan officials and eyewitnesses say a suicide car bomber and militants disguised as women were involved in the deadly assault, which also wounded 17 people, mostly children. Afghan security forces swarmed the area and regained control after hours of gunfire.
NATO spokesman General Carsten Jacobson called the bombing "another desperate attack" that resulted in the deaths of innocent Afghan civilians. He credited the Afghan security forces for quickly responding and said there was no failure in intelligence leading up to the incident.
Meanwhile, NATO officials said a bomb attack killed two service members in the eastern part of the country.
Last month, militants staged one of the largest coordinated assaults in Kabul, which paralyzed the city's center and diplomatic area for nearly 18 hours.
Some information for this report was provided by AP, AFP and Reuters.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|