26 May 2012 Military News
Defense Policy / Programs
- Afghan Parliament Approves U.S.-Afghan Security Pact RFE/RL 26 May 2012 -- Afghanistan's parliament has approved a strategic partnership agreement between Kabul and Washington, clearing the way for a U.S. presence in the country after most foreign combat troops leave in 2014.
- U.S. drone kills 4 people in NW Pakistan IRNA 26 May 2012 -- A U.S. spy aircraft fired missiles into Pakistan's North Waziristan tribal region early Saturday and killed at least four people, residents said.
Defense Policy / Programs
- USS Bremerton (SSN 698) Returns to its Namesake NNS 26 May 2012 -- The Los Angeles-Class attack submarine, USS Bremerton (SSN 698) returned to its namesake city, May 25.
- PCU Mississippi Arrives in Pascagoula NNS 26 May 2012 -- Pre-Commissioning Unit (PCU) Mississippi (SSN 782) received a hearty welcome when the U.S. Navy's newest Virginia-class attack submarine arrived in Pascagoula on May 25.
- Syria: UN officials deplore 'brutal' killing of civilians near Homs UN News Centre 26 May 2012 -- Top United Nations officials on Saturday strongly condemned the killing of over 90 civilians, including 32 children, and the wounding of hundreds more in a village near Homs, and stressed that those responsible must be held accountable.
- UN Chief's Report, Escalating Violence Show Situation Worsening In Syria RFE/RL 26 May 2012 -- UN secretary general Ban Ki-moon has released a report on Syria to the UN Security Council that painted a grim picture at a time when news coming from the Middle Eastern country supported his sobering portrayal.
- Free Syrian Army Drops Annan's Peace Plan – Al Jazeera RIA Novosti 26 May 2012 -- An opposition Free Syrian Army (FSA) said on Saturday it would not adhere to the peace plan, brokered by the UN and Arab League envoy Kofi Annan, unless the UN Security Council ensures safety for civilians, Al Jazeera reported.
- Opposition: More Than 90 Killed in Syrian Government Shelling VOA 26 May 2012 -- Activists say Syrian government shelling since Friday has killed more than 90 people, including many children, in some of the worst violence since an uprising against Syria's regime began more than a year ago.
- Egyptian Candidate Vows Not to Re-Create Old Regime VOA 26 May 2012 -- Egyptian presidential candidate Ahmed Shafiq has praised the 'glorious' revolution that toppled President Hosni Mubarak, and he vowed there will be no 're-creation' of the old regime if he is elected.
- PM Medvedev to be Elected as United Russia Leader RIA Novosti 26 May 2012 -- Russia's ruling United Russia party will elect Prime Minister Dmitry Medvedev as party leader at a party congress on Saturday.
- Europe's ATV-3 Spacecraft to Raise Space Station Orbit RIA Novosti 26 May 2012 -- Two main engines of European Space Agency's ATV-3 space freighter will be switched on early on Saturday to readjust the orbit of the International Space Station (ISS), Russian Mission Control said.
- ISS Astronauts Inspect, Praise SpaceX Dragon VOA 26 May 2012 -- Less than 24 hours after the Dragon capsule docked with the International Space Station, astronauts opened the hatch and floated into the first private spacecraft to ever reach their orbiting outpost.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|