01 May 2012 Military News
Defense Policy / Programs
- OIF/OEF/OND Casualty Update 01 May 2012 [PDF]
- Enduring Strategic Partnership Agreement between the United States of America and the Islamic Republic of Afghanistan 01 May 2012
- Remarks by President Obama in Address to the Nation from Afghanistan The White House 01 May 2012
- Remarks by President Obama and President Hamid Karzai of Afghanistan at Signing of Strategic Partnership Agreement The White House 01 May 2012
- Fact Sheet: The U.S.-Afghanistan Strategic Partnership Agreement The White House 01 May 2012
- Secretary of Defense Leon E. Panetta Statement on U.S.-Afghanistan Strategic Partnership Agreement DoD 01 May 2012
- Remarks by the President to the Troops in Afghanistan The White House 01 May 2012
- Press Briefing by Senior Administration Officials on Strategic Partnership Agreement between the United States and Afghanistan The White House 01 May 2012
- Background Briefing by Senior Administration Officials on President Obama’s Trip to Afghanistan The White House 01 May 2012
- President Updates Nation on Afghanistan Mission AFPS 01 May 2012 -- President Barack Obama took to the airwaves at Bagram Airfield to update the American people on the mission in Afghanistan.
- Panetta: Agreement Shows Partnership’s Strength, Resilience AFPS 01 May 2012 -- The strategic partnership agreement demonstrates that the relationship between the United States and Afghanistan is strong and resilient.
- Trip Stresses Long-term Support for Afghanistan, Official Says AFPS 01 May 2012 -- President Barack Obama traveled to Afghanistan to sign the strategic partnership agreement with Afghan President Hamid Karzai and to reinforce the level of American commitment to the country.
- Obama, Karzai Sign Partnership Agreement in Kabul AFPS 01 May 2012 -- President Barack Obama and Afghan President Hamid Karzai signed an agreement that commits the nations to negotiating and building a strategic partnership that will frame their future relationship.
- Obama Signs Strategic Afghan Pact During Surprise Visit VOA 01 May 2012 -- U.S. President Barack Obama arrived in Afghanistan and signed a strategic partnership agreement with his Afghan counterpart, Hamid Karzai.
- Obama, Karzai Ink Strategic Partnership Agreement RFE/RL 01 May 2012 -- U.S. President Barack Obama and Afghan President Hamid Karzai have signed a strategic partnership agreement that will broadly govern relations between the two nations following the withdrawal of U.S. troops from Afghanistan.
- President Arrives in Kabul to Sign Pact, Address Nation AFPS 01 May 2012 -- President Barack Obama arrived in Afghanistan’s capital of Kabul today for a whirlwind visit with Afghan and NATO leaders.
- Combined Force Detains Taliban Leader AFPS 01 May 2012 -- An Afghan and coalition security force detained a Taliban leader and several other suspected insurgents in the Washer district of Afghanistan’s Helmand province.
- PRT Laghman closes, Afghan district ready to stand on own AFNS 01 May 2012 -- Provincial Reconstruction Team Laghman is closing and officials are handing the reins over to the Afghan people in the district.
- Section 1230 Report on Progress Toward Security and Stability in Afghanistan DoD 01 May 2012
- Afghan, NATO Forces Build on Security Progress AFPS 01 May 2012 -- Afghan and NATO forces are building on the progress made in Afghanistan, but problems still plague efforts in the country.
- Afghans Protest Deadly Night Raid VOA 01 May 2012 -- Hundreds of demonstrators blocked a key highway in eastern Afghanistan Tuesday, protesting an Afghan-NATO raid of killing two civilians.
- Afghan Protesters Accuse NATO Of Killing Four Children During Taliban Clash RFE/RL 01 May 2012 -- Hundreds of protesters have gathered in southern Afghanistan, chanting anti-American slogans and carrying the bodies of four children they said were killed by NATO forces during a clash with the Taliban.
- Afghan Security Official Says Senior Taliban Member Killed For Seeking Peace Talks RFE/RL 01 May 2012 -- Afghanistan's security chief has announced that a top-ranking member of the Afghan Taliban has been captured and killed in Pakistan.
- 3 YORKS takes control of Nahr-e Saraj UK MOD 01 May 2012 -- 5th Battalion The Rifles handed over responsibility for security in Nahr-e Saraj (South) in Helmand province to 3rd Battalion The Yorkshire Regiment on 29 April 2012.
- India, Afghanistan Boost Strategic Ties VOA 01 May 2012 -- The chief diplomats of India and Afghanistan have inaugurated a new council aimed at deepening their strategic ties.
- India, Afghanistan set in motion strategic partnership pact IRNA 01 May 2012 -- India assured that its assistance was neither 'transitory' nor in 'transition' to Afghanistan.
- Alaska Stryker brigade comes home Army News 01 May 2012 -- In a dimly lit hangar here April 22, friends and families gathered anxiously awaiting the arrival of more than 300 Arctic Wolves Soldiers returning from a yearlong deployment in Southern Afghanistan.
- Drone strikes complicate uneasy Pak-US relationship IRNA 01 May 2012 -- Latest US drone strike in Pakistan has again complicated already uneasy relationship between US and Pakistan.
- Car Bomb Kills Two In Pakistan, Taliban Claims Responsibility RFE/RL 01 May 2012 -- Police say a car bomb has killed two people and wounded 16, including five paramilitary troops in Pakistan's southwest.
- Pakistan, still in state of war, army chief IRNA 01 May 2012 -- Pakistan’s Army Chief Gen Ashfaq Parvez Kayani has said that the country is still in the state of war but will emerge ?victorious in its fight against the terrorists and extremists’.
- Secretary Panetta Media Availabilities on the One Year Anniversary of the Bin Laden Raid DoD 01 May 2012
- Muslims In Key Countries Have Negative View Of Al-Qaeda RFE/RL 01 May 2012 -- A new U.S. poll finds that a majority of Muslims in five countries surveyed – including Pakistan -- have a negative view of Al-Qaeda.
- Obama Denies Politicizing Bin Laden Raid VOA 01 May 2012 -- U.S. President Barack Obama says his administration is not politicizing the raid that killed Osama bin Laden.
- Year Later, Bin Laden Killing Still Colors Pakistan-US Ties VOA 01 May 2012 -- One year ago, one of the most expensive manhunts in history ended when U.S. forces killed Osama bin Laden in Pakistan.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Dempsey Explains Defense Strategy at Nation’s Oldest ‘Think Tank’ AFPS 01 May 2012 -- The chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff today discussed the new national defense strategy and its core pillars in remarks at the nation’s oldest international affairs “think tank.”
- Space Command TacSat 3 burns up in atmosphere AFNS 01 May 2012 -- Today marked the end of Air Force Space Command's Tactical Satellite 3 after it de-orbited into and burned up in the Earth's atmosphere.
- Taiwan to mull letter of request for purchase of F-16C/Ds: official CNA 01 May 2012 -- Taiwan will continue to negotiate with the United States on the sale of F-16C/D jet fighters.
- Now's the time for Taiwan to request F-16 C/Ds: council head CNA 01 May 2012 -- The time is right for Taiwan to request price and availability data for F-16 C/D fighters again, the head of the U.S.-Taiwan Business Council said.
- Roosevelt, Truman Personnel Join Abraham Lincoln Crew for Deployment NNS 01 May 2012 -- USS Abraham Lincoln welcomed more than 50 shipmates from two sister carriers, May 1, for temporary assigned duty to gain sea experience as the ship conducts missions in support of Operation Enduring Freedom.
- Final Archive Search Report gives insight to past herbicide tests conducted at Fort Detrick Army News 01 May 2012 -- The final Archive Search Report of the outdoor testing of herbicides at Fort Detrick during the 1940's through 1960's, with the important details presented to the Fort Detrick Restoration Advisory Board, April 18.
- Special Warfare Education Group (Airborne) activates headquarters company Army News 01 May 2012 -- The newly established Special Warfare Education Group (Airborne) formally activated its Headquarters and Headquarters Company during a ceremony May 1.
- Army asks for armed aerial scout demonstration Army News 01 May 2012 -- The Army released to industry, April 25, a "request for information" about a replacement for the OH-58D Kiowa Warrior aircraft.
- Space operator, KC-135 crew team for 'science project' AFNS 01 May 2012 -- Power of integration seen first-hand by crews of the KC-135 Stratotanker force recently in Southwest Asia, thanks to Capt. Tracy "Mickey" Lloyd, a deployed member of the director of space forces team.
- Soldiers execute realistic scenario, face hybrid threat as NIE begins Army News 01 May 2012 -- The Army's largest ever network field exercise rolled into action, as more than 4,000 Soldiers began to execute a rigorous scenario.
- Uncovering the colorless core of the Army's network Army News 01 May 2012 -- The "colorless core" is carrying the Army's network into the future, enabling Soldiers to send information across the battlefield securely and efficiently, even when on the move.
- USFF, Canadian Forces Partner for Exercise Frontier Sentinel 12 NNS 01 May 2012 -- The combined U.S. and Canadian Exercise Frontier Sentinel 12 formally kicked off with a live diving demonstration by the Royal Canadian Navy's, Fleet Diving Unit Atlantic, at the Sydney Marine Terminal, May 1.
- Vipers' support U.S. border patrol in Arizona Army News 01 May 2012 -- More than 100 Soldiers assigned to the 103rd Engineer Company on a 30-day deployment in support of the U.S. Border Patrol's Southwest border infrastructure improvement and construction program.
- U.S. Horse Detachment smuggles illegal weapons Army News 01 May 2012 -- Troopers from the Horse Detachment, Regimental Support Squadron, 11th Armored Cavalry Regiment provide training to counter the threat of smuggling for rotational training Soldiers on the fictional borders of Donovia and Atropia.
- Battleship Iowa Formally Transferred to Pacific Battleship Center NNS 01 May 2012 -- The Navy formally transferred ownership of the historic battleship Iowa to the Pacific Battleship Center April 30.
- USS Independence to Arrive in San Diego NNS 01 May 2012 -- The USS Independence is scheduled to arrive at Naval Base San Diego May 2, marking the completion of the ship's maiden voyage to her homeport.
- USS Fort McHenry Departs NAS Key West NNS 01 May 2012 -- The USS Fort McHenry departed NAS Key West, Fla., April 18, following a scheduled four-day port visit.
- DOD Facilities Drive Technology for Secure Power AFPS 01 May 2012 -- As the nation’s top energy user, the Defense Department is pushing commercialization of the technology it needs to lower costs and keep its facilities secure, the deputy undersecretary of defense for installations and environment said.
- Navy Drug Screening Lab San Diego CO Relieved NNS 01 May 2012 -- The commanding officer of the Navy and Marine Corps Public Health Center, Portsmouth, Va., relieved the commanding officer of the Navy Drug Screening Laboratory, San Diego, May 1.
- USS Columbia Commanding Officer, Chief of the Boat Relieved NNS 01 May 2012 -- The commanding officer and chief of the boat of USS Columbia were relieved of duties May 1 by the commander of Submarine Squadron 7, at Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam, Hawaii.
- NATO May Decide on Stepping Up Missile Defense in Chicago RIA Novosti 01 May 2012 -- NATO is likely to make new decisions on the further deployment of the European missile defense shield during summit in Chicago.
- HMS Diamond fires Sea Viper missile for first time UK MOD 01 May 2012 -- HMS Diamond has proved her fighting mettle by testing her missile system for the first time off the Outer Hebrides.
- Dedicated satellites for India Navy, Air Force will be launched soon IRNA 01 May 2012 -- The dedicated communication satellites for Indian Navy and Air Force will be launched in the next two years.
- Indian Navy strengthens presence in Lakshadweep with new base IRNA 01 May 2012 -- Indian Navy commissioned its latest base 'INS Dweeprakshak' at Kavaratti in Kochi, Union Territory.
- Japan Is Not Pacific State: Minju Joson KCNA 01 May 2012 -- Japan has long covered the path of military expansion deceiving the international community under the mask of a "pacific state".
- U.S. Department of State Daily Press Briefing, May 1, 2012 US Dept. of State 01 May 2012
- Daily Press Briefing by the Office of the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General, 01 May 2012 United Nations 01 May 2012
- Press Conference by UN Peacekeeping Chief on Supervision Mission in Syria, 01 May 2012 United Nations 01 May 2012
- UN peacekeeping chief calls on parties in Syria to ensure cessation of violence UN News Centre 01 May 2012 -- The head of United Nations peacekeeping operations called on all parties in Syria to ensure the cessation of violence is observed.
- UN: Syrian Heavy Weapons Still in Cities VOA 01 May 2012 -- The U.N.’s peacekeeping chief said that the Syrian government still has heavy weapons in cities, and that both the government and opposition have committed violations of a U.N.-brokered truce.
- UN to Send 300 Peacekeepers to Syria by End of May RIA Novosti 01 May 2012 -- The UN will send its 300 international unarmed observers to Syria by the end of May, the head of the UN peacekeeping body, Herve Ladsous said.
- 23 Killed in Syria Attacks as Pressure Mounts on UN Observers VOA 01 May 2012 -- Syrian activists say violence has killed at least 23 people, as more U.N. observers began deploying to back cease-fire plan.
- UN envoy urges protection of children from violence in Syria UN News Centre 01 May 2012 -- The United Nations envoy for children and armed conflict said she was alarmed by another wave of extreme violence which had resulted in the deaths and injuries of children across Syria.
- UN Says At Least 34 Children Killed In Syria Since Truce RFE/RL 01 May 2012 -- The United Nations says at least 34 children have allegedly been killed in Syria since a fragile cease-fire took hold on April 12.
- IOM: Deadline to Repatriate Thousands of South Sudanese Unrealistic VOA 01 May 2012 -- The International Organization for Migration is urging authorities in Sudan’s White Nile State to extend a Saturday deadline for repatriating 12,000 to 15,000 South Sudanese nationals.
- More Gunfire in Mali After Alleged Counter-Coup Attempt VOA 01 May 2012 -- Gunfire could still be heard Tuesday morning in Mali's capital, Bamako, after heavy fighting throughout Monday between rival factions of the army.
- MALI: Negotiating humanitarian access in the north IRIN 01 May 2012 -- Aid agencies in northern Mali are debating how or whether they should negotiate with newly installed rebel groups such to reach people in need.
- Path to Restoring Mali’s Democracy Set Back, Says Politician VOA 01 May 2012 -- A prominent politician in Mali says the ongoing military crisis is a distraction to the aim of restoring constitutional rule in the West African nation.
- UN and partners issue warning against Somali peace process spoilers UN News Centre 01 May 2012 -- The United Nations and its partners in Somalia warned individual groups against jeopardizing a roadmap for ending the transition in the east African country.
- UN, AU, IGAD Warn Against Spoiling Somali Transition VOA 01 May 2012 -- The United Nations and two African bodies are warning they will impose sanctions on anyone who tries to disrupt Somalia's move toward a new constitution.
- Nigerian Soldiers Raid Suspected Militant Lair VOA 01 May 2012 -- Nigerian military forces have raided a suspected militant hideout in an operation authorities said targeted suspects from a deadly attack.
- In Hong Kong, Maritime Militarization on Display VOA 01 May 2012 -- The Yuncheng 571 frigate docks at Hong Kong's Victoria harbor for a five-day visit, and following just behind is the Haikou 171 destroyer.
- Taiwan renews sovereignty claim over South China Sea islands CNA 01 May 2012 -- The Ministry of Foreign Affairs said that Taiwan remains willing to work with other countries on exploring resources in the South China Sea.
- UN human rights expert ‘appalled’ by ongoing violations in Israeli prisons UN News Centre 01 May 2012 -- An independent United Nations expert appalled by the ongoing human rights violations in Israeli prisons amid a wave of hunger strikes by Palestinian prisoners.
- Libya: UN mission voices concern over detainee deaths UN News Centre 01 May 2012 -- The United Nations mission for Libya has expressed its concern to the country’s authorities over the recent deaths of three people in a detention centre.
- LIBYA: Thousands still afraid to return home IRIN 01 May 2012 -- Thousands of displaced Libyans are still living in abandoned construction sites, empty student dormitories or with host families, too afraid to return to their homes.
- Iran holds 2nd day of Persian Gulf Conference in Abu Musa IRNA 01 May 2012 -- Iran celebrated second day of the Third Persian Gulf Conference in Abu Moussa Island.
- Executive Order - Prohibiting Certain Transactions with and Suspending Entry into the United States of Foreign Sanctions Evaders with Respect to Iran and Syria The White House 01 May 2012
- Letter - Prohibiting Certain Transactions with and Suspending Entry into the United States of Foreign Sanctions Evaders with Respect to Iran and Syria The White House 01 May 2012
- No Softening on Iran: Israeli Defense Minister VOA 01 May 2012 -- Israeli Defense Minister Ehud Barak is maintaining the government's hard line against Iran's nuclear program.
- Israeli Defense Minister Leaves 'All Options' On Table With Iran RFE/RL 01 May 2012 -- Israeli Defense Minister Barak has said "all options to prevent Iran from getting nuclear weapons should remain on the table."
- Clues found to bring perpetrators of cyber attacks to justice IRNA 01 May 2012 -- Clues have been found to bring perpetrators of cyber attacks to justice and the prosecutor is following up the case.
- Clinton Says She Will Discuss All 'Pending' Rights Issues in Beijing RFE/RL 01 May 2012 -- U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton has left for Beijing, where she will raise human rights issues with Chinese officials.
- Ban hails Aung San Suu Kyi as ‘symbol of hope’ during meeting in Myanmar UN News Centre 01 May 2012 -- Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon hailed Daw Aung San Suu Kyi as a symbol of hope for human rights worldwide.
- UN Chief Praises Burma's Suu Kyi for Ending Boycott of Parliament VOA 01 May 2012 -- United Nations Secretary General, Ban Ki-moon met with Burmese democracy leader Aung San Suu Kyi for the first time in Rangoon.
- UN Chief Praises Suu Kyi For 'Flexibility' On Parliamentary Oath RFE/RL 01 May 2012 -- UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon has praised Myanmar opposition leader Aung San Suu Kyi for agreeing to take a parliamentary oath despite her continued objection to its wording.
- Supreme Court ruling does not deal with disqualification: Gilani IRNA 01 May 2012 -- Pakistani Prime Minister Yousaf Raza Gilani said conviction in contempt case against him is not related to disqualification.
- Zimbabwe’s Draft Constitution Delivered to Government VOA 01 May 2012 -- In Zimbabwe, a parliament committee drafting a new constitution has finally submitted it to the government, almost two years behind schedule.
- NEPAL: Muslims call for constitutional input IRIN 01 May 2012 -- According to the Nepal Central Bureau of Statistics, 4.2 percent of Nepal's 30 million inhabitants are Muslim.
- Putin to Resume Presidency VOA 01 May 2012 -- On May 7, Vladimir Putin returns to the Kremlin to rule Russia as president.
- French Far Right Key to Election Outcome VOA 01 May 2012 -- France's far-right National Front party leader Marine Le Pen finished a strong third in the first round of presidential elections last month.
- Bolivia Government Seizes Spanish-Owned Power Company VOA 01 May 2012 -- Bolivian President Evo Morales says the government is taking over the Spanish-owned power company and he ordered the army to seize control of the electricity grid.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|