30 April 2012 Military News
Defense Policy / Programs
- OIF/OEF/OND Casualty Update 30 Apr 2012 [PDF]
- Remarks of John O. Brennan: "The Ethics and Efficacy of the President’s Counterterrorism Strategy" The White House 30 Apr 2012
- Top US Official: Drone Strikes 'Legal, Ethical and Wise' in Terror Fight VOA 30 Apr 2012 -- A senior counter-terrorism advisor to U.S. President Barack Obama says targeted drone strikes abroad are a legal, ethical and wise option in order to ensure national security.
- Official Confirms U.S. Carries Out Drone Strikes RFE/RL 30 Apr 2012 -- White House counterterrorism chief John Brennan has publicly acknowledged the practice of drone strikes against Al-Qaeda targets.
- Combined Force Detains Taliban Facilitator AFPS 30 Apr 2012 -- An Afghan-led and coalition-supported security force detained a Taliban facilitator, detained two additional insurgents and seized multiple weapons in Kandahar province.
- Afghan Army clears area of IEDs UK MOD 30 Apr 2012 -- The Afghan National Army's first major operation this spring has resulted in the clearance of improvised explosive devices from a 25-square-kilometre area and the recovery of three weapons caches.
- Afghan Youths Stage Protest Against Warlords RFE/RL 30 Apr 2012 -- Hundreds of Afghan youths have protested in Kabul against the country's former warlords.
- Pakistan says will take up drone strikes issue with US IRNA 30 Apr 2012 -- Pakistan said that the issue of American drone strikes will be taken up with the U.S. authorities a day after a spy aircraft killed at least four people in North Waziristan tribal region.
- Pakistan Issues New Condemnation After U.S. Drone Strike RFE/RL 30 Apr 2012 -- Pakistan has issued a fresh condemnation of U.S. drone strikes after an attack by an unmanned aircraft killed three suspected militants in northwest Pakistan.
- US Uses Advanced Intelligence to Hunt LRA in Central Africa VOA 30 Apr 2012 -- Last year, U.S. President Barack Obama authorized the deployment of about 100 U.S. special forces troops to help capture or kill members of the LRA.
- Bin Laden's Memory Lives On In Hideout Town RFE/RL 30 Apr 2012 -- Swaths of rubble are all that remain of Osama bin Laden's compound in the Pakistani garrison town of Abbottabad.
- Obama Notes bin Laden Mission as Anniversary Nears AFPS 30 Apr 2012 -- President Barack Obama praised the U.S. military and intelligence communities as he reflected on the approaching one-year anniversary of the mission that killed al-Qaida leader and 9/11 mastermind Osama bin Laden.
- Multi-tasking to the end: Units executed varied missions for troop withdrawal, other tasks Army News 30 Apr 2012 -- Flexibility has been the watchword for three Army National Guard units moving in and out of Kuwait.
Defense Policy / Programs
- United States-Japan Joint Statement: A Shared Vision for the Future The White House 30 Apr 2012
- Fact Sheet: United States-Japan Cooperative Initiatives The White House 30 Apr 2012
- Remarks by President Obama and Prime Minister Noda of Japan at Joint Press Conference The White House 30 Apr 2012
- New Joint Vision to Guide U.S.-Japan Alliance, Obama Says AFPS 30 Apr 2012 -- A new joint vision with Japan will help to shape the future of the Asia-Pacific region for decades to come, President Barack Obama said today.
- Obama Sidesteps Issue of Asylum for Chinese Dissident Chen VOA 30 Apr 2012 -- President Barack Obama avoided comment when asked by reporters whether the United States would offer political asylum to an escaped Chinese dissident.
- Joint Statement of the United States-Philippines Ministerial Dialogue Released DoD 30 Apr 2012
- Secretary Clinton Remarks With Secretary of Defense Leon Panetta, Philippines Foreign Secretary Albert del Rosario, and Philippines Defense Secretary Voltaire Gazmin After Their Meeting US Dept. of State 30 Apr 2012
- U.S., Philippines Hold Historic Bilateral Meeting AFPS 30 Apr 2012 -- U.S. and Philippine defense and foreign affairs leaders held the nations’ first “two-plus-two” meeting here today, amid the rise of common challenges and the growing security and economic importance of the Asia-Pacific region.
- Readout of Secretary Panetta’s Meeting with Italian Minister of Defense DoD 30 Apr 2012
- Panetta Hosts Italian Counterpart at Pentagon AFPS 30 Apr 2012 -- Defense Secretary Leon E. Panetta met with Italian Defense Minister Giampaolo Di Paola at the Pentagon.
- Airborne radar prepped for missile defense testing Army News 30 Apr 2012 -- A new air defense radar system is undergoing testing on White Sands Missile Range to ready it for later integrated testing with the Navy this fall.
- ONR-Sponsored Flexrotor Program Takes off for Next Phase NNS 30 Apr 2012 -- The Office of Naval Research-sponsored Flexrotor vertical takeoff and landing unmanned aerial vehicle enters the next development phase.
- Radar capabilities earn technology award Army News 30 Apr 2012 -- Wide-ranging and expanding radar missions for the armed forces have earned Tobyhanna Army Depot first place in the 2012 Pennsylvania Technology Awards "Best Application of Technology" category.
- Maryland Army Guard unveils newest helicopter in its arsenal Army News 30 Apr 2012 -- The Maryland Army National Guard unveiled its first of four UH-72A Lakota helicopters, April 18.
- Making SPARKs: Anniston fabricates mine rollers Army News 30 Apr 2012 -- Anniston Army Depot has long been known for its work on heavy tracked vehicles, but one of the installation's latest programs involves some heavy wheels.
- AF Reserve, FBI train together during 'Patriot Sands' AFNS 30 Apr 2012 -- Five Reserve units and a federal agency teamed up April 26-29 in Florida for Patriot Sands, an airlift training exercise simulating deployed bare base conditions with limited support.
- USS Underwood Completes COMTUEX NNS 30 Apr 2012 -- The USS Underwood completed Composite Training Unit Exercise April 30 and is deploying to Central and South America and the Caribbean in support of Southern Seas 2012.
- Airmen who exceed deployed time get added time off AFNS 30 Apr 2012 -- Airmen who serve in excess of the Secretary of Defense's established rotation goals are now eligible for additional time off, as written in the newly updated Post Deployment or Mobilization Respite Absence policy, officials said.
- Air Force Specialty Code changes take effect in May AFNS 30 Apr 2012 -- Various officer and enlisted Air Force Specialty Code changes will take effect in May, Air Force Personnel Center officials said.
- Major exercise tests Olympics security preparations UK MOD 30 Apr 2012 -- A major military and civilian exercise is taking place this week to help make the London 2012 Olympic Games as safe and secure as possible.
- Huge scope for exporting weapon system: DRDO chief IRNA 30 Apr 2012 -- The weapon system and defence technology developed by Defence Research and Development Organisation are competitive.
- Taiwan conducts more live-fire drills in recent years: minister CNA 30 Apr 2012 -- Taiwan has conducted more military exercises and live-fire drills in recent years to strengthen the country's defense capabilities.
- Defense min: Iran enjoys high tech to design heavy-duty planes IRNA 30 Apr 2012 -- Minister of Defense and Logistics of Armed Forces Brigadier General Vahidi: Iran could attain a level of high technology to design heavy-duty airplanes.
- Jumunjin Naval Battle, Unprecedented in War History KCNA 30 Apr 2012 -- Some days ago, the dear respected Kim Jong Un made an inspection tour of a naval unit of the Korean People's Army.
- U.S. Department of State Daily Press Briefing, April 30, 2012 US Dept. of State 30 Apr 2012
- Daily Press Briefing by the Office of the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General, 30 April 2012 United Nations 30 Apr 2012
- Ban condemns terrorist bombings in Syria UN News Centre 30 Apr 2012 -- Secretary-General Ban has condemned terrorist bombing in the Syrian city of Idlib.
- Multiple Blasts Rock Northern Syrian Town VOA 30 Apr 2012 -- A Syrian activist group says two car bomb blasts in the northern town of Idlib killed at least 20 people.
- Reports Say 20 Killed In Syria Suicide Blasts RFE/RL 30 Apr 2012 -- The British-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights says a third blast has rocked the northwestern Syrian city of Idlib.
- Over 170 Syrian Rebels Give Up Armed Struggle RIA Novosti 30 Apr 2012 -- Over 170 rebels in Syria have given up armed struggle and surrendered to the Syrian authorities.
- South Sudan Accuses North of Attacks, Khartoum Denies VOA 30 Apr 2012 -- South Sudan's army says Sudan has launched attacks along the two countries' border.
- Sudan Ready for Peace Talks with South Sudan – Lavrov RIA Novosti 30 Apr 2012 -- Sudan has informed Moscow of its readiness to start negotiations with South Sudan to settle their conflict, Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said.
- Russian, Sudanese Foreign Ministers to Meet in Moscow RIA Novosti 30 Apr 2012 -- Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov will on Monday hold talks with his Sudanese counterpart Ali Karti.
- AU Claims Defeat of al-Shabab in Mogadishu VOA 30 Apr 2012 -- The African Union military force in Somalia has declared victory over al-Qaida-linked rebels in Mogadishu.
- Residents Flee Rebel Soldiers in Eastern DRC VOA 30 Apr 2012 -- Thousands of people have been forced to flee their homes in eastern Democratic Republic of Congo after fighting erupted between government forces and soldiers loyal to General Bosco Ntaganda.
- Official Urges Nigerians to Provide Intelligence for Security Challenges VOA 30 Apr 2012 -- The spokesman for Nigeria’s Defense Headquarters has called on citizens to provide actionable intelligence to help combat the country’s security challenges.
- Suicide Bombing Kills 11 in Nigeria VOA 30 Apr 2012 -- Authorities in eastern Nigeria say a suicide bombing targeting a police official has killed 11 people.
- In dispute with China, Philippines foreign secretary has had enough CNA 30 Apr 2012 -- The Philippines' secretary of foreign affairs is refusing to meet with the Chinese ambassador to the country to discuss tensions in the South China Sea.
- Lawmakers' visits to Taiping Island 'normal:' defense minister CNA 30 Apr 2012 -- Visits by Taiwan lawmakers to military and coast guard personnel posted on Taiping Island in the disputed South China Sea are routine events.
- Lawmakers visit Taiping Island to defend Taiwan's sovereignty CNA 30 Apr 2012 -- A group of Taiwan lawmakers of the ruling Kuomintang visited Taiwan-controlled Taiping Island to defend the country's sovereignty in the disputed South China Sea region.
- Bosniak Ex-Soldier Becomes First Woman Convicted Of War Crimes RFE/RL 30 Apr 2012 -- A Bosnian Muslim has become the first woman to be convicted by a Bosnian court of war crimes.
- Fugitive Iraqi Vice President Charged With Murdering Six Judges RFE/RL 30 Apr 2012 -- Iraq's judiciary has said the country's fugitive Sunni vice president, Tariq al-Hashemi, has been charged with murdering six judges and a series of other killings.
- Russia to Take Every Effort to Return Russians Detained in Libya – Lavrov RIA Novosti 30 Apr 2012 -- Russia will spare no effort to return Russian nationals detained in Libya, Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said.
- Hormozgan Gov: Project to turn Abu Moussa to tourism pole approved IRNA 30 Apr 2012 -- Governor of Hormozgan province said project on turning Iranian Abu Moussa Island to a tourism pole according to government ratification has been prepared and its executive phase would begin in near future.
- Expectation Grows for Potential North Korean Nuclear Test VOA 30 Apr 2012 -- North Korea is giving no official indication it is preparing a third attempted nuclear test.
- Clinton Heading to China Vowing to Raise Human Rights Concerns VOA 30 Apr 2012 -- U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton is heading to China vowing to again raise human rights concerns.
- Chinese Dissident At U.S. Embassy Ahead Of Bilateral Talks RFE/RL 30 Apr 2012 -- Blind Chinese rights activist Chen Guangcheng has found shelter in the U.S. Embassy in Beijing, but is not seeking asylum.
- Mystery Death in China Prompts British Demands for Investigation VOA 30 Apr 2012 -- The death of British businessman Neil Heywood in the Chinese city of Chongqing has caused Beijing's biggest political scandal in years.
- Ban praises Myanmar’s progress and urges further partnership UN News Centre 30 Apr 2012 -- During a historic address to Myanmar’s parliament, Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon today emphasized the importance of partnerships.
- Burma Opposition Ends Boycott as UN Chief Addresses Parliament VOA 30 Apr 2012 -- Burmese pro-democracy leader Aung San Suu Kyi and her opposition National League for Democracy party have ended their week-long boycott of parliament.
- UN Chief Encourages Further Easing of Burma Sanctions VOA 30 Apr 2012 -- United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon urged a further easing of economic and political sanctions against Burma, during an unprecedented speech to the country's parliament.
- Myanmar's Suu Kyi To Join Parliament Amid Historic Visit By UN Chief RFE/RL 30 Apr 2012 -- Myanmar opposition leader Aung San Suu Kyi has dropped her refusal to take her seat in the newly elected parliament.
- Burma Plans First Census in 31 Years VOA 30 Apr 2012 -- Burma plans to conduct its first census in 31 years, a key step in political reforms that could have a big impact on the country’s marginalized minorities.
- Uneasy Calm Returns to Mali Following Heavy Fighting VOA 30 Apr 2012 -- A prominent politician in Mali says an alleged counter coup d’état orchestrated late Monday night by a section of the military seems to have failed.
- Gunfire Erupts in Mali VOA 30 Apr 2012 -- Witnesses in Mali say gunfire has broken out in the capital, Bamako, about a month after a military coup d'état.
- Rights Group Reports Evidence of War Crimes in Mali VOA 30 Apr 2012 -- International human rights experts say the armed groups occupying northern Mali have committed war crimes, including rape and using children as combatants.
- Death toll from Karachi violence reaches 20 IRNA 30 Apr 2012 -- Police in the Pakistani southern port city of Karachi has faced stiff resistance from heavily armed men.
- DRC Prime Minister Unveils Smaller Government VOA 30 Apr 2012 -- The new prime minister of the Democratic Republic of Congo, Matata Ponyo Mapon, has named the ministers who make up his new government.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|