27 April 2012 Military News
- OIF/OEF/OND Casualty Update 27 Apr 2012 [PDF]
- Combined Force Captures Haqqani Leader AFPS 27 Apr 2012 -- An Afghan and coalition security force captured a Haqqani leader during an operation in the Nadir Shah Kot district of Afghanistan's Khost province today, military officials reported.
- Afghan, Pakistani, US diplomats begin peace talks IRNA 27 Apr 2012 -- Top Afghan, Pakistani and U.S. diplomats Friday opened talks in Islamabad to review peace and reconciliation process in Afghanistan, officials and diplomats said.
- 'Dragons' prepare for series of firsts Army News 27 Apr 2012 -- The 4th Infantry Brigade Combat Team will soon encounter a series of firsts: its first deployment to Afghanistan, the first Army brigade to deploy for nine months and the first time in three deployments it will serve under its higher headquarters, the 1st Infantry Division.
Defense Policy / Programs
- U.S., Japan Agree on Okinawa Troop Relocation AFPS 27 Apr 2012 -- U.S. and Japanese officials announced yesterday the two nations have agreed on a plan to relocate U.S. Marines from Okinawa to Guam.
- US, Japan Reach Agreement to Move 9,000 Marines VOA 27 Apr 2012 -- The United States and Japan have reached an agreement to move about 9,000 U.S. Marines on the Japanese island of Okinawa to locations outside of Japan. U.S. Defense Secretary Leon Panetta, traveling in Santiago, Chile, Thursday, is applauding the deal that will see the Marines moved to other locations in the Asia-Pacific region.
- Plan to Move Marines Off Okinawa Faces Challenges VOA 27 Apr 2012 -- Friday's announcement by the United States and Japan that 9,000 U.S. Marines will be transferred from a base on the Japanese island of Okinawa is being hailed as a major diplomatic accomplishment. But there are also concerns the actual transfer will be fraught with numerous complications.
- Japan Welcomes US Base Agreement VOA 27 Apr 2012 -- The Japanese government is welcoming an agreement with the United States on the redeployment of U.S. marines from Okinawa.
- USS San Juan Changes Commanders NNS 27 Apr 2012 -- Los Angeles-class attack submarine USS San Juan (SSN 751), held a change of command ceremony aboard the submarine at Naval Submarine Base New London in Groton, Conn., April 27.
- Service Personnel Leaders Testify on Budget Request AFPS 27 Apr 2012 -- Army, Navy and Air Force leaders detailed plans for force readiness and service member support when they briefed a Senate committee this week on budget requests for next year.
- Defense Policy, Security Nominees Emphasize Strategic Focus AFPS 27 Apr 2012 -- Two nominees, who if confirmed will have a wide range of defense responsibilities between them, yesterday told the Senate Armed Services Committee that American leadership is essential to global security efforts.
- SDDC's 598th Transportation Brigade relocates to Germany Army News 27 Apr 2012 -- In accordance with the Department of Defense and the Department of the Army, the 598th Transportation Brigade Headquarters and 838th Transportation Battalion Headquarters, both elements of the Military Surface Deployment and Distribution Command, will relocate from Rotterdam, The Netherlands, to the Kaiserslautern Military Community in Germany.
- Air Force delivers precision resupply to the joint warfighter AFNS 27 Apr 2012 -- The 317th Airlift Group successfully completed a precision airdrop capability demonstration to a distinguished panel of visitors at Fort Hood, Texas, during the U.S. Transportation Command Component Commander's Conference on April 24.
- 'Ironman' a game-changer on battlefield Army News 27 Apr 2012 -- Winkowski gave prototype to forward-deployed science advisers from the U.S. Army Research, Development and Engineering Command.
- U.S., Bangladesh airmen switch seats during exercise Cope South 12 AFNS 27 Apr 2012 -- U.S. and Bangladesh air force flight engineers traded seats in a U.S. Air Force C-130H Hercules cockpit for a subject matter expert exchange here, April 25, as part of exercise Cope South, a bilateral tactical airlift exercise conducted between the two air forces.
- Airmen, Marines share training, culture AFNS 27 Apr 2012 -- Recently a few 451st Expeditionary Aircraft Maintenance Squadron members enjoyed a cultural exchange of a somewhat different kind. It wasn't between Air Force service members and coalition forces, but an inter-service training exchange between the 451st EAMXS C-130J maintenance Airmen and the Marine Aerial Refueler Transport Squadron 352 (VMGR) KC-130J maintenance personnel deployed here.
- U.S.-Philippine Leaders to Discuss Alliance Future AFPS 27 Apr 2012 -- American and Philippine officials will discuss the state of the alliance between the two nations during an April 30 meeting at the State Department, DOD officials said here today.
- Avionics Marines keep Bolts striking USMC News 27 Apr 2012 -- The systems military aircraft use for defense, navigation, and communications are essential to ensure mission accomplishment.
- Japan-US response: Exercise tests bilateral capabilities USMC News 27 Apr 2012 -- Civilian and military emergency responders took part in a downed aircraft exercise here April 25.
- Trainers prep instrumentation for Immediate Response 2012 exercise Army News 27 Apr 2012 -- The NATO exercise Immediate Response 2012 will be hosted this year in Croatia, and involves forces from that nation.
- Corps oversees construction on new 'battle lab' Army News 27 Apr 2012 -- The Army's Asymmetric Warfare Group battle laboratory celebrated its construction start in a ground-breaking ceremony yesterday on post.
- NATO Secretary General highlights Smart Defence as answer to austerity on visit to Italy NATO 27 Apr 2012 -- NATO Secretary General Anders Fogh Rasmussen stressed the importance of Smart Defence as the answer to pressure on defence budgets in talks with Italian leaders in Rome on 27 April 2012.
- No Plans for NATO Base in Russia – Foreign Ministry RIA Novosti 27 Apr 2012 -- There have never been talks on setting up a NATO base in Russia and there are no plans to build NATO facilities anywhere in the country, the Russian Foreign Ministry said.
- Medvedev Sacks Russian Air Force Commander - Kremlin RIA Novosti 27 Apr 2012 -- Russian President Dmitry Medvedev has sacked Russian Air Force Commander, Colonel-General Alexander Zelin and dismissed him from military service, the Kremlin said on Friday.
- Analysts Say North Korea Faked New Missiles VOA 27 Apr 2012 -- Two German analysts say ballistic missiles unveiled in a North Korean military parade earlier this month were clumsy fakes.
- Kim Jong Un Inspects KPA Combined Unit 655 KCNA 27 Apr 2012 -- Supreme Commander of the Korean People's Army Kim Jong Un guided general tactical exercises of KPA Combined Unit 655 held on the occasion of the 80th anniversary of the KPA.
- S. Koreans Plan to Stage Military Drill KCNA 27 Apr 2012 -- The 35th Division of the south Korean army announced its plan to stage a madcap Hwarang, Chungmu drill across North Jolla Province
- Russian-Built Frigate Joins Indian Navy RIA Novosti 27 Apr 2012 -- India on Friday formally commissioned a new frigate into its navy, following a handover ceremony at a shipyard in Russia's Baltic exclave of Kaliningrad.
- April 27, 2012 - U.S. Department of State Daily Press Briefing US Dept. of State 27 Apr 2012
- Press Gaggle by Principal Deputy Press Secretary Josh Earnest en route Fort Stewart, Georgia, 4/27/2012 The White House 27 Apr 2012
- 27 April 2012 - Daily Press Briefing by the Office of the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General United Nations 27 Apr 2012
- Ban appoints Norwegian general as head of UN mission in Syria UN News Centre 27 Apr 2012 -- Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon today announced the appointment of Major General Robert Mood of Norway as the head of the United Nations Supervision Mission in Syria (UNSMIS).
- 'Suicide Blast' Reported In Damascus, As Ban Says Syria Violating Peace Plan RFE/RL 27 Apr 2012 -- Syria's state-run media have reported that a suicide bomber killed at least five people in central Damascus.
- No Syrian Crisis Settlement without Russia, China - Lavrov RIA Novosti 27 Apr 2012 -- The crisis in Syria is impossible to settle if the international community ignores the positions of Russia and China, Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said on Friday.
- At Least 10 Dead After Explosions Rock Syrian Capital VOA 27 Apr 2012 -- Two explosions rocked Damascus on Friday, leaving at least 10 people dead, as international concerns mount over Syria's deteriorating cease-fire.
- Security Council welcomes conviction in war crimes trial of Charles Taylor UN News Centre 27 Apr 2012 -- The Security Council today joined welcomed the guilty verdict handed down against former Liberian President Charles Taylor for crimes against humanity and war crimes committed during Sierra Leone's civil war.
- Sudan Fighting Damages Both Sides' Oil Industry VOA 27 Apr 2012 -- U.S. officials say the most recent fighting between Sudan and South Sudan damaged some of the oil infrastructure on which both countries' economies depend. African Union is working to implement terms of a cease-fire.
- Rodong Sinmun on S. Korea KCNA 27 Apr 2012 -- All Koreans in the north, south and abroad are called on to turn out as one in the nationwide patriotic struggle.
- Hillary Clinton Recalls Raid That Killed Osama bin Laden VOA 27 Apr 2012 -- Hillary Clinton says combat in Iraq and Afghanistan helped hone the SEAL Team Six assault on Osama bin Laden's compound one year ago.
- Pakistan deports Osama family members IRNA 27 Apr 2012 -- Osama bin Laden's three widows and other family members were deported to Saudi Arabia Thursday night days after they completed their jail term awarded to them for entering and living in Pakistan illegally.
- Pakistan Deports Bin Laden's Family To Saudi Arabia RFE/RL 27 Apr 2012 -- The family of Osama bin Laden has been deported from Pakistan.
- Pakistan Sends Bin Laden Family to Saudi Arabia RIA Novosti 27 Apr 2012 -- Pakistani authorities deported early on Friday fourteen members of slain al-Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden's family to Saudi Arabia, CNN reported citing Pakistani officials.
- Russia to Send Manned Mission to Moon by 2030 RIA Novosti 27 Apr 2012 -- Russia is planning to send a manned mission to the moon by 2030, Russian space agency Roscosmos said on its website on Friday.
- Space Station Crew Lands Safely in Kazakhstan RIA Novosti 27 Apr 2012 -- A Soyuz reentry capsule with three members of the International Space Station (ISS) crew landed safely in Kazakhstan on Friday afternoon, the Russian-based ISS mission control center said.
- MYANMAR: Ethnic minorities call for caution as sanctions ease IRIN 27 Apr 2012 -- Ethnic minority groups in Myanmar are calling on the international community to set stronger benchmarks or steps in the incremental removal of international sanctions, following this week's announcement by the European Union (EU) to suspend sanctions for a year, retaining only the embargo on arms sales.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|