13 April 2012 Military News
Defense Policy / Programs
- OIF/OEF/OND Casualty Update 13 Apr 2012 [PDF]
- Combined Force Captures Taliban Leader AFPS 13 Apr 2012 -- A combined Afghan and coalition security force today captured a Taliban leader who was planning a suicide attack against an upcoming gathering of local Afghan civilians in Afghanistan's Kunduz province, military officials reported.
- Logistic Marines demilitarize patrol base USMC News 13 Apr 2012 -- Marines with Combat Logistics Battalion 4 assisted in demilitarizing Patrol Base Mirmandab March 23-31.
- Restoration of NATO supply route opposed IRNA 13 Apr 2012 -- Religious and political parties in Pakistan have opposed restoration of supply line for US-led NATO forces in Afghanistan.
Defense Policy / Programs
- DOD Releases Annual Sexual Assault Response and Prevention Report DoD 13 Apr 2012 -- The Department of Defense today released the fiscal 2011 Annual Report on Sexual Assault in the Military, as required by the National Defense Authorization Act for fiscal 2011
- Collective Training Directorate changes its name Army News 13 Apr 2012 -- The Collective Training Directorate (CTD) is changing its name to reflect its broader responsibilities.
- Getting to Know the U.S. Army's Energy Initiatives Task Force Army News 13 Apr 2012 -- The U.S. Army has a goal to meet of 25 percent renewable energy by 2025. To accomplish this, it must use every opportunity to be energy efficient and draw power from alternative and/or renewable energy sources. The scale of renewable energy production the Army needs in order to provide enhanced energy security is estimated to be around 2.1MWh (2.1 million or mega watt hours) of power annually.
- 'Big Red One' Soldiers Deploy from Fort Sill Army News 13 Apr 2012 -- Fort Sill and the 1st Infantry Division said goodbye to the Soldiers of Battery A, 3rd Battalion, 13th Field Artillery Regiment, March 31.
- Panetta Vows to Continue Fighting Sexual Assault in Military AFPS 13 Apr 2012 -- With the release of an annual report today on sexual assault in the military, Defense Secretary Leon E. Panetta vowed to continue fighting to stamp out the crime among service members.
- 15th MEU Maritime Raid Force develops key skills USMC News 13 Apr 2012 -- During the month of April, the 15th Marine Expeditionary Unit's Maritime Raid Force began training with Special Operations Training Group, I Marine Expeditionary Force, here and Naval Base San Diego.
- NMCB 133 Crosses Joint Service Gap with Bridge Building Class NNS 13 Apr 2012 -- Seabees from Naval Construction Mobile Construction Battalion (NMCB) 133, and Marines from the 8th Engineering Support Battalion (ESB) gathered aboard Naval Construction Battalion Center Gulfport's Contingency Construction Crew Training (CCCT) facilities for a bridge building class April 2-13.
- Air Force officials release draft EIS for F-35 operational basing AFNS 13 Apr 2012 -- The Air Force has filed a draft environmental impact statement for the proposed operational basing of the F-35 Lightning II within the continental United States.
- Navy Names Five New Submarines DoD 13 Apr 2012 -- Secretary of the Navy Ray Mabus announced today the next five Virginia-class attack submarines will be named the USS Illinois, the USS Washington, the USS Colorado, the USS Indiana, and the USS South Dakota.
- Marines, sailors land in Australia USMC News 13 Apr 2012 -- Approximately 200 U.S. Marines and sailors from Hawaii arrived at Royal Australian Air Force Base Darwin April 3.
- Jungle Warfare training tests mettle of Marines, sailors USMC News 13 Apr 2012 -- Wet feet, bugs swarming and bushes so thick one can barely see through them are only some of the many difficulties the jungle environment brings to the battlefield.
- Indian Army to acquire new air defence system IRNA 13 Apr 2012 -- Indian Army has initiated the process of acquiring modern defence system to thwart enemy aircraft and missiles.
- Russian Warships to Patrol Syrian Coast RIA Novosti 13 Apr 2012 -- MOSCOW, April 13 (RIA Novosti) – Russian warships will be continuously deployed for patrol duty off the Syrian coast in the Mediterranean, a high-ranking source in the Russian Defense Ministry said on Friday.
- Russia May Consider Establishing Private Military Companies RIA Novosti 13 Apr 2012 -- Russia may create private military companies and possibly use them for missions abroad. Prime Minister and President-elect Vladimir Putin mentioned this possibility after he delivered his report on the government’s performance in 2011 to the State Duma.
- April 13, 2012 - U.S. Department of State Daily Press Briefing US Dept. of State 13 Apr 2012
- Press Gaggle by Press Secretary Jay Carney and Deputy National Security Advisor for Strategic Communications Ben Rhodes Aboard Air Force One The White House 13 Apr 2012
- 13 April 2012 - Daily Press Briefing by the Office of the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General United Nations 13 Apr 2012
- UN official stresses need for humanitarian aid in Syria amid diplomatic efforts UN News Centre 13 Apr 2012 -- With at least a million people in need of urgent humanitarian help in Syria, the immediate priority for humanitarian organizations is to obtain unhindered access, especially to people in areas which have seen heavy fighting, the United Nations humanitarian chief said today.
- UN chief calls on Syrian authorities to prove ceasefire in effect UN News Centre 12 Apr 2012 -- Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon said that the situation in Syria is calmer today, the day a cessation of hostilities was due to come into effect, but stressed that the onus is on the Government to prove that its words will be matched by deeds.
- Clashes, Protests Erupt as Syrian Cease-Fire Frays VOA 13 Apr 2012 -- Syrian security forces shot and killed at least three protesters on Friday and clashes erupted near the Turkish border, as a day-old ceasefire between the government and opposition showed signs of unraveling.
- SUDAN-SOUTH SUDAN: A whiff of war IRIN 13 Apr 2012 -- Sudan and South Sudan appeared to edge closer to war this week amid an escalating confrontation over the oil-rich borderland region of Heglig.
- SUDAN-SOUTH SUDAN: Heglig and the border* IRIN 13 Apr 2012 -- Once again the disputed and oil-rich borderland area of Heglig is at the centre of a confrontation between Sudan and the newly-independent South Sudan, giving rise to renewed fears of a resumption of all-out war.
- South Sudan Reinforces Positions Around Disputed Oil Town VOA 13 Apr 2012 -- South Sudan says it is consolidating forces around a contested oil-producing town that it seized from Sudan earlier this week. The United Nations and the African Union have called for South Sudan to withdraw from the town of Heglig, but Juba insists it has a claim to the territory. Sudan has threatened to reatliate.
- UN relief operation helping thousands displaced by Pakistan military campaign UN News Centre 13 Apr 2012 -- More than 180,000 people have been displaced by an ongoing military campaign in north-western Pakistan, the United Nations refugee agency said today, adding that an inter-agency relief operation is under way in support of the country’s efforts to provide relief to those affected.
- TIMOR-LESTE: As peace prevails, security forces plan departure IRIN 13 Apr 2012 -- Following a peaceful presidential poll in March and several years of stability, international peacekeeping forces dispatched in 2006 to prevent the outbreak of civil war in Timor-Leste are preparing to pull out.
- DPRK's Satellite Fails to Enter Its Orbit KCNA 13 Apr 2012 -- The DPRK launched its first application satellite Kwangmyongsong-3 at the Sohae Satellite Launching Station in Cholsan County, North Phyongan Province at 07:38:55 a.m. on Friday.
- DPRK Holds Kim Jong Il in High Esteem as Eternal WPK General Secretary KCNA 13 Apr 2012 -- The Workers' Party of Korea in its 4th Conference Wednesday adopted a decision to hold leader Kim Jong Il in high esteem as its eternal general secretary.
- Kim Jong Un's Election as Head of WPK Hailed KCNA 13 Apr 2012 -- Officials of the Ministry of Light Industry of the DPRK are delighted at the happy news that the dear respected Kim Jong Un was elected first secretary of the Workers' Party of Korea (WPK).
- Korean People Hold Kim Jong Il in High Esteem as Eternal NDC Chairman KCNA 13 Apr 2012 -- The fifth session of the 12th Supreme People's Assembly of the DPRK decided to hold leader Kim Jong Il in high esteem as eternal chairman of the National Defence Commission (NDC) of the DPRK. The session took place at a time when the DPRK entered the new century in the history of the sun's Korea.
- Kim Jong Un Elected First Chairman of NDC of DPRK KCNA 13 Apr 2012 -- The fifth session of the 12th Supreme People's Assembly of the DPRK elected Kim Jong Un, first secretary of the Workers' Party of Korea, supreme commander of the Korean People's Army and supreme leader of the party and people of the DPRK, as first chairman of the National Defence Commission (NDC) of the DPRK. The session was convened at a historic time when a bright future is being opened for the great Kim Il Sung and Kim Jong Il's Korea.
- Fifth Session of 12th SPA Held KCNA 13 Apr 2012 -- The fifth session of the 12th Supreme People's Assembly of the DPRK took place at the Mansudae Assembly Hall Friday.
- SPA Session on Work of Cabinet Last Year and Its Tasks for This year KCNA 13 Apr 2012 -- Deputy Choe Yong Rim, premier of the Cabinet, made a report on the work of the Cabinet last year and its tasks for this year at the 5th session of the 12th Supreme People's Assembly held on Friday.
- Results of Implementation of State Budget Last Year and State Budget for This Year KCNA 13 Apr 2012 -- Deputy Choe Kwang Jin, minister of Finance, made a report on the results of the implementation of the state budget last year and state budget for this year at the 5th session of the 12th Supreme People's Assembly of the DPRK Friday.
- Statues of Kim Il Sung and Kim Jong Il Erected on Mansu Hill KCNA 13 Apr 2012 -- Statues of President Kim Il Sung and leader Kim Jong Il were successfully built on Mansu Hill.
- Kim Jong Un Sends Educational Aid Fund and Stipends to Korean Children in Japan KCNA 13 Apr 2012 -- The dear respected Kim Jong Un sent educational aid fund and stipends to the General Association of Korean Residents in Japan (Chongryon) for the democratic national education of children of Koreans in Japan on the occasion of the centenary of the birth of President Kim Il Sung.
- Rodong Sinmun Calls for Uniting Closer around WPK Led by Kim Jong Un KCNA 13 Apr 2012 -- Rodong Sinmun Friday in an editorial says that the revolutionary cause of Juche, the cause of building a thriving nation is sure to emerge victorious thanks to the leadership of the glorious Workers' Party of Korea which has the dear respected Kim Jong Un at its top post and the single-minded unity of all the service personnel and people intensely faithful to the party's cause.
- Largest Kim Jong-il Monument Unveiled in Pyongyang RIA Novosti 13 Apr 2012 -- The largest North Korean monument of the country's late leader Kim Jong-il was unveiled in the capital of Pyongyang on Friday.
- Russia Opposes New Sanctions on N. Korea - Lavrov RIA Novosti 13 Apr 2012 -- Russia's Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov opposed new sanctions against North Korea after the country's much-hyped rocket launch failed on Friday.
- North Korea Rocket Launch Fails RIA Novosti 13 Apr 2012 -- North Korea's much-hyped rocket launch has failed, the country admitted on Friday.
- North Koreans to Try Next Missile Launch in 2-3 Yrs - French Expert RIA Novosti 13 Apr 2012 -- Reports that a North Korean rocket plunged into the Yellow Sea this morning will not spell the end of North Korea's rocket program, said a space and aeronautics expert from Pyongyang today.
- Launch of DPR Korea's satellite 'deplorable', says Ban UN News Centre 13 Apr 2012 -- Despite its failure, the launch of a so-called 'application satellite' by the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) is 'deplorable', Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon said today and urged the country to not undertake further actions that could increase tension in the region.
- North Korea Admits Rocket Failed Shortly After Launch VOA 13 Apr 2012 -- North Korea has acknowledged a multi-stage rocket it launched early Friday failed to reach orbit.
- World Reacts to Failed North Korea Rocket Launch VOA 13 Apr 2012 -- U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon and many other international leaders have condemned North Korea's launch of a long-range missile, even though the test was a failure. The rocket fell into the sea about one minute after liftoff.
- North Korean Rocket Launch Fails RFE/RL 13 Apr 2012 -- Despite warnings and appeals from many countries, North Korea went ahead with a rocket launch Friday but officials in South Korea, Japan and the U.S. said it appeared the rocket was failed not long after the launch.
- White House Blasts N.Korea Rocket Launch RIA Novosti 13 Apr 2012 -- The White House blasted on Friday the launch of a long-range rocket by North Korea.
- Taiwan says North Korea rocket launch regrettable CNA 13 Apr 2012 -- Taiwan's Ministry of Foreign Affairs said Friday that North Korea's rocket launch was regrettable and called for peace and stability on the Korean peninsula.
- G8 Ministers 'Ready to Consider' Measures against N.Korea RIA Novosti 13 Apr 2012 -- The Group of Eight industrialized nations lambasted North Korea's rocket launch.
- North Korea Launches Long-Range Rocket - Yonhap RIA Novosti 13 Apr 2012 -- North Korea on Friday launched a long-range rocket, South Korea's Yonhap news agency reported.
- N. Korea Rocket 'May Have Broken Apart' RIA Novosti 13 Apr 2012 -- North Korea's rocket, launched on Friday, appears to have broken apart minutes after blastoff, CNN quoted U.S. officials as saying.
- North Korea rocket launch fails, poses no threat: military CNA 13 Apr 2012 -- North Korea's rocket launch failed and did not cause any damage to neighboring countries, Defense Ministry spokesman Luo Shou-he said Friday.
- US strategies against Iran defeated: commander IRNA 13 Apr 2012 -- US strategies against the Islamic Republic of Iran were defeated, Commander of Iranian Army's Ground Forces Brigadier General Ahmad Reza Pourdastan said on Friday.
- Iranian top nuclear negotiator arrives in Istanbul IRNA 13 Apr 2012 -- Iranian delegation, headed by Supreme National Security Council Secretary and chief nuclear negotiator Saeed Jalili, arrived here on Friday.
- Russia is optimistic about outcome of Iran-G5+1 talks: Lavrov IRNA 13 Apr 2012 -- Russia is optimistic about the outcome of upcoming Iran-G5+1 talks, Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov said here on Friday.
- Beijing wishes constructive talks between Iran, G5+1: official IRNA 13 Apr 2012 -- China expects a constructive beginning for the Iran and the G5+1 nuclear talks, Deputy Foreign Minister of China, Ma Ja Osho, said here on Friday.
- G8 Ministers Emphasize Peaceful Solution to Iran Problem RIA Novosti 13 Apr 2012 -- The Group of Eight industrialized nations said in a statement it believes that the Iranian nuclear problem should be resolved solely by diplomatic means.
- Soldiers Seize Power in Guinea-Bissau, Disrupt Election VOA 13 Apr 2012 -- Soldiers in Guinea-Bissau have seized control of the capital just hours before campaigning was set to begin for a presidential run-off election. Sources say soldiers grabbed the interim president and the frontrunner presidential candidate, though the two men's whereabouts are unknown. Residents say a tense calm has returned to the capital. However deep divisions within the military mean further unrest is still a possibility.
- Ban and Security Council strongly condemn Guinea-Bissau military coup UN News Centre 13 Apr 2012 -- Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon and the Security Council today strongly condemned the military coup that took place in Guinea-Bissau and demanded the immediate restoration of constitutional order.
- Beijing seizes material on Bo's major crimes: weekly CNA 13 Apr 2012 -- Two days after former Chongqing Communist Party chief Bo Xilai was ousted from the party's Politburo, the Yazhou Zhoukan weekly reported in its latest issue published Thursday that Beijing had obtained information showing that Bo is embroiled in at least seven major crimes.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|