01 April 2012 Military News
Defense Policy / Programs
- Bagram's first ammunition amnesty day a success Army News 01 Apr 2012 -- The first official ammunition and explosives amnesty day at Bagram Airfield resulted in more than 120,050 ammunition and explosives items, valued at more $142,517.92, being turned in by units and individuals.
Defense Policy / Programs
- U.S. may Release 5 Taliban Leaders from Guantanamo RIA Novosti 01 Apr 2012 -- The U.S. is ready to release five Taliban leaders from the detention center at Guantanamo Bay under certain conditions, head of the foreign relations department of the High Peace Council Mohammad Ismail Qasimyar said in his interview to Afghanistan's largest independent news agency Pajhwok.
- Indian Navy to operate two nuclear submarines in near future IRNA 01 Apr 2012 -- With India set to induct the Russian 'Nerpa' nuclear submarine next week, DRDO Chief V K Saraswat today said the INS Arihant-- the indigenous nuclear under-water vessel, would be launched for operations in the near future.
- BrahMos develops anti-aircraft variant of the missile IRNA 01 Apr 2012 -- Indo-Russian joint venture BrahMos has developed an anti-aircraft carrier variant of the 290-km supersonic cruise missile.
- India planning launch of over 5000km-range Agni-5 next month IRNA 01 Apr 2012 -- India will join the elite club of nations having Inter Continental Ballistic Missiles (ICBM) with the DRDO planning to carry out the launch of over 5,000 km-range Agni-5 missile next month.
- Friends of Syria Recognize Syrian Opposition RIA Novosti 01 Apr 2012 -- The international group Friends of Syria recognized on Sunday the oppositional Syrian National Council as the 'sole representative of the Syrian people.'
- Turkish Prime Minister Calls on UN Security Council to Stop Assad's Regime RIA Novosti 01 Apr 2012 -- Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan urged the international community to take immediate actions to resolve the Syrian crisis.
- At Friends of Syria meeting, Ban urges States to back UN efforts to end crisis UN News Centre 01 Apr 2012 -- Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon today urged countries at the second Friends of Syria meeting in Istanbul, Turkey, to support efforts by the United Nations and the League of Arab States to end the crisis in the Middle Eastern country, which has led to the deaths of more than 8,000 civilians since it began in March last year.
- Gulf Nations to Pay Syrian Rebel Salaries, US Offers Non-Lethal Support VOA 01 Apr 2012 -- Participants in Sunday's 'Friends of Syria' conference in Istanbul, Turkey, say several Gulf nations will provide millions of dollars to the main opposition Syrian National Council to pay the salaries of rebels trying to overthrow Syrian President Bashar al-Assad.
- South Sudan Says Khartoum Stalls Peace Talks While Waging War VOA 01 Apr 2012 -- South Sudan has accused the Khartoum government of rejecting peace overtures while its forces bomb targets in the south. As a result, African Union-mediated talks in Addis Ababa are in danger of collapse.
- Mali's Embattled Junta Reinstates Constitution VOA 01 Apr 2012 -- The military government in Mali has announced an immediate restoration of the Constitution and says it will organize a return to civilian rule.
- Burma NLD Claims Aung San Suu Kyi Election Victory VOA 01 Apr 2012 -- Supporters of Burmese democracy icon Aung San Suu Kyi, who spent most of the past two decades under military-ordered house arrest, say she won a seat Sunday in Burma's lower house of parliament.
- DPRK on S. Korea Disturbing Int'l Tour of Mt. Kumgang KCNA 01 Apr 2012 -- A spokesman for the Guidance Bureau of the Special Zone for International Tour of Mt. Kumgang of the DPRK made public the following statement.
- Europe's ATV-3 Space Freighter Adjusts Space Station Orbit RIA Novosti 01 Apr 2012 -- Europe's ATV-3 unmanned resupply spacecraft, which docked with the ISS earlier this week, readjusted the space station's orbit on Sunday, the Mission Control said.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|