31 March 2012 Military News
- Pakistani MPs call for halt to US drone strikes IRNA 31 Mar 2012 -- Pakistani parliamentarians have called for halt to US drone attacks in the country's tribal regions and showing respect to the country's sovereignty.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Panetta Blasts Congress for Failure to Avert Sequestration AFPS 31 Mar 2012 -- Defense Secretary Leon E. Panetta blasted Congress yesterday for threatening the Defense Department with sequestration he said would be devastating to the force.
- Iron Nickel welcomes Secretary of Defense USMC News 31 Mar 2012 -- Secretary of Defense Leon Panetta got a taste of life on ship today when he arrived on a landing craft air cushion and paid a visit to the Marines and sailors of the 15th Marine Expeditionary Unit and the USS Peleliu.
- Marines Assigned to 24th MEU Embark USS Gunston Hall NNS 31 Mar 2012 -- Marines assigned to the 24th Marine Expeditionary Unit (MEU) embarked aboard Whidbey-Island class amphibious dock-landing ship USS Gunston Hall (LSD 44), March 28, as an augmentation to the Iwo Jima Amphibious Ready Group (ARG).
- USS Porter Departs PalmaUSS Porter Departs Palma NNS 31 Mar 2012 -- The Arleigh Burke-class guided-missile destroyer USS Porter (DDG 78) departed Palma de Mallorca, Spain, March 30, concluding the first port visit of the ship's current deployment.
- USS James E. Williams Departs Port of Rome NNS 31 Mar 2012 -- The Arleigh Burke-class guided-missile destroyer USS James E. Williams (DDG 95) departed Civitavecchia, Italy, March 30, after concluding a regularly-scheduled port visit.
- Panetta Credits Peleliu for Helping Reach Turning Point in War AFPS 31 Mar 2012 -- The United States has reached a turning point after a decade of conflict, but must stay the course to continue to face down terrorism and other threats -- including a debt Defense Secretary Leon E. Panetta said also threatens U.S. national security.
- S. Koreans Plan to Stage Field Mobile Exercise KCNA 31 Mar 2012 -- The 8th Division of the south Korean army plans to stage field mobile exercise in the areas of Phochon, Kyonggi Province and Cholwon, south Korean Kangwon Province .
- Diplomats Push for End to Syria's Violence VOA 31 Mar 2012 -- U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Clinton is meeting with Gulf Arab diplomats in Saudi Arabia on Saturday to discuss issues that include bringing an end to Syria's year-long crackdown on dissent.
- Taiwan reaffirms its stance on South China Sea CNA 31 Mar 2012 -- The Ministry of Foreign Affairs on Saturday reaffirmed its position on the South China Sea amid reports that the Philippines will build a wharf on one of the islands in the disputed Spratly Islands chain.
- Nepalese parties agree to integrate 6,500 ex-rebels into army IRNA 31 Mar 2012 -- Overcoming a major hurdle, Nepal's political parties on Friday agreed to integrate 6,500 former Maoist combatants into the army, paving the way for concluding the stalled peace process and drafting a new statute by the May 27 deadline given by the Supreme Court.
- Mali Rebels Gain Ground in North VOA 31 Mar 2012 -- Separatist Tuareg rebels in Mali attacked the northern garrison town of Gao on Saturday, one day after taking the town of Kidal. The advances come as the military government scrambles to avoid sanctions by the regional bloc ECOWAS.
- Clashes in Yemen Leave 30 Dead VOA 31 Mar 2012 -- Yemeni government troops clashed with al-Qaida militants in the south of the country early Saturday after the group attacked an army base in Lahij province. Heavy casualties were reported on both sides and Yemeni air force planes bombed positions held by the militants.
- FM Spokesman on U.S. Announcement of Suspension of Food Aid to DPRK KCNA 31 Mar 2012 -- Spokesman for the Foreign Ministry of the DPRK answer to a question as regards US moves.
- Meetings Held to Elect Delegates to WPK Conference KCNA 31 Mar 2012 -- Meetings of Jagang, South Hwanghae, North Phyongan and Kangwon provinces and Rason City were held to elect delegates to the Conference of the Workers' Party of Korea (WPK).
- China's 'princelings' emerge as rising political stars CNA 31 Mar 2012 -- One of the mysteries political observers of China will have to decipher as the country undergoes a leadership transition this year is the role the country's 'princelings' will play in the battle for power.
- Security Council urges political parties in Guinea-Bissau to engage in dialogue UN News Centre 31 Mar 2012 -- The Security Council today urged political parties in Guinea-Bissau to engage in dialogue ahead of the upcoming run-off elections next month to ensure a peaceful conclusion to the electoral process that started in January, and to be able to maintain unity and stability in the country.
- KCNA Commentary on Japanese Prime Minister's Conception of History KCNA 31 Mar 2012 -- The Japanese prime ministers' conception of history negating the past is sparking off criticism among international community.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|