11 February 2012 Military News
Defense Policy / Programs
- NATO Special Representative Holds Talks In Azerbaijan RFE/RL 11 Feb 2012 -- NATO special representative for the South Caucasus and Central Asia James Appathurai visited Azerbaijan on February 11 to discuss routes from NATO cargo to, and from Afghanistan.
Defense Policy / Programs
- US Lawmakers Approve Pentagon Request to Improve Bunker-Buster Bomb VOA 11 Feb 2012 -- U.S. lawmakers have approved a Pentagon request for more than $81 million in funding to make improvements to a massive bomb designed to penetrate deeply-buried enemy facilities.
- Dempsey Discusses Issues With Egypt’s Defense Leaders AFPS 11 Feb 2012 -- The chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff met here today with Egypt’s top defense officials to discuss a wide range of issues.
- US Defense Focus on Asia Forces New Thinking in Europe VOA 11 Feb 2012 -- When President Obama announced his new global defense strategy in January, he put the emphasis on Asia.
- U.S. Pacific Command nominee backs Taiwan Relations Act CNA 11 Feb 2012 -- The nominee for U.S. Pacific Command commander has expressed his firm support for the Taiwan Relations Act which obliges Washington to help Taipei defend itself.
- USS Germantown Begins Participation in Cobra Gold 2012 NNS 11 Feb 2012 -- USS Germantown began its involvement in Exercise Cobra Gold 2012, the multinational military exercise co-sponsored by the U.S. and Thailand.
- Turkish FM Davutoglu Calls for Solidarity with Syrian People VOA 11 Feb 2012 -- Turkish FM Davutoglu has called for an international show of solidarity with the Syrian people.
- Gunmen Kill Syrian Army General, UN Chief Condemns Bombings RFE/RL 11 Feb 2012 -- The state-run Syrian Arab News Agency says gunmen have assassinated an army general in Damascus.
- Syrian Troops Move Into Several Districts in Homs VOA 11 Feb 2012 -- Syrian forces moved into several districts of the flashpoint city of Homs Saturday, in their drive to crush a nearly year-old revolt against President Bashar al-Assad.
- Saudi Arabia Pushes for New Syria Resolution RIA Novosti 11 Feb 2012 -- Saudi Arabia has begun circulating a new resolution on Syria, a week after a similar draft was vetoed by Russia and China.
- Iran Vows ‘Important’ Nuclear Announcement Within Days RIA Novosti 11 Feb 2012 -- Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad said that Tehran would soon reveal “major” progress in its disputed nuclear program.
- Ahmadinejad: Iran to Unveil New Nuclear Achievements VOA 11 Feb 2012 -- Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad announced Saturday that Iran will soon unveil new nuclear achievements.
- Iran Marks Anniversary Of Islamic Revolution RFE/RL 11 Feb 2012 -- Iranian President Mahmud Ahmadinejad has said that Tehran will inaugurate "important nuclear projects" within days.
- Iran to unveil new nuclear achievements soon, President IRNA 11 Feb 2012 -- President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad said on Saturday that the Islamic Republic of Iran will unveil several nuclear achievements in the next days.
- Low Turnout for 1st Anniversary of Mubarak's Ouster VOA 11 Feb 2012 -- Activists across Egypt held strikes and demonstrations Saturday to mark the first anniversary of President Hosni Mubarak's ouster, but the turnout was modest.
- Egyptian Military Warns Of Conspiracies Ahead Of Strike RFE/RL 11 Feb 2012 -- Egypt's military rulers warned that the country faces conspiracies to spread chaos as it prepared to mark the first anniversary of the overthrow of former President Hosni Mubarak.
- People Power Movements Rise in Sub-Saharan Africa VOA 11 Feb 2012 -- As Egyptians mark one year since popular protests forced their long-time President Hosni Mubarak from office, further south in sub-Saharan Africa, analysts say people power movements are gaining traction as well.
- Reports: Tibetan Nun Sets Herself on Fire VOA 11 Feb 2012 -- Tibetans in exile say a teenage nun has set herself on fire in China's southwestern Sichuan province.
- US Official: Maldives Not Ready for Early Elections VOA 11 Feb 2012 -- A U.S. official visiting the politically troubled Maldives said Saturday that the island group is not ready for the early elections suggested by its former president.
- Maldives Prez announces investigation into the recent events IRNA 11 Feb 2012 -- Maldives President, Dr. Mohamed Waheed Hassan Saturday announced an investigation into the events that took place in the country from 14 January to 8 February 2012.
- Thousands Rally Behind Suu Kyi on Burma Campaign Trail VOA 11 Feb 2012 -- Thousands of people lined streets in Burma, waving flags and banners for opposition leader Aung San Suu Kyi, 66, as she took her campaign for parliament on the road.
- Niger Refuses to Extradite Gadhafi Son to Libya VOA 11 Feb 2012 -- Niger has refused to extradite to Libya the son of slain dictator Moammar Gadhafi, saying Saadi Gadhafi risks death in the country.
- Niger Refuses to Extradite Gaddafi’s Son Despite Libyan Demands RIA Novosti 11 Feb 2012 -- Niger will not extradite the deposed Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi’s son, Saadi, despite the demands from Libyan authorities.
- Turkmenistan Votes in National Elections Sunday VOA 11 Feb 2012 -- Voters in Turkmenistan head to the polls on Sunday. They are expected to re-elect President Kurbanguly Berdymukhamedov.
- European Election Monitors 'Can't Get A Meeting' With Putin RFE/RL 11 Feb 2012 -- A group of European vote monitors say they have been denied a meeting with Russian presidential candidate Vladimir Putin.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|