29 January 2012 Military News
Defense Policy / Programs
- Afghan President Karzai to Talk with Taliban RIA Novosti 29 Jan 2012 -- Afghan President Hamid Karzai plans to meet with the Taliban in Saudi Arabia in an attempt to restart peace talks, the BBC reported on Sunday.
- Taliban, US Negotiators Meet in Qatar VOA 29 Jan 2012 -- Afghan Taliban negotiators are meeting with U.S. officials in Qatar for a series of discussions aimed at building trust between the two sides ahead of the upcoming peace talks.
- Top Pakistan Diplomat to Meet Afghan Leaders in Kabul VOA 29 Jan 2012 -- Pakistan says its foreign minister is expected to travel Wednesday to neighboring Afghanistan to discuss the war against terrorism and political reconciliation efforts aimed at ending the Afghan armed conflict. The visit comes amid reports of fresh contacts between Taliban insurgents and U.S. officials.
- Pakistani PM: People to decide NATO supply restoration IRNA 29 Jan 2012 -- Pakistani Prime Minister Yusuf Raza Gilani has said that the people will decide whether or not to restore supplies for US-led troops in Afghanistan.
- Ground breaks for new hospital in Shindand Army News 29 Jan 2012 -- A ground breaking ceremony marked the start of construction on a new 28-bed hospital in Shindand, Herat province Jan. 28. The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers Afghanistan Engineer District-South designed the $4.8 million hospital and is overseeing construction.
Defense Policy / Programs
- India, Japan Coast Guards conduct joint exercise IRNA 29 Jan 2012 -- As part of strengthening their working level relationship and refine operating procedures, Indian Coast Guard and its Japanese counterpart conducted a joint exercise entitled 'Sahyog Kaijin XI' off Chennai port on Sunday.
- IR Iran to unveil new defense projects: Minister IRNA 29 Jan 2012 -- Defense Minister Brigadier General Ahmad Vahidi said on Sunday that the the project of marine patrol aircraft and cruise missile are among achievements of Iranian experts which will be unveiled during the Ten-Day Dawn ceremony (February 1-February 10).
- Russia Criticizes Arab League Suspension Of Syria Mission RFE/RL 29 Jan 2012 -- Russia has criticized a decision by the Arab League to suspend its monitoring mission to Syria amid heavy clashes reported near Damascus between government troops and army deserters who support antigovernment protesters.
- Arab League's Syria Mission May Resume, Says its Head RIA Novosti 29 Jan 2012 -- The Arab League observer mission to Syria has been postponed temporarily, the mission head, General Mohammed Ahmed Mustafa Al-Dabi, stressed in an interview with Egyptian news portal Al Ahram on Sunday.
- Russia Calls for Larger Number of Observers in Syria RIA Novosti 29 Jan 2012 -- Russia calls for increasing the number of foreign observers in Syria amid an ongoing standoff between the Syrian government and the opposition, Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said on Sunday.
- Syrian Troops Defend Damascus, Storm Suburbs VOA 29 Jan 2012 -- Syria's embattled government defended its capital from rebel fighters Sunday, with security forces deployed across the city and around 2,000 troops backed by tanks and armored vehicles launching an assault to retake suburban areas.
- Sudan Blames S.Sudan for Failed Oil Talks RIA Novosti 29 Jan 2012 -- Sudan has blamed South Sudan for hampering an agreement intended to resolve an oil dispute between the two countries during Saturday talks in Addis Ababa, a RIA Novosti correspondent reported.
- Russia: Kuril Islands Row Should Be Settled in Referendum RIA Novosti 29 Jan 2012 -- The fate of the disputed Kuril islands in the Pacific Ocean should be decided in a referendum, Russia's foreign minister said during a visit to Japan on Sunday.
- New Mideast Talks Hit an Impasse VOA 29 Jan 2012 -- The latest international effort to revive the Middle East peace process has run into trouble.
- Iran produces 20-percent enriched uranium fuel sheets: Salehi IRNA 29 Jan 2012 -- Islamic Republic of Iran's Foreign Minister Ali Akbar Salehi said that the 20-percent nuclear fuel sheet will be installed in Tehran research reactor facility next month.
- Iran says IAEA experts arrive in Iran ISNA 29 Jan 2012 -- Iranian Foreign Minister Ali Akbar Salehi said an International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) team arrived in Iran to visit the country's nuclear facilities.
- IAEA Inspectors Arrive In Iran RFE/RL 29 Jan 2012 -- UN nuclear inspectors have arrived in Iran, hoping to shed light on suspected military aspects of Tehran's atomic work.
- Iran Vote Delayed On Bill To Cut EU Oil Deliveries RFE/RL 29 Jan 2012 -- Iranian lawmakers have delayed taking action on a proposed bill to immediately cut oil deliveries to Europe in retaliation for an EU oil embargo.
- IAEA Delegation Arrives in Iran to Discuss Nuclear Program RIA Novosti 29 Jan 2012 -- A delegation of the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) arrived in Iran to discuss the Islamic Republic's controversial nuclear program, the Iranian media reported on Sunday.
- IAEA Team in Iran to Ask About Nuclear Weapon Allegations VOA 29 Jan 2012 -- U.N. nuclear inspectors have begun a mission to Iran to investigate allegations of secret military dimensions to the Iranian nuclear program.
- Space Station's Orbit Raised to Avoid Collision with Space Junk RIA Novosti 29 Jan 2012 -- Specialists of Russia's Mission Control Center raised the orbit altitude of the International Space Station (ISS) in the early hours of Sunday to prevent a possible collision with a Chinese satellite fragment, a spokesman for the Center said.
- Burma Democracy Leader Begins Political Campaigning VOA 29 Jan 2012 -- Burmese democracy leader Aung San Suu Kyi hit the campaign trail Sunday ahead of by-elections seen as a key test of the military-backed government's commitment to reform.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|