19 January 2012 Military News
- OIF/OEF/OND Casualty Update 19 Jan 2012 [PDF]
- DOD Identifies Units for Upcoming Afghanistan Rotation DoD 19 Jan 2012 -- The Department of Defense today identified three major units to deploy as part of the upcoming rotation of forces operating in Afghanistan. The scheduled rotation will begin in Spring 2012.
- DOD News Briefing with Janan Mosazai and Brig. Gen. H.R. McMaster DoD 19 Jan 2012
- Insurgents Use Vehicle Bomb to Attack Kandahar Airfield AFPS 19 Jan 2012 -- Insurgents detonated a vehicle-borne bomb outside an entry control point at Kandahar Airfield in Afghanistan’s Kandahar province.
- Afghan, ISAF Officials Detail Corruption Fight AFPS 19 Jan 2012 -- The battle against corruption in Afghanistan is as crucial to the nation’s future as the fight against the insurgency, two leaders at the forefront of that struggle said.
- Afghanistan Closes Hundreds Of NGOs RFE/RL 19 Jan 2012 -- A top Afghan official says hundreds of local and foreign NGOs have been shut down for violating the law.
- US Relations Still on Hold, Says Pakistan VOA 19 Jan 2012 -- Pakistan's foreign minister says relations with the United States remain on hold following November's NATO attack that killed 24 Pakistani soldiers along the Afghan border.
- Norway Security Chief Quits After Pakistan Agents Disclosure RFE/RL 19 Jan 2012 -- Norway's security chief has resigned after she revealed confidential information, including that Norway has intelligence agents in Pakistan.
- U.S. Navy Rescues Iranian Fishermen RFE/RL 19 Jan 2012 -- The U.S. Navy says it has led a rescue operation to help the crew of a sinking Iranian fishing vessel in the Arabian Sea -- the third such operation in two weeks.
- U.S. 'Fully Prepared' In Persian Gulf, Taking 'No Special Steps' RFE/RL 19 Jan 2012 -- U.S. Defense Secretary Leon Panetta says the United States military is not taking any special steps to prepare for a potential crisis with Iran in the Gulf.
- US Forces Poised to Deal with Iran Threat VOA 19 Jan 2012 -- The United States says its military forces in the Persian Gulf region are prepared to deal with any threat from Iran.
- Stennis Strike Group Enters 7th Fleet Area of Operations NNS 19 Jan 2012 -- John C. Stennis Strike Group (JCSSG) entered the U.S. 7th Fleet area of operations(AOO) Jan. 19 after nearly three months supporting Operations Enduring Freedom (OEF) and New Dawn (OND), as well as maritime security operations and anti-piracy efforts in the U.S. 5th Fleet AOO.
- Abraham Lincoln Arrives in U.S. 5th Fleet NNS 19 Jan 2012 -- The Abraham Lincoln Carrier Strike Group (CSG) arrived for a routine deployment in the U.S. 5th Fleet area of responsibility (AOR), Jan. 19.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Army Releases Strategic Reset Report DoD 19 Jan 2012
- Army Releases December & Calendar Year 2011 Suicide Data DoD 19 Jan 2012
- Army releases Generating Health and Discipline in the Force ahead of Strategic Reset Report Army News 19 Jan 2012 -- The Army released the Army 2020 Generating Health and Discipline in the Force, Report 2012, referred to as the Army Gold Book.
- AF to release draft impact statement on proposed F-35 pilot training center AFNS 19 Jan 2012 -- The Air Force will file a draft Environmental Impact Statement for the proposed establishment of an F-35 Lightning II pilot training center within the continental United States Jan 20.
- Pacific Fleet Commander Reflects on Operation Tomodachi AFPS 19 Jan 2012 -- As he prepares to turn over the reins of U.S. Pacific Fleet, Navy Adm. Patrick M. Walsh looks back with pride in his command’s adaptability in responding to last year’s earthquake and tsunami disaster in Japan.
- Admiral Details Challenges, Opportunities of Pacific Fleet AFPS 19 Jan 2012 -- As America's focus shifts to the Asia-Pacific region, the U.S. Pacific Fleet is well-placed to protect national interests and connect with regional nations, Pacific Fleet's commander, Adm. Patrick Walsh, said.
- Keel Laid for Navy's First Mobile Landing Platform NNS 19 Jan 2012 -- General Dynamics NASSCO held a keel-laying ceremony for the U.S. Navy's first mobile landing platform (MLP), Jan. 19, in San Diego, Calif.
- Eighth Army to participate in Yama Sakura in Japan Army News 19 Jan 2012 -- Approximately 150 American Soldiers from the Eighth Army headquarters element will participate in Exercise Yama Sakura in Japan from Jan. 24 - Feb. 5.
- Naval Hospital Camp Pendleton Project Reaches $100 Million Milestone NNS 19 Jan 2012 -- Construction of the new naval hospital at Marine Corps Base Camp Pendleton reached a milestone, Jan. 13, when more than $100 million of work was completed.
- Porter's VBSS Team Prepares for Deployment NNS 19 Jan 2012 -- Sailors assigned to the visit, board, search and seizure (VBSS) team aboard the Arleigh Burke-class guided-missile destroyer USS Porter (DDG 78) conducted training while underway Jan. 18.
- Southern Partnership Station 2012 Continues in Peru NNS 19 Jan 2012 -- High Speed Vessel (HSV 2) Swift arrived in Callao, Peru to continue HSV-Southern Partnership Station 2012 (HSV-SPS-12), Jan. 19.
- Bataan Welcomes Egyptian Navy Officers for Suez Transit NNS 19 Jan 2012 -- Amphibious assault ship USS Bataan (LHD 5) welcomed two Egyptian navy officers aboard for a Suez Canal transit, Jan. 10.
- Enterprise's 'Eyes and Ears' Prepare for Deployment NNS 19 Jan 2012 -- The Combat Direction Center (CDC) aboard aircraft carrier USS Enterprise (CVN 65) participated in a variety of training exercises as part of the carrier's composite training unit exercise (COMPTUEX) while underway in the Atlantic Ocean Jan. 16.
- Chief of Naval Personnel Visits Pensacola International Training Command NNS 19 Jan 2012 -- The chief of naval personnel (CNP) visited Naval Education and Training Security Assistance Field Activity (NETSAFA) Jan. 18 on board Naval Air Station Pensacola.
- USS Porter Completes Live-Fire Exercise NNS 19 Jan 2012 -- Sailors assigned to the Arleigh Burke-class guided-missile destroyer USS Porter (DDG 78) successfully completed a live-fire exercise of its entire array of gun weapon systems while underway conducting its composite training unit exercise (COMPTUEX) with the Enterprise Carrier Strike Group Jan. 17.
- Looking back: Different missions set standard for MAGTF use USMC News 19 Jan 2012 -- Interventions in Panama and Grenada during the 1980s highlighted the conditions when Marine Air-Ground Task Forces should be used.
- Smaller Carbon Footprint Means Fewer Risks, Official Says AFPS 19 Jan 2012 -- A hard push by the Defense Department and the military services to reduce dependence on fossil fuels will shrink risks on the battlefield along with the Pentagon’s carbon footprint.
- T-Hawk gives Soldiers, Marines eyes on the battlefield Army News 19 Jan 2012 -- Soldiers and Marines are getting a new unmanned aerial vehicle that will give them real time intelligence on the battlefield.
- New RPA career field graduates first RQ-4 pilots AFNS 19 Jan 2012 -- Two members of Beale Air Force Base were recognized as the first RQ-4 Global Hawk pilots in the new 18X career field during a winging ceremony Jan. 13.
- Aviators benefit from cockpit trainers Army News 19 Jan 2012 -- The Aviation Learning Center on Fort Rucker received four new Cockpit Academic Procedural Trainers to help flight students and transitioning Aviators stay proficient Jan. 9.
- Accessions Command discontinued Army News 19 Jan 2012 -- In a ceremony Wednesday at Fort Knox, the Accessions Command was officially discontinued.
- N.M. land grant expands AF training AFNS 19 Jan 2012 -- The U.S. Air Force accepted a land gift offer from the State of New Mexico during a ceremony in Santa Fe Jan. 18, hosted by the New Mexico State Land Office.
- New Truncal Tourniquet Ready for Battlefield Use Army News 19 Jan 2012 -- Saving the lives of combat wounded is one of the main objectives at the U.S. Army Institute of Surgical Research at Fort Sam Houston, Texas.
- Surviving Families, Victims of Cole Attack Seek Justice AFPS 19 Jan 2012 -- Family members and survivors urged that justice be served in the quest to ensure a fair trial for the accused mastermind of the attack.
- Fort Sill birthplace of Army combat aviation Army News 19 Jan 2012 -- You may have noticed that Fort Sill has an airfield.
- Russia's Pacific Fleet Task Force Pays Visit to Indonesia RIA Novosti 19 Jan 2012 -- A Pacific Fleet task force led by the Admiral Panteleyev destroyer docked at the Indonesian port of Surabaya.
- Russia to Spend $280 Mln on New Planes for Kremlin Fleet RIA Novosti 19 Jan 2012 -- Russia’s presidential administration is placing a tender on the delivery of three modified Tu-214 passenger jets.
- Russian Knights to Display New Program at Bahrain Air Show RIA Novosti 19 Jan 2012 -- The Russkiye Vityazi aerial display team will perform a new program at the 2012 Bahrain Air Show.
- NATO Secretary General Anders Fogh Rasmussen: NATO's Baltic Allies: punching above their weight NATO 19 Jan 2012
- Press conference by General Knud Bartels, Chairman of the NATO Military Committee following the Meeting of NATO and Partner Chiefs of Defence NATO 19 Jan 2012
- NATO and Partner Chiefs of Defence conclude two days of meetings at NATO NATO 19 Jan 2012 -- Chiefs of Defence from sixty-seven NATO member and Partner countries have concluded two days of meetings at NATO Headquarters.
- NATO and China Cooperate to Fight Piracy NATO 19 Jan 2012 -- The fight against piracy is an international effort.
- Surgeon General discusses importance of partnerships UK MOD 19 Jan 2012 -- The Surgeon General, Surgeon Vice Admiral Philip Raffaelli, gave a speech at the Combat Trauma Innovation Conference in London about the need for partnerships in delivering care to troops.
- Rwanda Arrests 4 Top Army Officers VOA 19 Jan 2012 -- Rwanda's military has suspended four top army officers and placed them under house arrest for alleged illegal business dealings in the Democratic Republic of Congo.
- U.S. Department of State Daily Press Briefing, January 19, 2012 US Dept. of State 19 Jan 2012
- Press Gaggle by Press Secretary Jay Carney en route Orlando, Florida, 1/19/2012 The White House 19 Jan 2012
- DoD News: Contracts for January 19, 2012
- ATK Technologies Support Launch of ULA's Delta IV Rocket Carrying WGS-4 ATK 19 Jan 2012 -- ATK composite, propulsion and spacecraft technologies supported today's successful launch of a United Launch Alliance Delta IV rocket from Space Launch Complex 37 at Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Fla. This rocket carried the Wideband Global SATCOM (WGS-4) into orbit for the U.S. Air Force.
- Boeing's 4th WGS Satellite Sends 1st Signals from Space Boeing 19 Jan 2012 -- Boeing has received the first on-orbit signals from the fourth Wideband Global SATCOM (WGS) satellite it is delivering to the U.S. Air Force. The signals indicate that WGS-4, the first in the Block II series, is healthy and ready to begin orbital maneuvers and operational testing.
- General Dynamics NASSCO Marks Keel Laying of First Mobile Landing Platform Ship General Dynamics 19 Jan 2012 -- Today General Dynamics NASSCO hosted a keel laying ceremony for the first Mobile Landing Platform (MLP) ship at the company’s shipyard in San Diego.
- Embraer Defense and Security Selects Hamilton Sundstrand Auxiliary Power Unit for its KC-390 aircraft Hamilton Sundstrand 19 Jan 2012 -- Hamilton Sundstrand Corporation has been chosen by Embraer Defense and Security to supply the Auxiliary Power Unit (APU) for the new Embraer KC-390 transport aircraft. Hamilton Sundstrand is a subsidiary of United Technologies Corp.
- Lockheed Martin F-35A Performs First Night Flight Lockheed Martin 19 Jan 2012 -- The first night flight in the history of the Lockheed Martin F-35 Program was completed Wednesday at Edwards Air Force Base, Calif. Piloted by Lockheed Martin Test Pilot Mark Ward, AF-6, an F-35A conventional takeoff and landing (CTOL) variant, launched at 5:05 p.m. PST and landed after sunset at 6:22 p.m.
- General Dynamics Opens Cyber Intel Facility Near Ft. Meade General Dynamics 19 Jan 2012 -- General Dynamics opened its new Cyber and Intelligence Solutions Center in Annapolis Junction today. The 28,000 square foot facility houses ample space for technical demonstrations and collaborative meetings and brings together the full breadth of General Dynamics’ cyber capabilities.
- Daily Press Briefing by the Office of the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General, 19 January 2012 United Nations 19 Jan 2012
- As demands for justice grow, UN must usher in new era of respect for the law - Ban UN News Centre 19 Jan 2012 -- The United Nations must respond as the demands for justice around the world grow, Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon said today, calling for ushering in a new era of respect for the rule of law.
- Arab League Monitors to Remain in Syria Until Sunday VOA 19 Jan 2012 -- An Arab League observer mission to Syria will remain in that country until Sunday when Arab foreign ministers are due to review report by team.
- Arab League Monitors to Prepare Report on Syria VOA 19 Jan 2012 -- Arab League monitors are preparing to report on the situation in Syria, after a one-month mission to observe the government's efforts.
- German Envoy Criticizes Russia Over Syria RFE/RL 19 Jan 2012 -- A German envoy has accused Russia of preventing the UN Security Council from taking decisive action in response to Syrian government's crackdown.
- IRAQ: People consider fleeing as violence increases IRIN 19 Jan 2012 -- Suicide attacks, assassinations and bombings in Iraq have claimed the lives of hundreds since 18 December.
- Letter - Continuation of the National Emergency with Respect to Terrorists who Threaten to Disrupt the Middle East Peace Process The White House 19 Jan 2012
- Notice - Continuation of the National Emergency with Respect to Terrorists who Threaten to Disrupt the Middle East Peace Process The White House 19 Jan 2012
- NIGERIA: Boko Haram displaced fear returning home IRIN 19 Jan 2012 -- Many of the tens of thousands of civilians who have fled their homes following a string of deadly attacks by “terrorist group” Boko Haram in northern Nigeria have not yet been able to return home.
- South Sudan: UN urges redoubling of efforts to end cycle of deadly ethnic violence UN News Centre 19 Jan 2012 -- The top UN envoy in South Sudan urged an immediate end to the cycle of ethnic violence in the newly independent nation.
- Impunity for criminal acts in Darfur displacement camps must stop - UN official UN News Centre 19 Jan 2012 -- The chief of the joint UN-AU operation in Darfur stressed his commitment to end impunity for criminal acts in displacement camps.
- KENYA: Thousands remain displaced as fighting subsides in Moyale IRIN 19 Jan 2012 -- Hundreds of families displaced during weeks of fighting between two communities in the northern Kenyan district of Moyale have ignored pleas to return.
- Western European Official Encouraged By New Transdniester Leader RFE/RL 19 Jan 2012 -- A Council of Europe official who visited Moldova's separatist Transdniester region said its new leadership shows signs it wants to improve the human rights situation in the territory.
- Russian Military Intelligence Targets Terrorism Hot Spots RIA Novosti 19 Jan 2012 -- Russia’s military intelligence has focused its activity on terrorism, crisis regions, and the prevention of nuclear proliferation.
- US Spy Agency Confirms 1980s Link to Charles Taylor VOA 19 Jan 2012 -- A U.S. intelligence agency has confirmed it worked with former Liberian leader Charles Taylor, who is now on trial for war crimes at The Hague, during his rise to power.
- Iran Says US Should Be Willing to Talk Without Conditions VOA 19 Jan 2012 -- Iran says the US should make it clear that it is ready to hold talks without conditions.
- Salehi: Negotiations should resume if West has good intention IRNA 19 Jan 2012 -- FM Salehi said that negotiations between Iran and G5+1 should resume if the West has good intention.
- Iran ready to start nuclear talks: Turkey's FM IRNA 19 Jan 2012 -- Turkish FM Ahmet Davutoglu said both the European Union and Iran have expressed their readiness to resume talks on the nuclear issue.
- White House Prods Iran On Nuclear Cooperation RFE/RL 19 Jan 2012 -- U.S. President Barack Obama's administration says Iran still has a way to end the confrontation with the United States and its allies over Tehran's nuclear program.
- Iran Warns West on Oil Embargo RIA Novosti 19 Jan 2012 -- Iran’s FM Salehi urged the West to think twice before introducing an oil embargo against his country over the situation around the Strait of Hormuz.
- Pakistani PM Appears Before Supreme Court VOA 19 Jan 2012 -- Pakistan's beleaguered PM Gilani has made a rare appearance before the country's supreme court.
- Pakistani PM Appears In Court To Face Contempt Charge RFE/RL 19 Jan 2012 -- Embattled Pakistani PM Gilani has appeared before the Supreme Court in Islamabad to face contempt of court proceedings.
- Pakistani PM says he will respect courts IRNA 19 Jan 2012 -- Pakistani PM Gilani, who appeared in the Supreme Court on a contempt of court notice, told the apex court that he respects the judiciary.
- Pakistani PM holds consultations ahead of court appearance IRNA 19 Jan 2012 -- Pakistani PM Gilani had been involved in consultations with legal experts ahead of his appearance in the Supreme Court in a contempt of court notice.
- Musharraf May Delay Return to Pakistan VOA 19 Jan 2012 -- Aides to Pakistan's former military ruler Pervez Musharraf say he may delay a planned return from self-imposed exile because of a warning from the government that he could be arrested.
- Pakistan's ex-President Musharraf postpones return: spokesman IRNA 19 Jan 2012 -- Former Pakistani President Pervez Musharraf has postponed his arrival in view of the ‘emerging political developments’.
- Bangladesh Foils Coup Attempt VOA 19 Jan 2012 -- Military officials in Bangladesh say they have uncovered a plot by religious extremists to overthrow the government.
- Bangladesh Army Says Foils Plot To Overthrow Government RFE/RL 19 Jan 2012 -- Bangladesh's army says it has foiled a plot by "religiously fanatic army officers" to overthrow the country's democratically elected government.
- Burmese Political Reforms Raise Hope for Curbing Opium Production VOA 19 Jan 2012 -- Burma's political reforms and new ceasefire agreements with ethnic armed groups are raising hopes that the country will also be able to reduce illicit opium cultivation.
- Chinese Writer Given 10-Year 'Subversion' Sentence RFE/RL 19 Jan 2012 -- Reports from China say a court has sentenced a pro-democracy activist to 10 years in jail for allegedly subverting China's communist rule.
- US Senator Seeks Release of American Jailed in Cuba VOA 19 Jan 2012 -- A high ranking member of the U.S. Senate is in Cuba trying to gain the release of an American accused of spying.
- PACE Official Faces More Opposition Criticism In Armenia RFE/RL 19 Jan 2012 -- The Armenian National Congress has joined other opposition groups in criticizing a PACE official monitoring the political situation in Armenia.
- Azerbaijan Still Refuses Visa To Council Of Europe Official RFE/RL 19 Jan 2012 -- The PACE special rapporteur on political prisoners in Azerbaijan says he still has not received an official invitation or visa to visit that country.
- Belarus' Lukashenko Promises Reform RIA Novosti 19 Jan 2012 -- Belarusian President Alexander Lukashenko has said he may launch political reform following the country’s parliamentary elections this fall.
- Election Chief Prevails in No-Confidence Challenge RIA Novosti 19 Jan 2012 -- Russian Central Election Commission head Vladimir Churov challenged the commission to discuss his dismissal.
- Putin Says He Doubts Opposition Wants Dialogue RFE/RL 19 Jan 2012 -- Russian PM Putin says he's ready for dialogue with Russian opposition forces - but says he doubts whether their leaders really want to talk to him.
- Scientists Make First-Ever Observations Of Comet’s Demise Deep Inside Solar Atmosphere Lockheed Martin 19 Jan 2012 -- In a paper to be published tomorrow in the journal Science, for the first time ever scientists at the Lockheed Martin Solar and Astrophysics Laboratory (LMSAL) at the Advanced Technology Center (ATC) in Palo Alto, and collaborators at other institutions, have reported observations and analysis of the final death throes of a comet, as it passed across the face of the Sun on July 6, 2011, to vanish in flight.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|