Find a Security Clearance Job!

Military

Dozens killed in series of blasts in Afghanistan

RIA Novosti

14:27 11/06/2011

KABUL, June 11 (RIA Novosti) - A series of bombs and explosions across Afghanistan killed at least 24 people on Saturday, officials said.

In the worst attack, a vehicle hit a roadside mine in southern Kandahar province, one of the main battlegrounds in the nearly 10-year Taliban-led insurgency against the Kabul government and NATO troops. Fifteen civilians were killed, the interior ministry said.

Earlier in the day, a suicide bomber killed at least three people and injured 12 in eastern Afghanistan. Provincial police chief Sardar Mohammad Zazai said the attack took place outside of a police headquarters building in the province of Khost.

No group has claimed responsibility for the assault.

The interior ministry also said six civilians, including a woman and two children, were wounded by mortar bombs fired at a district police headquarters in the eastern province of Kunar.

Intended to target Afghan and NATO security forces, the bombs frequently kill and wound civilians.

The New York Times has reported that the US military is sending 80 counter-intelligence agents to help stem the threat of Taliban infiltration in the Afghan security forces, following a series of shootings of NATO soldiers.



NEWSLETTER
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list