NATO Presses Pakistan To Reopen Supply Route
October 04, 2010
NATO Secretary-General Anders Fogh Rasmussen has said he hopes Pakistan will reopen a key border point for NATO supplies to Afghanistan as soon as possible.
Pakistan blocked one of the main supply routes for NATO troops in Afghanistan after a NATO helicopter strike killed three Pakistani soldiers last week in the western Kurram border region.
Rasmussen, speaking after a meeting with Pakistani Foreign Minister Shah Mehmood Qureshi, expressed regret for the deaths of Pakistani soldiers in the incident.
"Obviously this incident was unintended. Obviously we have to make sure we improve coordination between our militaries and our Pakistani partners," Rasmussen said.
"There is now a joint investigation under way and we will determine what happened and draw the right lessons."
Meanwhile, an attack on a NATO supply convoy on a different route in Pakistan today set at least 20 trucks on fire and killed three people. The Pakistani Taliban claimed responsibility for the attack and threatened to carry out more.
It was the second attack inside Pakistan targeting trucks bringing supplies for foreign forces in Afghanistan in the past few days.
compiled from agency reports
Source: http://www.rferl.org/content/NATO_Presses_ Pakistan_To_Reopen_Supply_Route/2176020.html
Copyright (c) 2010. RFE/RL, Inc. Reprinted with the permission of Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty, 1201 Connecticut Ave., N.W. Washington DC 20036.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|