27 June 2010 Military News
- NATO Announces Afghan Troop Deaths RFE/RL 27 Jun 2010 -- Intensified military operations against the Taliban are behind a surge in foreign troop deaths in Afghanistan.
- 2 US Soldiers Killed in Afghanistan VOA 27 Jun 2010 -- International forces in Afghanistan say two US service members died following a gun attack by militants in eastern Afghanistan.
- New US Commander, But Old Questions About Afghan War VOA 27 Jun 2010 -- US President Obama has a new commander for Afghanistan, General David Petraeus, after removing the previous commander.
Defense Policy / Programs
- US, South Korea Postpone Transfer of Wartime Force Control VOA 27 Jun 2010 -- President Obama has agreed to a South Korean request to postpone the transfer of operational control during wartime of South Korea.
- GW Completes Undersea Warfare Exercise Navy NewsStand 27 Jun 2010 -- USS George Washington participated in Undersea Warfare Exercise with US and Japanese naval forces in the western Pacific Ocean June 21 to 25.
- Ukrainian PM to seek Russian funds for Sevastopol infrastructure RIA Novosti 27 Jun 2010 -- Ukraine's PM would ask Russia to help upgrade the infrastructure in Sevastopol.
- KCNA and S. Korean Exercises KCNA 27 Jun 2010 -- The south Korean forces staged ground operation exercises with areas of Kyonggi and south Korean Kangwon provinces as operational theatres.
- Medvedev calls for contacts with all sides of Middle East conflict RIA Novosti 27 Jun 2010 -- Russian President Medvedev called for cooperation with all sides of the Middle East conflict during G8 summit report.
- Family of Captive Israeli Soldier Marches for Prisoner Swap VOA 27 Jun 2010 -- A protest march in Israel is highlighting the plight of a soldier held by Palestinian militants in the Gaza Strip since 2006.
- Bomb in Bosnia Kills Policeman, Wounds 6 VOA 27 Jun 2010 -- A bomb blast at a police station in central Bosnia-Herzegovina has killed one police officer and injured six others.
- G8 leaders acknowledge Russia's position on Iran - Medvedev's aide RIA Novosti 27 Jun 2010 -- Russian President Medvedev explained in detail Russia's position on Iran to participants at the G8 summit in Canada.
- Boroujerdi: Downgrading ties with Russia not on Majlis agenda IRNA 27 Jun 2010 -- Head of Majlis National Security and Foreign Policy Commission Boroujerdi: Downgrading ties with Russia is not on his Commission’s agenda.
- Telephone Message to US Forces Side KCNA 27 Jun 2010 -- It has been brought into bolder relief that the case of warship "Cheonan" sinking was a conspiratorial farce.
- Lee Myung Bak's Visit to "Cemetery of UN Forces" KCNA 27 Jun 2010 -- Lee Myung Bak of south Korea visited the "cemetery of war dead of the UN forces".
- S. Korean Police Walks Away Students KCNA 27 Jun 2010 -- With no trick to evade the blame for the Korean War can the U.S. imperialists cover up their crimes and true colors as the provocateur of the Korean War.
- All Koreans Called upon to Adhere to Joint Declaration KCNA 27 Jun 2010 -- It is urgently required by the present reality to adhere to the June 15 joint declaration and the October 4 declaration.
- Kyrgyzstan extends state of emergency in south RIA Novosti 27 Jun 2010 -- Kyrgyzstan's interim government extended on Sunday the state of emergency in the south of the country until August 10.
- Death toll in Kyrgyz ethnic violence rises to 283 RIA Novosti 27 Jun 2010 -- The death toll in the southern Kyrgyz ethnic clashes has risen to 283 people.
- Preliminary results show new Kyrgyz constitution approved RIA Novosti 27 Jun 2010 -- More than half of voters in Kyrgyzstan's referendum on a new constitution on voted to approve the document.
- Kyrgyz elections head says too soon to call constitution adopted RIA Novosti 27 Jun 2010 -- Head of the country's Central Election Committee: It is premature to say voters in Kyrgyzstan approved the new constitution.
- Kyrgyz voters approve new constitution - interim leader RIA Novosti 27 Jun 2010 -- Interim leader Roza Otunbayeva: Kyrgyzstan's voters approved on Sunday a new constitution for the country.
- Kyrgyzstan Referendum Held Under Tight Security VOA 27 Jun 2010 -- Kyrgyz citizens are voting in a constitutional referendum weeks after deadly inter-ethnic clashes sent parts of the country into a state of emergency.
- Russian elections chief sees no major problems with Kyrgyz vote RIA Novosti 27 Jun 2010 -- Russian election monitors have not observed any major violations during Kyrgyzstan's referendum on a new constitution.
- Voting Begins In Kyrgyz Referendum RFE/RL 27 Jun 2010 -- Kyrgyz are going to the polls amid tight security to vote on a new constitution that the country's interim government hopes will legitimize its rule.
- Burundians Vote Monday for President Amid Opposition Boycott VOA 27 Jun 2010 -- A leading member of Burundi’s ruling CNDD-FDD party says the government has tightened security to ensure the presidential election scheduled to begin morning is credible and devoid of violence.
- Arabsat 5A satellite successfully launched Thales 27 Jun 2010 -- Arabsat 5A telecommunication satellite has been successfully launched tonight by Arianespace form Kourou, in French Guyana, with an Ariane 5 rocket. Arabsat 5A will provide a large range of satellite communications services for Middle East and Africa.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|