28 February 2010 Military News
- Airpower Summary: Feb. 26 AFNS 28 Feb 2010
- Airpower Summary: Feb. 25 AFNS 28 Feb 2010
- Airpower Summary: Feb. 24 AFNS 28 Feb 2010
- Roadside Bomb Kills 11 Afghan Civilians VOA 28 Feb 2010 -- Local officials in Afghanistan's southern Helmand province say a roadside bomb has killed 11 civilians.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Poland vows to deploy U.S. Patriot missiles in early April RIA Novosti 28 Feb 2010 -- Poland will deploy first U.S. Patriot missiles on its soil beginning in early April, a spokesman for the Polish Defense Ministry said.
- IAF displays fire power prowess at “Vayu Shakti-2010” IRNA 28 Feb 2010 -- Indian Air Force (IAF) aircraft blasted away targets by day, dusk and night in a fire power demonstration exercise, “Vayu Shakti-2010”, at Pokharan in Gujarat state Sunday.
- Israeli Police Storm Disputed Jerusalem Holy Place VOA 28 Feb 2010 -- Police had to respond to violence that erupted at a Jerusalem landmark sacred to both Jews and Muslims.
- Somali Rebel Group Bans UN World Food Program VOA 28 Feb 2010 -- Somalia's most prominent rebel group, al-Shabab, has banned the United Nations World Food Program and ordered the agency to leave the impoverished country.
- YEMEN: Saada schools reopen IRIN 28 Feb 2010 -- Hundreds of schools in the northern Yemeni province of Saada have reopened after five months of closure following an 11 February ceasefire between Yemen's army and Houthi-led Shia rebels, according to local officials.
- Iran's Supreme Leader Criticizes International Atomic Energy Agency VOA 28 Feb 2010 -- Iran's Supreme Leader is criticizing the International Atomic Energy Agency and Western countries for saying his country's nuclear ambitions are not entirely peaceful.
- Moslehi: No country helped Iran nab terrorist ringleader Rigi IRNA 28 Feb 2010 -- Information Minister Heidar Moslehi said on Sunday that the Islamic Republic of Iran managed to arrest the notorious terrorist ringleader Abdolmalek Rigi without help from any other country.
- Supreme Leader: Western political ploys against Iran will backfire IRNA 28 Feb 2010 -- Supreme Leader of the Islamic Revolution Ayatollah Seyed Ali Khamenei said on Sunday that the US, Britain and Zionists have launched a propaganda campaign against Iran’s nuclear program and that their unjust measures will backfire.
- Rigi terrorist group set up to trigger tribal dispute in Iran IRNA 28 Feb 2010 -- Deputy Interior Minister for Plitical Affairs Solat Mortazavi said Sunday that foreign espionage services have set up Rigi’s terrorist group to trigger tribal disputes in Iran.
- Larijani: US administration should answer for Rigi actions IRNA 28 Feb 2010 -- Parliament Speaker Ali Larijani said the US administration and its president should answer for the actions of the terrorist Abdolmalek Rigi.
- Iraq’s Kurdish Region Gears Up For National Vote RFE/RL 28 Feb 2010 -- A horse’s head over a rising sun serves as the symbol of the Kurdistan Alliance, a union of the Kurdistan Democratic Party (KDP) and the Patriotic Union of Kurdistan (PUK). The alliance will be making its bid, alongside three other Iraqi Kurdish lists, for seats in the Iraqi parliament in the national elections set for March 7.
- Top UN envoy to Iraq urges international community to back upcoming polls UN News Centre 28 Feb 2010 -- The top United Nations envoy to Iraq today urged the international community to support the internal political process taking shape in the strife-torn country ahead of next week's parliamentary elections and allow Iraq to “normalize” on its own terms.
- Search For Survivors Continues After Chile Massive Quake VOA 28 Feb 2010 -- Rescue workers are tearing through the rubble in search of survivors in Chile Sunday, a day after a massive earthquake shattered the country's central region.
- Smaller-than-Expected Tsunami Reaches Japan, Russia VOA 28 Feb 2010 -- A tsunami generated by Chile's massive earthquake reached the shores of Japan and Russia Sunday, but waves were smaller than expected and did not cause damage or casualties.
- Early Fraud Allegations Emerge In Tajik Vote RFE/RL 28 Feb 2010 -- Polls have closed in Tajikistan's parliamentary and local elections with opposition politicians in the impoverished Central Asian nation claiming that the vote was deeply flawed.
- Tajiks Voting In Parliamentary Elections RFE/RL 28 Feb 2010 -- Parliamentary and local elections were taking place February 28 in Tajikistan.
- Turnout at parliamentary, local elections in Tajikistan 85.2% RIA Novosti 28 Feb 2010 -- Parliamentary and local elections in Tajikistan ended on Sunday at 20:00 local time (15:00 GMT) with a voter turnout of 85.2%, the Central Election Commission (CEC) said.
- Protests Sweep Southern Yemen VOA 28 Feb 2010 -- As donor countries met today in Saudi Arabia to decide how best to spend international aid recently pledged to Yemen, a second day of protests swept the southern half of the country. The protesters are calling for secession from the Yemeni state, and for support from donor countries.
- Russian Courts Ordered To Respect Strasbourg Rulings RFE/RL 28 Feb 2010 -- Russia's Constitutional Court has issued a resolution declaring that rulings by the European Court of Human Rights in Strasbourg must serve as a basis for appeals on rulings passed by Russian courts, RFE/RL's Russian Service reports.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|