17 December 2009 Military News
- OIF/OEF Casualty Update 17 Dec 2009 [PDF]
- Dec. 16 airpower summary AFNS 17 Dec 2009 -- Coalition airpower integrated with ground forces in Iraq and International Security Assistance Force troops in Afghanistan during operations Dec. 16 according to Combined Air and Space Operations Center officials here.
- Security Forces in Baghdad Crack Down on al-Qaida AFPS 17 Dec 2009 -- Iraqi security forces with US advisors arrested a suspected leader of a terrorist group operating in southern Baghdad.
- Desert Rogues, Iraqi Army Uncover Large Weapons Cache Army News 17 Dec 2009 -- Soldiers from 1-64th Armor and members from 2/52 Iraqi Army Brigade discovered a large weapons cache in Ninewa province.
- Soldiers Prepare for Iraqi Elections AFPS 17 Dec 2009 -- With Iraq’s national elections approaching, U.S. soldiers are preparing to support the Iraqi army and police while remaining in the background.
- Shooter-detection 'Boomerangs' helping in Iraq Army News 17 Dec 2009 -- Acoustic shooter-detection system called "Boomerang" detects incoming gunfire in Iraq and alerts Soldiers to the shooter's location.
- Iraqi PM: Security Forces Not Linked to Baghdad Bombings VOA 17 Dec 2009 -- Mr. Maliki was quoted as telling a news conference that about 45 suspects in the attacks were linked to three different security force branches.
- Raiders Case Colors, Ready for Mission Army News 17 Dec 2009 -- First Heavy Brigade Combat Team held their Color casing ceremony at Marne Garden at Fort Stewart, Ga., Dec. 11.
- From group to regiment, regiment to battalion: Marines continue to drawdown in Iraq USMC News 17 Dec 2009 -- Combat Logistics Battalion 46 officially took over for Combat Logistics Regiment 27 (Forward) aboard Al Asad Air Base, Iraq, Dec. 16.
- Iraqi Air Force College opens in Tikrit Army News 17 Dec 2009 -- Iraqi Air Force College raised its flag signaling its return to Tikrit at a multi-event ceremony on Contingency Operating Base Speicher.
- Transcript: DoD News Briefing with David Sedney from the Pentagon DoD 17 Dec 2009 -- Presenter: Deputy Assistant Secretary For Afghanistan, Pakistan and Central Asia, David Sedney
- Forces in Afghanistan Detain Suspected Militants AFPS 17 Dec 2009 -- Combined Afghan and international security forces detained several militants today in three operations around Afghanistan.
- Coalition Troops Launch Major Offensive East of Kabul VOA 17 Dec 2009 -- French military officials say more than 1,000 soldiers, including Afghan, U.S. and 800 French legionnaires, have launched a major offensive east of Kabul.
- A Joint Connection in the Skies Over Afghanistan Navy NewsStand 17 Dec 2009 -- Air Force tankers provide a vital in-flight refueling to extend CVW 11 missions over Afghanistan in support of Operation Enduring Freedom.
- Pentagon Says U.S. Troop Surge Into Afghanistan Under Way RFE/RL 17 Dec 2009 -- US DoD: First of the additional 30,000 troops ordered to Afghanistan by President Barack Obama have begun to arrive in the country.
- McChrystal Praises Canada's Afghanistan Contributions AFPS 17 Dec 2009 -- The demonstrated bravery and resolve of the nearly 3,000 Canadian forces serving in Afghanistan reflects the commitment necessary to achieve success.
- U.S. Army to Fast-Track More Gear to Afghans Army News 17 Dec 2009 -- US Army preparing to step-up materiel transfers of urgently needed war-fighting gear to Afghan forces.
- Afghanistan Seeks to Control Own Destiny in 2010 VOA 17 Dec 2009 -- In early 2009, Taliban insurgents controlled most of southern Afghanistan as well as the country's lucrative drug trade.
- U.S. Envoy To Kabul Vows 'Long-Term Partnership' RFE/RL 17 Dec 2009 -- RFE/RL's Radio Free Afghanistan hosted a call-in program with the U.S. ambassador to Kabul, Karl Eikenberry.
- NATO Chief Looks For Afghan Help, Eases Tension In Moscow RFE/RL 17 Dec 2009 -- NATO Secretary-General came to Moscow with a list of military equipment and assistance he hoped to procure from the Kremlin.
- U.S. Ambassador Says Iranians Still Helping Taliban Militants RFE/RL 17 Dec 2009 -- Karl Eikenberry continues to receive intelligence reports about "Iran or elements within Iran" providing weapons and training to Taliban militants.
- Export value of Afghan opium plummeting, says UN anti-drug agency UN News Centre 17 Dec 2009 -- United Nations anti-drug body: Potential export value of Afghanistan’s opium has dropped 18 per cent this year.
- Guardian journalist released by Afghan kidnappers IRNA 17 Dec 2009 -- Jjournalist Ghaith Abdul-Ahad has been released after being held hostage for six days in a remote region of Afghanistan.
- 201st Military Intelligence Battalion completes Mission Readiness Evaluation Army News 17 Dec 2009 -- The initial deployment rehearsal exercise for the 201st Military Intelligence (MI) Battalion was conducted here at the Intelligence and Security Command (INSCOM) Detention Training Facility (IDTF) and encampment area Dec. 7-11.
- Pakistan Turns Down Key US Requests RFE/RL 17 Dec 2009 -- Reports Pakistan's leader has rejected a personal request from US President Obama to expand the army's operations in tribal areas.
- U.S.-Pakistani Talks Focus on Long-Term Partnership AFPS 17 Dec 2009 -- The United States is committed to a long-term strategic partnership with Pakistan that’s critical to the success of new Afghanistan strategy.
- Pakistani PM warns against US drone strikes' expansion IRNA 17 Dec 2009 -- Pakistani PM Gilani warned visiting US Army Chief expansion of US drone strikes will affect terror war efforts.
- US Drone Strikes Kill 12 in Western Pakistan VOA 17 Dec 2009 -- The first attack targeted a vehicle carrying two suspected militants in the town of Dosali, in the North Waziristan tribal area near the Afghan border.
- Pakistani Taliban commander, 6 militants killed IRNA 17 Dec 2009 -- Pakistani security forces: A Taliban commander and 6 militants have been killed in Waziristan tribal region.
- Top U.S general visits Pakistan's Swat Valley IRNA 17 Dec 2009 -- Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, United States, Admiral Michael, G. Mullen visited Pakistan’s insurgency-hit Swat Valley.
- US Complains of Pakistani Visa Holdups for Embassy Officials VOA 17 Dec 2009 -- State Department expressed serious concern about delays in the issuance of visas for officials and contractors assigned to posts in Pakistan.
Defense Policy / Programs
- DoD News: Army Announces Force Structure Actions DoD 17 Dec 2009 -- The Department of the Army announced today a series of planned unit activations at three installations. These force structure actions will result in an increase of 70 soldiers and 164 civilians at Fort Gordon, Ga., and an increase of 90 soldiers and 92 civilians at two different locations: Fort Sam Houston, Texas, and Fort Eustis, Va.
- DoD News: Army Announces Force Structure Actions at Fort Lewis, Wash. DoD 17 Dec 2009 -- The Army announced today the planned activation of the 4th Battalion, 1st Special Forces Group.
- Combatant Commands Conduct Missile Exercise AFPS 17 Dec 2009 -- U.S. Joint Forces Command, in partnership with U.S. Strategic Command, concluded a two-day proof-of-concept missile exercise.
- Common Controller for the Mobile Network Integration Kit Demonstrated Army News 17 Dec 2009 -- Director of the Future Force Integration Directorate noted that Network Integration Kit may need to be tailored for the dismounted Soldier.
- 11 Air Force agencies to colocate AFNS 17 Dec 2009 -- Upon completion of an estimated $65 million renovation, a building here will house more than 2,800 workers from 11 Air Force agencies.
- Stethem Holds Change of Command Ceremony Navy NewsStand 17 Dec 2009 -- The Arleigh Burke-class guided-missile destroyer USS Stethem (DDG 63) held a change of command ceremony at Harbor Master Pier Dec. 11.
- USS Ingraham Holds Change of Command Navy NewsStand 17 Dec 2009 -- USS Ingraham (FFG 61) held a change of command ceremony Dec. 13.
- Russian delegation visits CAC, CGSC Army News 17 Dec 2009 -- Delegation from Russia visiting the Combined Arms Center and the Command and General Staff College.
- Doctors Perform Groundbreaking Surgery at Walter Reed AFPS 17 Dec 2009 -- Doctors collaborated to perform the first pancreas islet cell transplant Thanksgiving Day on an airman whose pancreas was injured so severely in Afghanistan that it had to be removed.
- Joint Trauma Analysis and Prevention of Injury in Combat Program Army News 17 Dec 2009 -- The Joint Trauma Analysis and Prevention of Injury in Combat (JTAPIC) Program is a partnership among DOD intelligence, operational, medical and materiel development communities.
- Report Finds 75 Percent of Young Americans Unfit For Military VOA 17 Dec 2009 -- It is not a short term problem because high unemployment rates are causing many qualified people to join the military.
- Hampton Roads Naval Museum Bids Farewell to Historic Battleship Navy NewsStand 17 Dec 2009 -- The Hampton Roads Naval Museum surrendered responsibility for USS Wisconsin (BB 64) Dec. 14 to the city of Norfolk.
- Military housing allowance rates set for 2010 AFNS 17 Dec 2009 -- Military members will see an average raise of 2.5 percent in housing allowance rates in 2010, a BAH program analyst for the DoD said Dec. 16.
- Law allows spouses to keep residency while under orders AFNS 17 Dec 2009 -- A new law protects military spouses from being taxed for work performed in states where they're living outside their home states as a result of military orders.
- 2nd Combat Aviation Brigade conducts combined training exercise with Republic of Korea Army forces Army News 17 Dec 2009 -- The 3rd Republic of Korea Army conducted a combined training exercise with the 2-2nd Aviation, 3-2nd Aviation, and the 4-2nd Aviation.
- Rescue crews train Japan Air Self Defense Force pilots AFNS 17 Dec 2009 -- Japanese Air Self-Defense Force pilots teamed up with 129th Rescue Wing aircrews here for refueling training Dec. 7 to 18.
- Russia's Lavrov Says US Slowing Progress on Arms Pact VOA 17 Dec 2009 -- Russia's top diplomat is accusing the US of holding up progress on a new nuclear arms treaty.
- U.S.-Russia nuclear deal not expected this year - U.S. official RIA Novosti 17 Dec 2009 -- US does not expect a landmark nuclear arms reduction treaty with Russia to be signed before the end of the year.
- Russia meets obligations for chemical weapons decommissioning RIA Novosti 17 Dec 2009 -- Russia remains on schedule in fulfilling its commitments under the chemical weapons convention.
- Russia's Defense Ministry to spend $790 mln on exercises in 2010 RIA Novosti 17 Dec 2009 -- The Russian Defense Ministry plans to spend around 24 billion rubles on drills and exercises involving all braches of service.
- Russian warship escorts freighter to safety off Somalia RIA Novosti 17 Dec 2009 -- A Russian warship has escorted a commercial ship in distress through the pirate-infested waters off the coast of Somali.
- NATO chief expects joint missile defense with Russia by 2020 RIA Novosti 17 Dec 2009 -- NATO Secretary General expressed hope that the alliance and Russia would establish a joint missile defense system by 2020.
- NATO chief says no compromise with Russia over Georgia RIA Novosti 17 Dec 2009 -- NATO Secretary General Anders Fogh Rasmussen: The Western military bloc was not prepared to compromise with Russia on Georgia.
- NATO jets shadow Russian bombers over Arctic, Atlantic RIA Novosti 17 Dec 2009 -- Two Russian Tu-95MS Bear strategic bombers that carried out a routine patrol flight over the Arctic and Atlantic Oceans were shadowed by 'regular' NATO fighters, the Defense Ministry said on Thursday.
- Admiral Gorshkov aircraft carrier overhaul to cost India $2.3 bln RIA Novosti 17 Dec 2009 -- India will pay Russia $2.3 billion for work to refit the Admiral Gorshkov aircraft carrier.
- Document Signed between DPRK and Chinese Security Ministries KCNA 17 Dec 2009 -- A document on offer of aid materials between the DPRK Ministry of People's Security and the Chinese Ministry of Public Security was signed.
- Talks Held between DPRK and Chinese Security Ministers KCNA 17 Dec 2009 -- Talks were held between Ju Sang Song, minister of People's Security of the DPRK, and Meng Jianzhu, minister of Public Security of China.
- China pledges Rs 220 million aid as military assistance to Nepal IRNA 17 Dec 2009 -- China said it will train the Nepalese Army and pledged Rs 220 million as military assistance for procuring "non lethal" hardware and logistics.
- S. Korea Military in West Sea KCNA 17 Dec 2009 -- Forces of the south Korean army in waters of the West Sea on the extension of the frontline on Dec. 17.
- U.S. Department of State Daily Press Briefing US Dept. of State 17 Dec 2009
- DoD News: Contracts for December 17, 2009
- CACI Awarded $24 Million Task Order to Support C4ISR Initiatives for U.S. Army CACI 17 Dec 2009 -- CACI International Inc (NYSE:CACI) announced today that it has been awarded a $24 million task order to provide engineering, logistics, business, and program support services for C4ISR programs under the purview of the Force Modernization Division, of the Directorate for Readiness, Logistics Readiness Center, Communications-Electronics Lifecycle Management Command at Ft. Monmouth, New Jersey. The contract, for one base year, and one option year, was awarded under the Army's Strategic Services Sourcing (S3) contract vehicle.
- Royal Air Force to Acquire 7th Boeing C-17 Globemaster III Boeing 17 Dec 2009 -- The Boeing Company [NYSE: BA] and the United Kingdom Ministry of Defence this week announced an agreement for the acquisition of a seventh C-17 Globemaster III for the Royal Air Force (RAF). Boeing is scheduled to deliver the aircraft in December 2010.
- BAE SYSTEMS AWARDED $59 MILLION CONTRACT FROM U.S. ARMY FOR PRODUCTION OF IRAQI LIGHT ARMORED VEHICLES BAE Systems 17 Dec 2009 -- BAE Systems has received a $59 million contract from the U.S. Army Tank-automotive and Armaments Command for the production of 109 second-generation Iraqi Light Armored Vehicles (ILAV) and 10 Mine Roller Kits. These vehicles are being built for delivery to the Iraqi Ministry of Defense and Interior.
- Aegis Ballistic Missile Defense System Upgrade Successfully Tracks Sophisticated Missile Targets in Exercise Series Lockheed Martin 17 Dec 2009 -- The second generation of Lockheed Martin’s [NYSE: LMT] Aegis Ballistic Missile Defense (BMD) system, BMD 4.0.1, successfully detected, tracked and conducted simulated engagements against a variety of different ballistic missile targets during a series of tracking exercises in the Pacific.
- Eurocopter celebrates the maiden flight of its new EC175 helicopter EADS 17 Dec 2009 -- "It's an immense pleasure to see the EC175 soaring through the skies," declared Eurocopter CEO Lutz Bertling. "This helicopter was developed in close cooperation with our customers to ensure it would be perfectly suited to their needs—particularly in terms of safety and comfort. This is the product everyone's been waiting for on the civil market. I would like to congratulate and thank our colleagues from China, all our personnel who invested so much time and effort in this project, and, of course, our industrial partners. Their combined efforts have made it possible for the EC175 to perform its maiden flight right on schedule, that’s to say exactly four years after the program was launched, which is a real technological wizardry. "
- Northrop Grumman Wins Logistics Support Contract for U.S. Navy Navigation and Ship Control Systems Northrop Grumman 17 Dec 2009 -- Northrop Grumman Corporation's (NYSE:NOC) Sperry Marine business unit has been awarded a follow-on contract to provide performance-based logistics (PBL) support for navigation and steering systems installed on U.S. Navy surface ships and submarines.
- GAO Decision Affirms Major Army Conclusions Supporting Oshkosh FMTV Award; Denies Challenges to $440 Million Dollars in Savings And Nearly All Other Protestor Complaints Oshkosh 17 Dec 2009 -- The U.S. Army’s conclusion that Oshkosh Corporation (NYSE: OSK) proposed the lowest price and has the capability and experience to build the Family of Medium Tactical Vehicles (FMTV) was unchallenged by the Government Accountability Office’s (GAO) decision, released in redacted form today. The decision significantly expands on the GAO’s press release of December 14, 2009, regarding the protests against the U.S. Army’s award decision by BAE Systems and Navistar Defense.
- UK Awards Javelin Joint Venture $176 Million for Javelin Missile Rounds Raytheon 17 Dec 2009 -- The Raytheon Company (NYSE: RTN) - Lockheed Martin (NYSE: LMT) Javelin Joint Venture received a $176 million contract from the United Kingdom's Ministry of Defense for more than 1,300 Javelin missile rounds and associated engineering support.
- SAIC Awarded $20 Million Contract to Support U.S. Navy Chief Bureau of Medicine and Surgery SAIC 17 Dec 2009 -- Science Applications International Corporation (SAIC) (NYSE: SAI) today announced it has been awarded a prime contract by the U.S. Army Research, Development and Engineering Command Acquisition Center - Natick Contracting Division to support the U.S. Navy's Chief Bureau of Medicine and Surgery (BUMED) for Medical Research and Development, and their subordinate research and development commands. The multiple-award, indefinite-delivery/indefinite-quantity contract has a one year base period of performance, four one-year options, and a total value of $20 million if all options are exercised. Work will be performed primarily at the Naval Health Research Center in San Diego and at BUMED facilities throughout the U.S.
- Daily Press Briefing by the Office of the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General United Nations 17 Dec 2009
- Middle East peace efforts face race against time, UN envoy warns UN News Centre 17 Dec 2009 -- Senior UN Official: Efforts to forge a Middle East peace are “in a race against time” with both sides needing to do more.
- Egyptian Mediator to Visit Israel to Discuss Prisoner Swap VOA 17 Dec 2009 -- Israel has invited a senior Egyptian mediator to Jerusalem, raising speculation about a possible prisoner swap with Hamas.
- Russia welcomes PLO's decision to extend Abbas's term RIA Novosti 17 Dec 2009 -- Moscow welcomes the decision by the Palestine Liberation Organization to extend the tenure of Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas.
- UN-backed meeting calls on world to support Somalia's Government UN News Centre 17 Dec 2009 -- An international meeting on Somalia called on the world community to offer practical and, where possible, direct support to the Transitional Federal Government.
- Security Council demands Liberia do more to freeze assets of alleged war criminals UN News Centre 17 Dec 2009 -- UN Security Council today demanded Liberia “make all necessary efforts to fulfil its obligations” to freeze the assets of alleged war criminals.
- Security Council extends UN mission in Burundi for another year as elections loom UN News Centre 17 Dec 2009 -- UNSC extended for another year the political mission in Burundi, calling for full support for next year’s elections.
- U.S. critical about Nauru recognition of Abkhazia, S.Ossetia RIA Novosti 17 Dec 2009 -- The recognition of Abkhazia and South Ossetia by the tiny Pacific island of Nauru will not make the governments of the former Georgian republics legitimate.
- OSCE Official Hopeful Kazakh Chairmanship Can Help Georgia RFE/RL 17 Dec 2009 -- OSCE official: Kazakhstan could play an important role in resolving tensions between Georgia and its breakaway regions when it takes over the OSCE chair in 2010.
- Pakistan's Defense Minister Barred From Leaving Country VOA 17 Dec 2009 -- Pakistan's defense minister says he was barred from leaving the country late following Court decision that revived corruption charges against him.
- Pakistan introduces austerity measures IRNA 17 Dec 2009 -- Pakistan has introduced austerity measures which include reduction in the number of ministries and slashes foreign visits.
- Opponents Call on Pakistan President Zardari to Quit VOA 17 Dec 2009 -- Pakistani opposition groups are calling for President Asif Ali Zardari to step down from office following a court ruling striking down an amnesty decree.
- Pakistani court cancels amnesty law IRNA 17 Dec 2009 -- Pakistan’s Supreme Court cancelled a controversial law which had granted amnesty to President Asif Ali Zardari, accused of corruption.
- GUINEA: September violence only underscores reign of impunity IRIN 17 Dec 2009 -- The killing and rape of civilians in Guinea by soldiers breaking up an anti-junta rally on 28 September shocked a nation and the international community.
- Guinea Government Commission Says no Proof of September 28 Killings VOA 17 Dec 2009 -- In Guinea, the government commission investigating the killing of opposition protesters at a September 28 rally said its preliminary findings show no killings took place inside the stadium.
- Human Rights Watch says Guinea Military Planned Attack on Civilians VOA 17 Dec 2009 -- A commission of inquiry established by Guinea's military government says there are no confirmed cases of rape.
- Madagascar Leader Calls Parliamentary Elections, Rejects International Mediation VOA 17 Dec 2009 -- Madagascar's leader Andry Rajoelina has called for parliamentary elections after rejecting negotiations aimed at ending the crisis.
- Swiss Minaret Ban Heads to European Court VOA 17 Dec 2009 -- The complaint was filed by Hafid Ouardiri, the former spokesman for the Geneva mosque who now heads a Muslim association aimed at promoting interfaith dialogue. He says that by enacting the ban against minaret construction, Switzerland violated the European human rights convention which guarantees freedom of religion and against discrimination.
- Alleged merchant of death 'not linked' to Thai arms plane - PM RIA Novosti 17 Dec 2009 -- There is no evidence alleged Russian gun-runner Viktor Bout was linked to an illicit arms plane seized in Bangkok en route from North Korea.
- Italian PM Leaves Hospital VOA 17 Dec 2009 -- Video showed the prime minister with his face bandaged and waving to reporters as he got into a limousine.
- Italian PM Berlusconi discharged from hospital RIA Novosti 17 Dec 2009 -- Italian PM Berlusconi was discharged from the San Raffaele Hospital in Milan after recovering from a recent attack with a souvenir statue by a mentally ill man.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|