The Largest Security-Cleared Career Network for Defense and Intelligence Jobs - JOIN NOW

Military

Honduran president issues ultimatum to coup leaders

RIA Novosti

09:26 14/07/2009 MOSCOW, July 14 (RIA Novosti) - Honduran President Manuel Zelaya, ousted in a coup in late June, has said he will consider talks with interim leaders a "failure" unless he is reinstated in the next round of negotiations.

Zelaya was expected to return home last week, but was blocked at the airport runway by coup leaders and was forced to fly on to Nicaragua.

World powers, as well as the United Nations and the Organization of American States (OAS) have condemned developments and have called for the coup leaders to step down.

"We are giving an ultimatum to the coup regime, that at the latest in the next meeting this week in San Jose, Costa Rica, they should carry out the expressed [OAS and UN] resolutions

(to reinstate me)," Zelaya said at a news conference in Nicaragua's Managua. "If not, then this mediation will be considered to have failed."

No country has recognized interim leader Roberto Micheletti, who took over in Honduras after the military arrested Zelaya on June 28, the day polls were due to open for a referendum on the extension of his non-renewable, four-year term of office, and flew him to Costa Rica.

The first round of talks, which was held in the Costa Rican capital, San Jose, on July 9 and July 10, produced no results. Zelaya and Micheletti have so far refused to hold one-on-one talks but had separate meetings with Costa Rican President Oscar Arias.



NEWSLETTER
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list