10 October 2009 Military News
Defense Policy / Programs
- Oct. 9 airpower summary: F-16 provides cover for medevac missions AFNS 09 Oct 2009 -- Coalition airpower integrated with ground forces in Iraq and ISAF in Afghanistan during operations.
- NATO force mandate extension to stabilize Afghanistan - Russia RIA Novosti 10 Oct 2009 -- The extension of the mandate of NATO-led forces in Afghanistan will "contribute to the process of Afghan settlement.
- Afghanistan, Iran Lead Clinton Agenda for European Trip VOA 10 Oct 2009 -- US Secretary of State Clinton departed for a five-day trip to Europe and Russia.
- Commandos Free 39 Hostages, Ending Militant Siege in Pakistan VOA 10 Oct 2009 -- Military officials in Pakistan say the siege near the army's headquarters in Rawalpindi, near the capital, Islamabad, is over.
- Gunmen Take Hostages in Attack on Pakistani Army Headquarters VOA 10 Oct 2009 -- Pakistani military officials say gunmen attacked the army's headquarters in Rawalpindi Saturday near the capital, killing six troops.
- 10 dead in Taliban attack on Pakistani army HQ RIA Novosti 10 Oct 2009 -- At least 10 people were killed on Saturday when Taliban gunmen attacked Pakistan's army headquarters in Rawalpindi.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Peleliu Conducts Sea Trials After Completing Maintenance Period Navy NewsStand 10 Oct 2009 -- For the first time in more than eight months, USS Peleliu went to sea.
- US Denies Plans to Deploy Anti-Missile Radar in Ukraine VOA 10 Oct 2009 -- US has no plans to deploy U.S. radar systems or weaponry in Ukraine, following comments that caused Russia to seek clarification.
- Russian Soldiers' Mothers Kidnap Sons To Prevent Beating RFE/RL 10 Oct 2009 -- 4 women said that they had to kidnap their sons from their military unit in order to "save them from a beating."
- India, Russia to sign new military pact RIA Novosti 10 Oct 2009 -- India and Russia will extend their strategic and military partnership when they sign a new military cooperation agreement in December.
- India set to discuss overhaul of Su-30 fighter jets with Russia RIA Novosti 10 Oct 2009 -- India will discuss the modernization of the Russian-made Su-30MKI aircraft in service with its air force.
- NATO Chief Says Focus On 'Practical Cooperation' With Russia RFE/RL 10 Oct 2009 -- NATO's new secretary-general Rasmussen: NATO seeks to persuade Russia the alliance is "not an enemy."
- Egypt makes new proposal on Hamas-Fatah pact RIA Novosti 10 Oct 2009 -- Egypt made a new proposal to Hamas after it requested a delay in the signing of a reconciliation pact.
- Somali Rebels Carry Out Amputations on Robbery Suspects VOA 10 Oct 2009 -- Somalia's hardline Islamist group, al-Shabab, has publicly cut off hands and feet of three suspected robbers.
- Russia set to rotate peacekeepers in Sudan RIA Novosti 10 Oct 2009 -- Russia's peacekeeping contingent in Sudan will be rotated on October 19-25.
- 11 Dead in UN Plane Crash in Haiti VOA 10 Oct 2009 -- A United Nations plane with 11 people on board has crashed in Haiti, and U.N. officials say everyone on the flight was killed.
- US Lawmakers, Students React to Nobel Peace Prize VOA 10 Oct 2009 -- In the U.S. Congress, there has been a mix of reaction to the awarding of the Nobel Peace Prize to President Barack Obama.
- Medvedev congratulates Obama on winning Nobel Peace Prize RIA Novosti 10 Oct 2009 -- Russian President Dmitry Medvedev has congratulated his U.S. counterpart Barack Obama on winning the Nobel Peace Prize.
- Progress Reported in Post-Coup Honduras Negotiations VOA 10 Oct 2009 -- Negotiators for rival camps in Honduras' post-coup standoff are reporting significant progress.
- Moscow welcomes Armenian-Turkish accords RIA Novosti 10 Oct 2009 -- Moscow welcomes the historic Armenian-Turkish accords, which will strengthen regional security.
- Turkey, Armenia sign historic accords restoring diplomatic relations RIA Novosti 10 Oct 2009 -- Turkey and Armenia signed historic accords restoring diplomatic relations and opening borders between the two countries.
- Armenia, Turkey Sign Landmark Accord Despite Tensions VOA 10 Oct 2009 -- The former Soviet republic of Armenia and Turkey have signed an historic accord on normalizing relations after a century of hostility.
- Poland Ratifies EU Treaty VOA 10 Oct 2009 -- Poland has signed the Lisbon Treaty which aims to streamline the workings of the European Union.
- Beijing warns U.S. lawmakers to stay out of China's internal affairs RIA Novosti 10 Oct 2009 -- China has cautioned U.S. legislators against intervening in China's domestic affairs, specifically in Tibet.
- Burma's Ruling General Confirms 2010 Election VOA 10 Oct 2009 -- Burmese state media reported Saturday that Burma's military leader has confirmed a general election is scheduled for 2010.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|