04 October 2009 Military News
- Oct. 3 airpower summary: F-16s deter enemy actions AFNS 04 Oct 2009 -- Coalition airpower integrated with ground forces in Iraq and ISAF in Afghanistan during operations.
- At Least 10 Coalition Troops Killed in Eastern Afghanistan VOA 04 Oct 2009 -- A militant assault in an eastern border region of Afghanistan has left eight American and several Afghan soldiers dead.
- Eight U.S. troops killed in Taliban attack in Afghanistan RIA Novosti 04 Oct 2009 -- Eight U.S. soldiers were killed in an attack by the radical Islamic Taliban group in eastern Afghanistan.
Defense Policy / Programs
- USS Ingraham Visits Tahiti, French Polynesia Navy NewsStand 04 Oct 2009 -- The guided-missile frigate USS Ingraham (FFG 61) made a scheduled port visit to Papeete, Tahiti, Sept. 24.
- Air Force humanitarian team set to depart for Indonesia AFNS 04 Oct 2009 -- An Air Force humanitarian assistance rapid response team is preparing to depart on two C-17 Globemaster IIIs out of Japan and Guam to provide disaster relief to Indonesia.
- Central Asia: Developing Armies Of The Underprivileged? RFE/RL 04 Oct 2009 -- October marks the beginning of military call-up season in much of Central Asia.
- Israeli Police Clash with Palestinians near Jerusalem Holy Place VOA 04 Oct 2009 -- Violence erupted Sunday near a disputed site that is sacred to Muslims and Jews in Jerusalem.
- More Nigerian Militants Give Up Arms Ahead of Amnesty Deadline VOA 04 Oct 2009 -- Thousands of rebels in Nigeria's volatile Niger Delta are surrendering their weapons and accepting a government amnesty, which expires Sunday.
- Greek Conservatives Concede Election Defeat VOA 04 Oct 2009 -- Greece's ruling conservative party has conceded defeat in Sunday's national election.
- Greek opposition leads election, could form govt. RIA Novosti 04 Oct 2009 -- Greece's Socialist opposition party PASOK is leading in Sunday's parliamentary election in the Mediterranean country with 43.1% of the vote, the Interior Ministry said.
- Greece to vote in early parliamentary elections on Sunday RIA Novosti 04 Oct 2009 -- Early parliamentary elections will be held in Greece on Sunday.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|