02 October 2009 Military News
Defense Policy / Programs
- Oct. 1 airpower summary: A-10s silence enemy activity AFNS 02 Oct 2009 -- Coalition airpower integrated with ground forces in Iraq and ISAF in Afghanistan during operations.
- Iraq Commander Plans More US Troop Cuts VOA 02 Oct 2009 -- Top US and coalition commander in Iraq expects to continue reducing the number of American troops in the country during the next several months.
- 3rd LAR warriors return home USMC News 02 Oct 2009 -- Homecomings of Company B, and Headquarters and Service Company, 3rd Light Armored Reconnaissance Battalion, Sept. 23 and 24 at the Combat Center's Victory Field.
- Iraqis Claim Foreign Pressure Preventing Syria Probe RFE/RL 02 Oct 2009 -- An Iraqi politician says that Baghdad's efforts to create a tribunal to investigate terrorist attacks in the country are being stymied by the US.
- Sources Claim IMU Militant Leader Yuldash Killed RFE/RL 02 Oct 2009 -- Pakistani officials: Leader of the Islamic Movement of Uzbekistan, Tohir Yuldash, was killed in a late-August missile strike.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Transcript: DoD News Briefing with Adm. Keating from the Pentagon DoD 02 Oct 2009 -- Presenter: Commander, U.S. Pacific Command Adm. Timothy J. Keating
- Army Establishes Program Executive Office Integration to Support Modernization Army News Release 02 Oct 2009 -- The Army Acquisition Executive and Acting Assistant Secretary of the Army for Acquisition, Logistics and Technology, Dean G. Popps, announced last week that the Army has established the Program Executive Office (PEO) Integration to support current and future acquisitions programs
- 1st Marine Expeditionary Brigade officially stands up USMC News 02 Oct 2009 -- The 1st Marine Expeditionary Brigade officially stood-up during a reactivation ceremony held here on Oct 2.
- Navy Establishes Carrier Strike Group 1 Navy NewsStand 02 Oct 2009 -- The Navy formally established Carrier Strike Group 1 in San Diego October 1, 2009.
- UAS career field decisions, ISR organization discussed at summit AFNS 02 Oct 2009 -- Air Force leaders met at an intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance summit to discuss ISR organizational plans.
- Committee discusses status, plans for joint jet pilot training AFNS 02 Oct 2009 -- Members of the Euro-NATO Joint Jet Pilot Training Program Steering Committee finished their week-long meeting Sept. 25 where they discussed the current status and future plans for the program.
- AMC officials blend Guard, Reserve, active-duty units AFNS 02 Oct 2009 -- Air Mobility Command officials continued their total force integration efforts with the stand up of 3 active associate units that now combine active-duty units with their Reserve and Guard counterparts.
- 24th MEU Marines wager on the flip side of COIN training USMC News 02 Oct 2009 -- 24th Marine Expeditionary Unit infantry companies immersed themselves in Middle Eastern culture.
- Airmen return from Africa Partnership Station 2009 support AFNS 02 Oct 2009 -- Airmen from the 621st Contingency Response Wing returned from a 6-month split deployment to West Central Africa in support of Africa Partnership Station 2009.
- Navy's Logistic Specialist "A" School Opens in Mississippi Navy NewsStand 02 Oct 2009 -- Naval Air Station Meridian welcomed 150 Sailors and guests to a ribbon cutting ceremony for the Logistics Specialist (LS) School at Naval Technical Training Center.
- Fung Takes Command at 7th Naval Construction Regiment Navy NewsStand 02 Oct 2009 -- Commander, 7th Naval Construction Regiment held a change of command ceremony aboard Naval Station Newport.
- Cyber security awareness gets focus in October AFNS 02 Oct 2009 -- We've all had the experience: our computer, at work or at home, stops working.
- Navy Moves to Meet Information Age Challenges Navy NewsStand 02 Oct 2009 -- Navy merging its information technology, intelligence and communications operations into one organization to better address Information Age challenges.
- US Military Helping in Four Pacific Disasters VOA 02 Oct 2009 -- US forces in the Pacific have been deployed to help with disaster relief in Indonesia, the Philippines, American Samoa and Guam and neighboring islands.
- Marines, sailors bring aid to Philippines USMC News 02 Oct 2009 -- US military is providing critically needed disaster-relief supplies to mitigate suffering and prevent further loss of life in the wake of Tropical Storm Ketsana.
- McChord Airmen deliver equipment to American Samoa AFNS 02 Oct 2009 -- C-17 from McChord Air Force Base touched down at Pago Pago International Airport bringing 9 FEMA members.
- AFNORTH Airmen support tsunami relief AFNS 02 Oct 2009 -- Air Forces Northern officials stood up a defense support of civil authorities operations center to aid in relief efforts of the tsunami.
- McChord Airmen fly response team to American Samoa AFNS 02 Oct 2009 -- McChord Airmen deployed a US-based FEMA team to American Samoa aboard a C-17 Globemaster III in the wake of a 7.6 magnitude undersea earthquake.
- Command Continues Aid Efforts in Pacific AFPS 02 Oct 2009 -- U.S. Pacific Command continues to help in coordinating humanitarian relief operations in American Samoa, Indonesia and the Philippines.
- Radar Detection Lab Furthers 'Navy's Ability to Serve Nation' Navy NewsStand 02 Oct 2009 -- Naval Facilities Engineering Command Pacific awarded contract for design and construction of an advanced radar detection laboratory at Pacific Missile Range Facility on Kauai.
- ARRA Funded Dormitory Construction at Shaw AFB Navy NewsStand 02 Oct 2009 -- Naval Facilities Engineering Command Southeast awarded CAmerican Recovery and Reinvestment Act contract for construction of a dormitory at Shaw Air Force Base.
- India wants to buy 50 more Su-30 fighters from Russia RIA Novosti 02 Oct 2009 -- India wants to buy another 50 Sukhoi-30MKI multi-role fighters.
- Belarus set to join post-Soviet rapid reaction force RIA Novosti 02 Oct 2009 -- Belarus has completed the procedures necessary to sign documents on joining a post-Soviet regional security bloc's rapid reaction force.
- Bosnia-Herzegovina applies for NATO membership RIA Novosti 02 Oct 2009 -- A delegation from Bosnia-Herzegovina handed in on Friday an official application for a NATO Membership Action Plan (MAP).
- U.S. Department of State Daily Press Briefing US Dept. of State 02 Oct 2009
- Gaggle by Press Secretary Robert Gibbs aboard Air Force One en route Andrews Air Force Base, 10/2/09 The White House 02 Oct 2009
- DoD News: Contracts for October 02, 2009
- Boeing Wideband Networking Waveform, Apache Demonstrate Future Force Interoperability Boeing 02 Oct 2009 -- Two Boeing [NYSE: BA] programs, the Wideband Networking Waveform (WNW) and the AH-64 Apache, participated in a successful integrated capabilities event this summer at the U.S. Army's C4ISR On-The-Move (OTM) Event 09 at Fort Dix, N.J.
- U.S. Air Force Selects Northrop Grumman to Provide Contractor Logistics Support for the KC-10 Extender Northrop Grumman 02 Oct 2009 -- The U.S. Air Force has awarded Northrop Grumman Corporation (NYSE:NOC) a nine-year contract to provide Contractor Logistics Support (CLS) for its fleet of KC-10 Extender refueling tanker aircraft
- Second Northrop Grumman-Built National Security Cutter, Waesche, Completes Successful U.S. Coast Guard Acceptance Trials Northrop Grumman 02 Oct 2009 -- The Northrop Grumman Corporation-built (NYSE:NOC) National Security Cutter Waesche (WMSL 751) completed a successful acceptance trial Thursday after undergoing meticulous testing in the Gulf of Mexico.
- Raytheon Delivers First Ground Soldier System Prototypes Raytheon 02 Oct 2009 -- Raytheon Company (NYSE: RTN) delivered 10 Ground Soldier System (GSS) Increment 1 prototypes Sept. 16, 2009, supporting a significant program milestone in the rapid development of a wearable computer that links the dismounted warfighter to the netted battlefield.
- Raytheon Awarded $73 Million U.S. Army Contract for Excalibur Ia-2 Rounds Raytheon 02 Oct 2009 -- Raytheon Company (NYSE: RTN) received a $73.3 million U.S. Army contract for the production of Excalibur Ia-2 155 mm precision-guided projectile rounds.
- Oshkosh Defense Receives Award to Integrate Camera Systems on M-ATVs Oshkosh 02 Oct 2009 -- Oshkosh Corporation (NYSE:OSK) announced today its Defense Segment received a $33 million award from the U.S. Army Tank-automotive and Armaments Command Life Cycle Management Command (TACOM LCMC) to supply a rear mounted camera system on more than 2,200 MRAP All Terrain Vehicles (M-ATV) to provide improved situational awareness for vehicle occupants.
- DAILY PRESS BRIEFING BY THE OFFICE OF THE SPOKESPERSON FOR THE SECRETARY-GENERAL United Nations 02 Oct 2009
- Hamas hails prisoners for Shalit video deal RIA Novosti 02 Oct 2009 -- Hamas leader Ismail Haniyeh praised the release of Palestinian female prisoners in exchange for a video of an Israeli soldier abducted 3 years ago.
- Israel Receives Videotape of Captured Soldier After Palestinian Prisoner Release VOA 02 Oct 2009 -- Israel has received proof that an Israeli soldier who was captured and held in the Gaza Strip since 2006 is alive.
- Israel trades prisoners for video of captured soldier RIA Novosti 02 Oct 2009 -- Israel began releasing the first of 20 Palestinian female prisoners it has agreed to exchange for a video of an Israeli soldier abducted 3 years ago.
- Fatah, Hamas to sign reconciliation agreement Oct. 22 in Cairo RIA Novosti 02 Oct 2009 -- Egypt has set the signing of a reconciliation pact between the rival Palestinian factions Fatah and Hamas for October 22.
- Human Rights Council defers decision on UN probe into Gaza conflict UN News Centre 02 Oct 2009 -- The Human Rights Council today decided to defer action on a draft resolution concerning the report of the recent United Nations fact-finding mission on the Gaza conflict at the start of this year.
- Russia's Lavrov calls for Caucasus deal on non-use of force RIA Novosti 02 Oct 2009 -- Russian FM Lavrov: Georgia must sign a deal with its former republic of Abkhazia on the non-use of force.
- Russia may track shipping in neutral waters around Abkhazia RIA Novosti 02 Oct 2009 -- Russia could monitor and escort ships in neutral waters heading to Abkhazia to protect them from possible Georgian provocations.
- Russia to oppose U.S. attempts to prevent recognition of Abkhazia RIA Novosti 02 Oct 2009 -- Russia will resist any attempt by Washington to prevent the recognition of Abkhazia by third countries.
- Russian FM Lavrov to discuss Geneva talks in Abkhazia RIA Novosti 02 Oct 2009 -- Russian FM Lavrov is arriving in Abkhazia on a two-day visit to discuss the latest round of Geneva discussions on the situation in the Caucasus and meet with the Russian military.
- Vested interests in Russia stopped Abkhazia recognition - Lukashenko RIA Novosti 02 Oct 2009 -- Belarusian President Lukashenko: Belarus did not recognize South Ossetia and Abkhazia following the August 2008 conflict in the Caucasus due to the actions of certain forces.
- Analysis: The dangers of Sudan's elections IRIN 02 Oct 2009 -- New boycott threat by several political parties in Sudan illustrates how next year’s elections present considerable challenges and could destabilize the country.
- Moscow to host international conference on Sudan October 6-7 RIA Novosti 02 Oct 2009 -- Moscow will host an international conference on Sudan on October 6-7.
- OSCE's Minsk Mediators Meet In Armenia On Karabakh RFE/RL 02 Oct 2009 -- International mediators have met in Yerevan to start a fresh round of talks on the disputed Nagorno-Karabakh region.
- Armenian Leader Defends Turkey Rapprochement RFE/RL 02 Oct 2009 -- Armenian President Serzh Sarkisian: Normalizing relations between Yerevan and Ankara won't thwart greater international recognition of the Armenian genocide or result in Armenian concessions in the Nagorno-Karabakh conflict.
- Chechen troops kill 7 militants in special operation RIA Novosti 02 Oct 2009 -- Seven militants have been killed in the mountains of Chechnya during a special operation lead by President Ramzan Kadyrov.
- Ireland Votes on EU Treaty VOA 02 Oct 2009 -- Irish voters headed to the polls Friday to decide on a referendum on the European Union's Lisbon Treaty.
- Honduras: UN officials sound alarm over crackdown on freedoms UN News Centre 02 Oct 2009 -- Head of the UN agency tasked with upholding the freedom of expression led a chorus of UN voices expressing concern over the suppression of civil liberties in Honduras following a coup d’état.
- Ongoing detention of Myanmar's Suu Kyi a 'blow' to democratic efforts - UN expert UN News Centre 02 Oct 2009 -- Myanmar’s Government has missed an opportunity to prove its commitment to holding inclusive elections by extending the house arrest of pro-democracy leader Aung San Suu Kyi.
- GUINEA: "The barbarity we saw cannot be described" IRIN 02 Oct 2009 -- Guineans strain to find the words to describe the violence they saw on 28 September.
- Top UN envoy welcomes agreement on presidential polls in Somaliland UN News Centre 02 Oct 2009 -- Top UN envoy to Somalia congratulated officials in the self-declared autonomous region of Somaliland in the Horn of Africa nation for striking an agreement to end a stalemate on delayed presidential elections.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|