Mine Warfare Training Center Closes Doors in Ingleside
Story Number: NNS090930-26
Release Date: 9/30/2009 10:52:00 PM
By Fifi Kieschnick, Naval Station Ingleside Public Affairs
INGLESIDE, Texas (NNS) -- The Mine Warfare Training Center (MWTC) in Ingleside, Texas, held a closing ceremony Sept. 29 at Naval Station Ingleside (NSI).
Former MWTC Commanding Officer, retired Capt. Charles Belcher, was the guest speaker at the ceremony.
MWTC has been training Sailors aboard NSI for 14 years, since relocating from Charleston, S.C., in 1995. MWTC develops and delivers the most relevant and effective mine warfare training and education, enabling the fleet to successfully conduct combat operations at sea.
Naval mine warfare training has roots reaching back to December 1940, when Naval Schools, Mine Warfare (NSMW) was established at Yorktown, Va.
In March 1952, Fleet Training Center (FTC) was established in Charleston, S.C., and in January 1959, NSMW moved from Yorktown to Charleston, improving coordination between schools and the fleet. In July 1972, NSMW merged with FTC to become the Fleet and Mine Warfare Training Center (FMWTC) at Charleston.
In October 1995, FMWTC was disestablished and MWTC staff and personnel began arriving at Ingleside. A ribbon-cutting ceremony for Ingleside's new MWTC was held March 20, 1996. The ceremony marked the culmination of the training center's relocation from Charleston and was a step forward for the new "Mine Warfare Center of Excellence."
MWTC is one of the tenant commands aboard NSI that is moving to San Diego as a result of BRAC 2005.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|