30 Afghan Civilians Killed in Roadside Bombing
By VOA News
29 September 2009
The Afghan interior ministry says a passenger bus struck a roadside bomb in southern Afghanistan, killing 30 civilians and wounding at least 39 others.
Officials say the bomb exploded on a highway in Kandahar province early Tuesday. They say the victims included several women and children.
Government officials blame Taliban militants for planting the explosives. The Taliban insurgency relies heavily on roadside bombs and suicide attacks in their fight against foreign forces and Afghan troops.
A U.N. report issued last week said violence in Afghanistan has killed more than 1,500 civilians this year, with more than two-thirds of the deaths resulting from militant attacks.
On Monday, Afghan officials say U.S. Marines and Afghan soldiers killed at least 40 Taliban fighters in a joint operation in western Farah province.
Officials said the strike began Sunday night and continued throughout Monday. No coalition forces or civilians were killed. Six Afghan soldiers were wounded.
Some information for this report was provided by AFP and Reuters.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|