25 September 2009 Military News
- OIF/OEF Casualty Update 25 Sep 2009 [PDF]
- Sept. 24 airpower summary: B-1B protects coalition forces AFNS 25 Sep 2009 -- Coalition airpower integrated with ground forces in Iraq and ISAF troops in Afghanistan during operations.
- Forces Detain Insurgents, Seize Weapons in Iraq AFPS 25 Sep 2009 -- Iraqi troop, aided by U.S. forces, detained suspected insurgents and seized weapons in Iraq.
- IP increase security following Ramadan Army News 25 Sep 2009 -- Following the end of Ramadan, Iraqi police officers in Kirkuk have increased area security to ensure the safety of citizens in their community.
- 15 Iraqi Soldiers Die in Bomb Disposal Accident VOA 25 Sep 2009 -- Iraqi security officials say 15 Iraqi soldiers have been killed while trying to destroy a number of bombs in northern Iraq.
- VMFA-314, MALS-11 retrun from OIF USMC News 25 Sep 2009 -- The "Black Knights" took 12 F/A-18C "Hornets" and logged more than 1,300 flight hours, while conducting about six missions a day.
- Divisions On Way Forward In Afghanistan RFE/RL 25 Sep 2009 -- Today the sound of U.S. soldiers battling Taliban insurgents echo in a remote corner of Afghanistan.
- Tape Attributed to Bin Laden Criticizes Europe Over Afghanistan VOA 25 Sep 2009 -- Message calls on Europeans to end their alliance with the United States and pull their troops out of Afghanistan.
- Five U.S. service personnel killed in Afghanistan RIA Novosti 25 Sep 2009 -- Total of 5 US soldiers have been killed in three separate attacks in southern Afghanistan.
- Vital for Afghan election results to be certified and accepted by all UN News Centre 25 Sep 2009 -- Secretary-General Ban stressed the importance of ensuring the outcome reflects the will of the people.
- Afghanistan Begins Partial Vote Recount VOA 25 Sep 2009 -- Afghan officials recounting sample of the votes from disputed presidential election, in an effort to resolve weeks of uncertainty about the outcome.
- Suspected Drone Strike Kills 10 in Northwest Pakistan VOA 25 Sep 2009 -- Pakistani authorities: Suspected US missile strike killed at least 10 people believed to be militants.
- Zardari Requests More Help for Pakistan's Security, Economy VOA 25 Sep 2009 -- Pakistani President Asif Ali Zardari is urging world leaders to do more to support Pakistan's fight against terrorism.
- Democracy main weapon in Pakistan's struggle against extremism UN News Centre 25 Sep 2009 -- One of the main weapons in Pakistan’s arsenal in its struggle against extremism is democracy.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Transcript: DoD Background Briefing with Senior Defense Officials at the DoD Briefing Room, The Pentagon, Arlington, Va. DoD 25 Sep 2009 -- Presenter: Senior Defense Officials
- DOD officials announce requirement for new aerial tanker competition AFNS 25 Sep 2009 -- The needs of warfighters and value for taxpayers are at the heart of the new draft request.
- Air Force officials roll out search for new aerial tanker AFNS 25 Sep 2009 -- Senior DoD and USAF officials announced the rollout of the KC-X Acquisition Program at a Pentagon.
- Final KC-135E retires at Davis-Monthan AFNS 25 Sep 2009 -- It was a historical day on the flightline here Sept. 23, as the last KC-135E model touched down after its final flight.
- USAG-RC signs memorandum of agreement with ROKA Army News 25 Sep 2009 -- Memorandum outlines the basic agreement and understanding of responsibilities for the defense of USAG RC.
- T-AKE 12 Construction Commences Navy NewsStand 25 Sep 2009 -- Construction began on the future USNS William McLean (T-AKE 12) Sept. 22 at the General Dynamics-NASSCO shipyard in San Diego.
- Virtual aircraft prove their worth to trainers in Europe Army News 25 Sep 2009 -- For the first time in Europe, the U.S. Air Force and the U.S. Army trained with virtual aircraft attacking real targets on the ground in Hohenfels, Germany.
- Gunfighter Flag wraps up at Mountain Home AFB AFNS 25 Sep 2009 -- Gunfighter Flag wrapped up Sept. 24 in what one commander deemed a "grand slam."
- VMFA(AW)-225 experience Pacific theater, return home little wiser USMC News 25 Sep 2009 -- Marine All Weather Fighter Attack Squadron 225, Vikings, finished their 6-month tour and returned to MCAS Miramar.
- BHR Departs San Diego for Deployment Navy NewsStand 25 Sep 2009 -- USS Bonhomme Richard departed Naval Base San Diego Sept. 24, for a regularly scheduled deployment to the Western Pacific and the Middle East.
- USS Stout Completes Deployment, Highlights BMD Capability Navy NewsStand 25 Sep 2009 -- USS Stout returned to Norfolk Va., earlier this month, following a six-month deployment to the 6th Fleet Area of Operations.
- USS Cole, USS Hall, USS Ramage Depart for Joint Warrior 09 Navy NewsStand 25 Sep 2009 -- The guided missile frigate USS John L. Hall (FFG 32), and guided missile destroyers USS Ramage (DDG 61) and USS Cole (DDG 67), led by Commander, Destroyer Squadron 24, departed Naval Station Norfolk Sept. 23 to participate in Exercise Joint Warrior 2009.
- Bombers complete long-range exercise with Australia AFNS 25 Sep 2009 -- Three B-52 Stratofortresses stationed completed 13-hour flights to an Australian training range as part of Exercise Green Lightning
- McChord Airmen head for 'the ice' as Operation Deep Freeze season kicks off AFNS 25 Sep 2009 -- McChord AFB Airmen left in a C-17 loaded with more than 90,000 pounds of cargo destined for Antarctica.
- NMC Establishes New Detachment at NAS Sigonella Navy NewsStand 25 Sep 2009 -- Navy Munitions Command (NMC) unveiled a new sign and held a ribbon cutting ceremony Sept. 23 for a new detachment being established Oct. 1 at Naval Air Station Sigonella.
- Marines break sweat to upgrade Bridgeport airfield USMC News 25 Sep 2009 -- Marines with Marine Wing Support Squadron 373 in the process of upgrading the expeditionary airfield here to help meet the Corps' ever-changing logistical needs.
- Yuma air station UAS runway completed USMC News 25 Sep 2009 -- Marine Wing Support Squadron 374 finished constructing a new UAS runway at the Chocolate Mountain Aerial Gunnery Range.
- USACE Pittsburgh District uses G-20 interruption as training opportunity Army News 25 Sep 2009 -- As the world descended on Pittsburgh for the G-20 Economic Summit Sept. 24-25, Pittsburgh District took action.
- EODMU8 Conducts Important Training with Ukrainian Navy Navy NewsStand 25 Sep 2009 -- Explosive Ordnance Disposal Mobile Unit Eight conducted theater security cooperation training using side scan sonar equipment with the Ukrainian Navy.
- One shot, one kill; Dutch snipers hone skills at Hawthorne USMC News 25 Sep 2009 -- Royal Dutch Marines with Sniper Team, 24th Company, 2nd Battalion took advantage of the elevation atop Rocket Mountain to conduct high-angle, live-fire exercises.
- Navy Transfers UNREP Oiler to Chilean Navy Navy NewsStand 25 Sep 2009 -- Ex-Andrew J. Higgins (T-AO 190) departed Suisun Bay, Calif., Sept. 24 and is in tow to Atlantic Marine Alabama shipyard in Mobile, Ala., where the ship will undergo approximately 3 months of reactivation.
- Obama Missile-Defense U-Turn Rocks Central Europe RFE/RL 25 Sep 2009 -- US President Obama's decision to revise long-standing US missile-defense plans hit Central Europe like a bombshell.
- Poland waiting for new U.S. missile-defense proposals RIA Novosti 25 Sep 2009 -- Polish government waiting for official proposal from US on a new missile defense plan for the country.
- Revision of U.S. missile shield plans not "pro-Russian" - Medvedev RIA Novosti 25 Sep 2009 -- Revision of US missile shield plans was not made as a concession to Russia.
- Former Czech Foreign Minister Talks About Missile Defense, Belarus, And Russia RFE/RL 25 Sep 2009 -- Wide-ranging interview with former Czech Foreign Minister and current Senator Schwarzenberg.
- Background Briefing By Senior Administration Officials On Iranian Nuclear Facility The White House 25 Sep 2009
- VMFA-314 takes flight for the last time at Al Asad (Al Asad) MNF-I 25 Sep 2009-- Before dawn, Marine Fighter Attack Squadron 314 had already suited up for the day's mission
- U.S. Department of State Daily Press Briefing US Dept. of State 25 Sep 2009
- DoD News: Contracts for September 25, 2009
- Boeing Statement on Release of KC-X Tanker Draft Request for Proposal Boeing 25 Sep 2009 -- The Boeing Company today received the Draft Request for Proposal document for the KC-X Tanker competition from the U.S. Air Force, and released the following statement:
- U.S. Navy Awards General Dynamics $10 Million for Common Missile Compartment Work General Dynamics 25 Sep 2009 -- The U.S Navy has awarded General Dynamics Electric Boat a $9.7 million contract modification for Common Missile Compartment prototype material procurement, manufacture and test. Electric Boat is a wholly owned subsidiary of General Dynamics (NYSE: GD).
- General Dynamics Awarded $7 Million for Saudi Tank Work General Dynamics 25 Sep 2009 -- General Dynamics Land Systems has been awarded a $7 million contract to continue to design the new Saudi M1A2 (M1A2S) Abrams tank for the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.
- General Dynamics Awarded $24 Million to Provide Remote Weapon Systems That Protect Tank Commanders General Dynamics 25 Sep 2009 -- General Dynamics Land Systems has been awarded a $24 million contract to supply Commanders Remote Operated Weapons Stations, version two, (CROWS II) kits to the U.S. Army TACOM Lifecycle Management Command. General Dynamics Land Systems is a business unit of General Dynamics (NYSE: GD).
- Statement From Northrop Grumman On Receipt of Tanker Draft RFP Northrop Grumman 25 Sep 2009 -- The following is a statement from Randy Belote, Vice President of Strategic Communications for Northrop Grumman Corporation (NYSE:NOC), concerning today's release of a draft Request For Proposals (RFP) for the U.S. Air Force aerial refueling tanker replacement program
- Space Tracking and Surveillance System Satellites Built by Northrop Grumman Successfully Launched Northrop Grumman 25 Sep 2009 -- A critical space-based capability was added to America's ballistic missile defenses Sept. 25 when two U.S. Missile Defense Agency (MDA) Space Tracking and Surveillance System (STSS) Demonstrator satellites built by Northrop Grumman Corporation (NYSE:NOC) were launched aboard a Delta II rocket.
- Pratt & Whitney Rocketdyne's RS-27A Engine Boosts Missile Defense Demonstration Satellites Pratt & Whitney 25 Sep 2009 -- Pratt & Whitney Rocketdyne, a United Technologies Corp. (NYSE: UTX) company, helped boost two tandem Space Tracking and Surveillance System (STSS) demonstrator satellites from Cape Canaveral Air Force Station, Fla., today.
- Northrop Grumman Welcomes Milestone Achievements in NATO Alliance Ground Surveillance Program Northrop Grumman 25 Sep 2009 -- Northrop Grumman Corporation (NYSE:NOC) welcomes the signing this week of the Program Memorandum of Understanding for the NATO Alliance Ground Surveillance (AGS) program by the 15 participating nations
- Latest milestone achieved in Nimrod MRA4 synthetic training requirement Thales 25 Sep 2009 -- Thales UK and BAE Systems have today marked a significant milestone in the provision of simulators and other training equipment for the Royal Air Force’s (RAF’s) Nimrod MRA4 maritime reconnaissance and attack aircraft, with the completion of the upgrade of the aircrew synthetic training aids (ASTA) devices to a standard ready for training.
- Daily Press Briefing by the Offices of the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General and the Spokesperson for the General Assembly President United Nations 25 Sep 2009
- Israel must be pressured on Middle East peace process, Lebanon tells UN debate UN News Centre 25 Sep 2009 -- Lebanon’s President: International community must step up pressure on Israel to fulfil its obligations to the Middle East peace process.
- Kinshasa Government Frowns on Blackmail, Says Congo Minister VOA 25 Sep 2009 -- Official of the DRC government is warning various armed groups that the administration will not kowtow to blackmail.
- Former Nigerian Militants Get Second Chance VOA 25 Sep 2009 -- Three hundred ex-militants in Nigeria's Niger Delta are beginning new lives, after receiving government training for the past six months.
- At least 50 killed in military clash in Yemen RIA Novosti 25 Sep 2009 -- At least 50 people died in a fierce fighting between government troops and Shiite militants in Saada Province.
- Saakashvili tells UN of 'Berlin wall' in Georgia RIA Novosti 25 Sep 2009 -- Georgian President Saakashvili has told the UN General Assembly a "Berlin wall" had divided his country into 2 parts.
- Russia for good relations with Georgia without Saakashvili - Medvedev RIA Novosti 25 Sep 2009 -- Russian President Medvedev: Moscow will build good and friendly relations with Georgia.
- Lawmakers from breakaway republics to meet on Sept. 29 RIA Novosti 25 Sep 2009 -- Lawmakers from Georgia's two former republics will meet with counterparts from Moldova's breakaway Transdnestr next Tuesday in Abkhazia.
- At UN, Serbian leader places faith in legal solution to Kosovo issue UN News Centre 25 Sep 2009 -- Serbia seeking a legal opinion on the legally of Kosovo's declaration of independence last year.
- Côte d'Ivoire thanks UN for restoration of peace UN News Centre 25 Sep 2009 -- UN played a major role in helping Côte d'Ivoire end its civil war and move along the path to democratic elections.
- Trial of Congolese militia leader can proceed, International Criminal Court rules UN News Centre 25 Sep 2009 -- ICC can try Congolese militia commander Germain Katanga on war crimes charges, its appeal chamber ruled today.
- Nepal: UN rights official calls for accountability for Maoist abuses UN News Centre 25 Sep 2009 -- Top UN human rights official in Nepal has called on the Maoist leadership to fully cooperate with ongoing investigations into abuses alleged to have been committed by its cadres.
- Zimbabwe's Mugabe Criticizes Sanctions Against his Country VOA 25 Sep 2009 -- Debate is continuing for a third day at the UN General Assembly in New York City, with more than 20 world leaders scheduled to speak.
- At UN, Zimbabwe's leader blasts 'illegal' sanctions against his country UN News Centre 25 Sep 2009 -- President Robert Mugabe of Zimbabwe strongly condemned the “illegal” sanctions imposed by the US and the EU against his country.
- Chavez says UN smells more of hope than sulfur RIA Novosti 25 Sep 2009 -- In an hour-long speech at the UN Venezuelan leader Hugo Chavez said that the "smell of sulfur" had been replaced by "hope" in a sign of approval for US President Barack Obama's policies.
- UN General Assembly Debate Enters Third Day VOA 25 Sep 2009 -- Debate will continue for a third day Friday at the United Nations General Assembly in New York City, with more than 20 world leaders scheduled to speak.
- UN Security Council to Honduran Authorities: Back off Brazilian Embassy VOA 25 Sep 2009 -- UN Security Council held an emergency meeting on the situation in the Brazilian Embassy in Honduras, where ousted Honduran President Zelaya has been sheltering.
- Security of Brazilian Embassy in Honduras must be ensured - Security Council UN News Centre 25 Sep 2009 -- Security Council stressed the need to ensure the security of the Brazilian Embassy in Tegucigalpa.
- Castro warns of chaos if international forces sent to Honduras RIA Novosti 25 Sep 2009 -- Former Cuban leader Fidel Castro warned that the deployment of international security forces in Honduras embroiled in a political crisis, would wreak chaos across Latin America.
- Ousted President Holds Talks with Interim Honduras Government VOA 25 Sep 2009 -- Deposed Honduran President Zelaya has held talks with Honduras' interim government but no progress was made.
- UN Security Council Meets on Honduras Crisis VOA 25 Sep 2009 -- UN Security Council is meeting on the political crisis in Honduras, where ousted President Zelaya is still taking refuge in the Brazilian Embassy to avoid arrest.
- 2 Years Later, Burmese Recall Their Saffron Revolution VOA 25 Sep 2009 -- At the end of September two years ago, Burma's military government ordered troops to crush pro-democracy demonstrations led by Buddhist monks.
- Developing Countries to Get Swine Flu Vaccine VOA 25 Sep 2009 -- The World Health Organization is working on a scheme to make H1N1 Swine Flu vaccines available to poor countries.
- H1N1 vaccine may now cover more people, but still inadequate, UN warns UN News Centre 25 Sep 2009 -- Global production capacity for H1N1 flu vaccines now stand at 3 billion doses per year.
- Deterioration in Russian-Ukrainian ties not 'fatal' - Medvedev RIA Novosti 25 Sep 2009 -- Russian President Medvedev: There has been a deterioration in Russian-Ukrainian relations, but does not want to exaggerate the differences.
- Chechen leader names Russian MP as successor RIA Novosti 25 Sep 2009 -- Chechen President Ramzan Kadyrov said he has chosen a member of Russia's lower house of parliament Adam Delimkhanov as his potential successor.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|