20 September 2009 Military News
- With Bucca detention closure, U.S. reaffirms commitment to Security Agreement (Bucca) MNF-I 20 Sep 2009-- With the closure of the Camp Bucca theater internment facility on Sept. 17, the Task Force 134 commanding general said the closure reaffirms the U.S. commitment to the Security Agreement
- Afghanistan Strategy Must Focus on al-Qaida, Obama Says AFPS 20 Sep 2009 -- Fight in Afghanistan must be narrowed to its original intent of stamping out al-Qaida and hunting down Osama bin Laden.
- Obama: No Snap Decisions on Afghanistan VOA 20 Sep 2009 -- US President has no deadline for withdrawing American troops from Afghanistan, but will not further expand US operations without strategy.
- Captured Pakistan Taliban Commander Dies in Jail VOA 20 Sep 2009 -- The Pakistani military says a Taliban commander known for brutality has died in custody from wounds suffered during his capture.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Russia, U.S. likely to agree on arms reduction deal by yearend RIA Novosti 20 Sep 2009 -- Russian President Medvedev: Chances to reach agreements with the US "high enough."
- Lukashenko cautious over U.S. move on missile shield in Europe RIA Novosti 20 Sep 2009 -- Belarus President Lukashenko: Too early to draw any conclusions regarding US statement.
- U.S. missile defense reversal no concession to Russia - Gates RIA Novosti 20 Sep 2009 -- Gates: US President's proposed shift in America's missile-defense plans in Europe is no concession to Russia.
- US Defense Chief Defends New Missile Program VOA 20 Sep 2009 -- US Defense Secretary Gates is dismissing criticism of a new missile-defense plan for Europe.
- U.S. missile defense plan change made Russia "less paranoid" - Obama RIA Novosti 20 Sep 2009 -- US President Obama praised Russia's readiness for deeper missile defense cooperation.
- Russian President Says Israel Not Planning to Strike Iran VOA 20 Sep 2009 -- Russian President Dmitri Medvedev says Israeli officials have assured him that they are not planning a military strike on Iran.
- Israel won't strike Iran - Russia's Medvedev RIA Novosti 20 Sep 2009 -- Israel will not strike Iran, Russian President Dmitry Medvedev said.
- Obama set to meet with Israeli, Palestinian leaders on Sep. 22 RIA Novosti 20 Sep 2009 -- President of the US will meet with Israeli and Palestinian leaders in New York.
- Medvedev confirms Israeli PM made secret visit to Russia RIA Novosti 20 Sep 2009 -- Russian President Medvedev has confirmed Israeli PM Netanyahu made a secret visit to Moscow.
- Sudan Reclaims Rebel-controlled Area in North Darfur VOA 20 Sep 2009 -- The Sudanese army says it has recaptured an area once controlled by rebels in the North Darfur province.
- Russia to continue its support for South Ossetia - Medvedev RIA Novosti 20 Sep 2009 -- Russia will continue to give its full support to the former Georgian republic of South Ossetia.
- Chechen leader urges Muslims to unite against Wahhabism RIA Novosti 20 Sep 2009 -- President of the Russian North Caucasus republic of Chechnya urged all Muslims to unite against Wahhabism.
- Muslim cleric killed in assassination attempt in N. Caucasus RIA Novosti 20 Sep 2009 -- A Muslim cleric has died of wounds after an assassination attempt on his life in Karachayevo-Circassia.
- Thai Authorities Allow Rally a Day After Violent Protests VOA 20 Sep 2009 -- Thai authorities allowed protesters to rally peacefully at a disputed temple site on the border with Cambodia, a day after violent clashes that injured about 20 people.
- Congo Transfers Rwandan Genocide Suspect VOA 20 Sep 2009 -- The Democratic Republic of Congo has transferred a key Rwandan suspect to the international tribunal responsible for trying the main perpetrators of Rwanda's 1994 genocide.
- Gabon Court Considers Electoral Challenge VOA 20 Sep 2009 -- Gabon's Constitutional Court is considering a legal challenge to last month's presidential election.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|