27 March 2009 Military News
- OIF/OEF Casualty Update 27 Mar 2009 [PDF]
- DoD News: DoD Identifies Army Casualty
- Remarks by the President on a New Strategy for Afghanistan and Pakistan The White House 27 Mar 2009.
- Press Briefing by Bruce Riedel, Ambassador Richard Holbrooke, and Michelle Flournoy on the New Strategy for Afghanistan and Pakistan The White House 27 Mar 2009.
- Trainers 'Critical' to Obama's New Afghan-Pakistan Plan, Mullen Says AFPS 27 Mar 2009 -- Deployment of thousands of trainers a key component of President Barack Obama’s new Afghanistan-Pakistan strategy.
- New Afghan Approach More Likely to Succeed, Gates Says AFPS 27 Mar 2009 -- Gates: New strategy more likely to succeed because it is a more comprehensive approach.
- Mullen Praises Regional Approach of Afghan-Pakistan Strategy Review AFPS 27 Mar 2009 -- A great strength of the Afghanistan-Pakistan policy review President Barack Obama unveiled today is its regional approach, the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff said today.
- Afghan-Pakistan Strategy Emphasizes Need for Counter-insurgency Fight AFPS 27 Mar 2009 -- Afghanistan-Pakistan interagency policy review stresses the need for US to step up counter-insurgency fight.
- Experts Say Plan to Seperate Moderate Afghan Taliban from Hardliners Could Work VOA 27 Mar 2009 -- One element of new Afghan aimed at reaching out to moderate Taliban insurgents.
- Pakistani, Afghan Leaders Welcome Obama War Strategy VOA 27 Mar 2009 -- Pakistani and Afghan political leaders have welcomed the Obama administration's new strategy for stabilizing both countries.
- President Unveils Afghan-Pakistan Strategy Review AFPS 27 Mar 2009 -- President Obama announced the outcome of Afghanistan-Pakistan policy review.
- Obama Unveils New Strategy To Defeat Al-Qaeda, Extremism In South Asia RFE/RL 27 Mar 2009 -- US President Obama unveiled fresh strategy for defeating extremists in Pakistan and Afghanistan.
- Obama Unveils Strategy for Afghanistan, Pakistan VOA 27 Mar 2009 -- President Obama has announced his plan to send about 4,000 more U.S. troops to Afghanistan and increase diplomacy with Pakistan.
- Obama Announces New Strategy for Afghanistan, Pakistan VOA 27 Mar 2009 -- US President Obama announced new strategy that includes sending more troops and emphasis on regional diplomacy.
- South Asia Expert Sees Obama 'Redefining The War On Terror' RFE/RL 27 Mar 2009 -- Ahmed Rashid spoke with RFE/RL about US President Obama's new strategy for Afghanistan and the region.
- US to 'Disrupt, Dismantle, and Destroy' Al Qaida VOA 27 Mar 2009 -- US officials: New strategy for Afghanistan and Pakistan will increase the committment to "disrupt, dismantle and destroy" al-Qaida.
- March 24 airpower summary AFNS 27 Mar 2009 -- Coalition airpower integrated with coalition ground forces in Iraq and the ISAF in Afghanistan during operations.
- March 25 airpower summary: B-1B protects coalition forces AFNS 27 Mar 2009 -- Coalition airpower integrated with coalition ground forces in Iraq and the ISAF in Afghanistan during operations.
- March 26 airpower summary: F-16s provide cover AFNS 27 Mar 2009 -- Coalition airpower integrated with coalition ground forces in Iraq and the ISAF in Afghanistan during operations.
- 1-8 Cav Soldiers take on new missions Army News 27 Mar 2009 -- Handing out the monthly paychecks to the Sons of Iraq may not be what infantryman and tankers are trained to do, but they do it with surprising speed and precision -- large lines of waiting Iraqis are processed quickly and receive their payment.
- U.S. military make last payment to Sons of Iraq Army News 27 Mar 2009
- "Red Dragons" shake up FOB Warrior while calibrating Paladins Army News 27 Mar 2009 -- The concussion rattles the chest as flames erupt from the barrel of the M109A6 self-propelled 155MM Howitzer, also known as a Paladin. The blasts could be heard around post, and it shook the nearby buildings.
- Airmen provide show of force AFNS 27 Mar 2009 -- The use of show of force is intended to warn or intimidate an opponent and to demonstrate capability or the will to act if provoked.
- Imam Killed in Restive Iraqi Town VOA 27 Mar 2009 -- Iraqi security officials: Unidentified gunmen killed a Sunni Muslim cleric and wounded his son in a town rocked by a suicide bombing earlier this week.
- Growing Iraqi Navy Crucial for Economic, National Security AFPS 27 Mar 2009 -- Defense of resources is critical to Iraqi national security, a coalition naval advisor said.
- Pentagon: Pakistani Intelligence Still Helps al-Qaida, US Aid Contingent on Change VOA 27 Mar 2009 -- The top U.S. military officer says there are indications Pakistan's intelligence service is still helping al-Qaida and Taliban militants in the country's tribal areas, along the Afghan border, and he says that must change.
- Kandahar joint sustainment operations center opens for business Army News 27 Mar 2009 -- The 143d Expeditionary Sustainment Command held a ribbon-cutting ceremony March 16 to officially open the new Joint Sustainment Operations Center at the 143d's Joint Sustainment Command Headquarters here at Kandahar Air Field, Afghanistan.
- Terrorism, drugs and crime thwarting Afghan development, warns Ban UN News Centre 27 Mar 2009 -- Ban: Terrorism, illicit drug trafficking and organized crime are seriously impeding progress in Afghanistan.
- New Afghan Program Supports Community-based Approach to Security AFPS 27 Mar 2009 -- More than 240 Wardak province residents became the first to graduate from the new Afghan Public Protection Force program.
- Forces Target Bomb-Making Taliban in Afghanistan VOA 27 Mar 2009 -- The U.S. military says troops working with Afghan forces killed 11 militants in a night-time raid targeting a Taliban bombmaker.
- Forces Kill 13 Militants, Destroy Weapons in Afghanistan AFPS 27 Mar 2009 -- Afghan and coalition forces killed 13 militants, detained one suspected militant and seized weapons in operations in Afghanistan.
- Afghan Authorities Say Thousands Of Rebels Have Joined Peace Process RFE/RL 27 Mar 2009 -- Afghan officials: In the past four years thousands of rebels have surrendered and joined the peace process.
- Spangdahlem Airmen to support Canadian troops AFNS 27 Mar 2009 -- The Canadians are coming to Spangdahlem Air Base.
- Afghan Soldier Reportedly Kills Two Coalition Servicemembers, Wounds One AFPS 27 Mar 2009 -- An Afghan National Army soldier reportedly killed two coalition servicemembers and wounded one.
- Russian FM Says Moscow Ready for More Cooperation on Afghanistan VOA 27 Mar 2009 -- Russian FM Lavrov again stressed his country's readiness for expanding international cooperation on Afghanistan.
- Moscow hosts conference on Afghanistan RIA Novosti 27 Mar 2009 -- President Dmitry Medvedev: Russia is ready to actively contribute to normalization of the situation in Afghanistan.
- Kyrgyzstan says position unchanged on U.S. military presence RIA Novosti 27 Mar 2009 -- Spokesman for Kyrgyzstan's president rejected reports country considering allowing US troops to remain at Manas airbase.
- U.S. Says It Could Still Avert Kyrgyz Air Base Closure RFE/RL 27 Mar 2009 -- US still thinks it could avert the closure of an air base in Kyrgyzstan used to supply troops in Afghanistan.
- 70 confirmed dead in Pakistan's mosque suicide attack IRNA 27 Mar 2009 -- A suicide bomber killed 70 worshippers in a mosque in Pakistan's tribal region.
- Suicide Bomber Destroys Pakistani Mosque, Killing 50 VOA 27 Mar 2009 -- A suicide bomber blew himself up in a packed mosque in northwestern Pakistan, killing at least 50 people and wounding around 70 others.
- Latest Ship Seizures Broaden Counter-Piracy Challenge AFPS 27 Mar 2009 -- Two ship seizures in the Indian Ocean in recent days appear to indicate that pirates have broadened their focus beyond the heavily patrolled Gulf of Aden.
- North Dakota National Guard Soldiers, Airmen work side-by-side with civilians to save Fargo Army News 27 Mar 2009 -- The human sandbag chain in north Fargo on March 26 was evenly represented by civilian and military volunteers.
- Airmen poised to support humanitarian operations in N.D. AFNS 27 Mar 2009 -- Air Mobility Command officials are poised to support humanitarian relief operations in response to North Dakota floods.
- National Guardsmen Respond to States' Weather Catastrophes AFPS 27 Mar 2009 -- Members of National Guards, as well as USNORTHCOM responded to the effects of severe weather that has hit several states.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Updated Professional Development Guide available online AFNS 27 Mar 2009 -- The latest version of the Air Force Professional Development Guide is now available online for all Airmen.
- Pennsylvania Guard teaches 21st TSC Soldiers life-saving skills Army News 27 Mar 2009 -- It might be the difference between life and death. More than 400 Soldiers from the 21st Theater Sustainment Command are scheduled to be certified or recertified Combat Life Savers between March 16 and June 5.
- FOB Courage offers state-of-the-art training for combat medics Army News 27 Mar 2009 -- BUG: the mark does not exist in the description file
- Fort Polk's Multi-Role Bridge Company uses complex techniques to build bridges Army News 27 Mar 2009 -- not just in Iraq. As company commander, it's my job to make sure we are trained to standards across the board -- not just on equipment, but on all of our tasks. It's a bridge -- we are a bridge company -- I'm going to make sure we are trained and able to use it," said Capt. Kevin Lewis, company commander.
- Mass casualty exercise tests Polk's Emergency Operations Center's plans, reaction time, medical response Army News 27 Mar 2009 -- Shortly after 8:30 a.m. March 18, an explosion rocked Fort Polk near the intersection of Louisiana and Alabama avenues, sending a plume of yellow-colored gas drifting across the post
- U.S. Army Warrior Transition Command Army News 27 Mar 2009 -- The Warrior Transition Command (WTC) is a new 1-star command under U.S. Army Medical Command (MEDCOM) that serves as the organizational focal point for the Army's Warrior Care and Transition Program (WCTP).
- Army segues from LOGCAP III to IV Army News 27 Mar 2009 -- With the recent announcement by President Barack Obama downsizing forces in Iraq and increasing in Afghanistan, the Army is adapting its contracted support for troops in overseas contingency operations
- ARCENT town hall meeting informs, paves way forward Army News 27 Mar 2009 -- When Soldiers change duty stations, the Army ensures they know where they are going, where they will live and the services that will be available to them and their Families. Being informed helps quell any fears and anxieties.
- EOD Soldiers instruct engineers on using robots Army News 27 Mar 2009 -- Engineers learned how to maneuver small land robots March 10 and 11 at the 789th Explosive Ordnance Disposal Company headquarters
- Phantom Warriors transition from Key Resolve to Unified Endeavor Army News 27 Mar 2009 -- The III Corps Headquarters concluded Key Resolve, a joint command post exercise with the 3rd Republic of Korea Army at Yongin, South Korea Saturday and will immediately begin transitioning into another command post exercise, Unified Endeavor, Friday at Fort Hood.
- Secretary Robert Gates Interview with Pentagon Channel DoD 27 Mar 2009 -- Presenter: Secretary of Defense Robert M. Gates
- Base personnel on Okinawa train to respond to hazardous material situations USMC News 27 Mar 2009 -- The Marines, dressed in encapsulated suits, uncovered simulated toxic chemicals and biologic waste. Each member knew it was their job to assess and process the potential threats
- Ronald Reagan Strike Group Completes SUSTAINEX Navy NewsStand 27 Mar 2009 -- The crew of USS Ronald Reagan (CVN 76) completed its sustainment exercise (SUSTAINEX) and returned to Naval Air Station North Island, Calif., Mar. 26.
- Navy, Army Hold Emergency Response Exercise Navy NewsStand 27 Mar 2009 -- Naval Station (NAVSTA) Pearl Harbor's Emergency Operations Center Incident Management Team along with the Hawaii Army National Guard's 93rd Civil Support Team (CST) held a chemical, biological, radiological, nuclear and explosive (CBRNE) exercise on historic Ford Island March 25.
- NASA's Orion Capsule Built and Tested at NSWC Carderock Navy NewsStand 27 Mar 2009 -- Naval Surface Warfare Center (NSWC) Carderock Division engineers, along with a NASA test and evaluation team are conducting initial Post-Landing Orion Recovery Test(PORT) operations, March 23-27.
- Reserve Forces Command Reporting for Duty in Norfolk Navy NewsStand 27 Mar 2009 -- Commander, Navy Reserve Forces Command (CNRFC) celebrated moving its headquarters from New Orleans to Norfolk with a ribbon-cutting ceremony for its new location March 24.
- Navy Completes Air and Ballistic Missile Exercise Navy NewsStand 27 Mar 2009 -- Commander, U.S. 3rd Fleet, Vice Adm. Samuel J. Locklear announced the completion of the fleet operational exercise, Stellar Daggers, March 26.
- Alaska Scheduled to Change Homeports Navy NewsStand 27 Mar 2009 -- USS Alaska (SSBN 732), a fleet ballistic submarine assigned to Submarine Group 10, is scheduled to change homeports to Naval Submarine Base Kings Bay, Ga.
- USS Hartford, USS New Orleans Undergo Extensive Assessments Navy NewsStand 27 Mar 2009 -- The U.S. Navy submarine and U.S. amphibious ship that collided in the Strait of Hormuz March 20, have been undergoing extensive engineering and damage assessments since pulling into Bahrain March 21.
- Boxer Dental Team Aids Turkish Shipmates During Counterpiracy Ops Navy NewsStand 27 Mar 2009 -- USS Boxer's (LHD 4) dental team provided care to its Turkish allies from Combined Task Force 151 March 13.
- Robert G. Bradley Visits Casablanca, Gets Busy in the Community Navy NewsStand 27 Mar 2009 -- USS Robert G. Bradley (FFG 49) arrived in Casablanca March 24 for a Theater Security Cooperation (TSC) mission to strengthen the maritime partnership between the U.S. and Morocco.
- VCNO Gives Opening Remarks at NBSE Convention Navy NewsStand 27 Mar 2009 -- Vice Chief of Naval Operations (VCNO) Adm. Patrick M. Walsh spoke at the National Society of Black Engineers (NSBE) during the opening ceremonies of their 35th annual national convention at the Las Vegas Convention Center Wednesday, March 25.
- FISC Logistics Experts Provide Critical Distance Support Services to Deployed Units Navy NewsStand 27 Mar 2009 -- The U.S. Fleet and Industrial Supply Center (FISC) Detachment Marianas provided rapid, efficient logistics support to USS Boxer (LHD 4) Amphibious Ready Group (ARG) in preparation for the ARG's port visit to Naval Base Guam Feb. 5.
- Marines to Test New Expeditionary Vehicle in 2010 AFPS 27 Mar 2009 -- The Marine Corps’ first expeditionary fighting vehicles –- 17-passenger armored vehicles -- are slated to be delivered to the Marine Corps for testing in May 2010, the vehicle’s program manager said.
- Advanced field hospital put to test in Puerto Rico AFNS 27 Mar 2009 -- In Exercise Vigilant Guard, Airmen set up an expeditionary medical system to deal with wounded citizens.
- Air Force officials deliver first C-130 to Polish military AFNS 27 Mar 2009 -- American and Polish airmen delivered the first of five refurbished C-130E Hercules military transport planes and spare parts March 24 to the Polish air force at Powidz Air Base, Poland.
- North Korean Satellite Launch May Violate U.N. Rule, Mullen Says AFPS 27 Mar 2009 -- The chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff today expressed concern over a possible North Korean satellite launch that could violate United Nations sanctions against nuclear testing by the government in Pyongyang.
- Russia-NATO Council should meet in early summer - Russian envoy RIA Novosti 27 Mar 2009 -- Moscow suggests holding a ministerial meeting of the Russia-NATO Council between May 18 and June 6.
- Pakistan seeking membership of SCO regional security group RIA Novosti 27 Mar 2009 -- Pakistani FM: Pakistan is seeking full membership of the Shanghai Cooperation Organization.
- Russia to deploy special Arctic force by 2020 - Security Council RIA Novosti 27 Mar 2009 -- Russia will create by 2020 a group of forces to protect its political and economic interests in the Arctic.
- Russian warships to sail to Horn of Africa on March 29 RIA Novosti 27 Mar 2009 -- A task force from Russia's Pacific Fleet will leave Vladivostok for the Gulf of Aden to take part in ongoing anti-piracy operations.
- Iraqi Army Soldiers prepare to field M1A1 main battle tank Army News 27 Mar 2009 -- The Iraqi Army continued on its path toward a more professional and capable Army when IA armor students fired their first main gun shots while training on the U.S. Army's main battle tank, the M1A1 Abrams at the Besmaya Combat Training Center located east of Baghdad, March 21.
- Briefing by White House Press Secretary Robert Gibbs, 3-27-09 The White House 27 Mar 2009
- DoD News: Contracts for March 27, 2009
- Boeing Delivers Training Enhancements to F-15E Mission Training Centers Boeing 27 Mar 2009 -- Boeing [NYSE: BA] in February delivered its F-15E Suite 5 upgrade to the U.S. Air Force's F-15E Mission Training Centers (MTC) at Mountain Home Air Force Base (AFB), Idaho; Seymour Johnson AFB, N.C.; and Royal AFB Lakenheath in the United Kingdom.
- EADS Defence & Security wins NATO DCIS contract award EADS 27 Mar 2009 -- NATO has awarded to EADS Defence & Security (DS) the contract for the supply of the new NATO Deployable Communication and Information System according to the operational requirements of the NATO Response Force (NRF).
- Raytheon Standard Missile-2 Demonstrates Sea-Based Terminal, Fleet Protection Raytheon 27 Mar 2009 -- A Raytheon Company Standard Missile-2 Block IV missile intercepted and destroyed a ballistic missile target at the U.S. Naval Air Warfare Center Weapons Division
- DAILY PRESS BRIEFING BY THE OFFICE OF THE SPOKESPERSON FOR THE SECRETARY-GENERAL United Nations 27 Mar 2009
- EU threatens to stall upgrading Israel ties over peace process IRNA 27 Mar 2009 -- EU has made clear it would not support boosting bilateral ties, if Tel Aviv is no longer committed to peace process.
- Russia may soon end anti-terrorist operation in Chechnya RIA Novosti 27 Mar 2009 -- Russian President Dmitry Medvedev ordered on Friday the Federal Security Service (FSB) chief to consider formally ending the counter-terrorist operation in Chechnya.
- Thousands of Somalis still fleeing to Kenya, reports UN agency UN News Centre 27 Mar 2009 -- Despite recent elections and the establishment of new government in their homeland, thousands of Somalis are continuing to flee to north-eastern Kenya, the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) reported today.
- Colombian refugees begin registering in Ecuador under UN-backed project UN News Centre 27 Mar 2009 -- Some 50,000 Colombians who have fled insecurity in their homeland and have settled in northern Ecuador will be able to register themselves under a new programme being carried out by the Government with the help of the UN High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR).
- Top UN envoy shocked by ‘cowardly’ attack against Somali minister UN News Centre 27 Mar 2009 -- The United Nations envoy to Somalia today strongly condemned the deadly roadside bomb blast which wounded the country’s Interior Minister and killed one of his assistants in the capital, Mogadishu.
- Tens of thousands more flee armed groups in eastern DR Congo, UN agency reports UN News Centre 27 Mar 2009 -- UN refugee agency voiced serious concern over the plight of thousands of civilians who have fled to escape attacks by the many armed groups operating in DRC.
- Philippine Government Ready to Withdraw from Rebel Area VOA 27 Mar 2009 -- Philippines ready to withdraw some forces deployed near Abu Sayyaf hideout to facilitate release of Red Cross workers.
- Timor Leste: UN-trained national police to take up their beats UN News Centre 27 Mar 2009 -- First areas of Timor-Leste to be policed by national squadrons have been chosen.
- African Veterans Help Demobilize Liberian Fighters VOA 27 Mar 2009 -- African military veterans are in Liberia for a program to help the government meet the needs of former fighters from the country's long civil war.
- Is Obama Warming to a Permanent U.N. Security Council Seat for Africa? VOA 27 Mar 2009 -- Will Africa finally get a permanent seat on the U.N. Security Council during the Obama administration?
- EU Set To Gamble On Belarus Invite To 'Partnership' Summit RFE/RL 27 Mar 2009 -- A tentative consensus appeared to be emerging to invite Belarusian President Alyaksandr Lukashenka to an upcoming launch summit of the Eastern Partnership.
- Burjanadze's Husband Becomes Focus Of Georgia Political Intrigue RFE/RL 27 Mar 2009 -- Georgia's mounting political drama has intensified once again with the broadcast of potentially incriminating photographs of the husband of former parliament speaker and opposition leader Nino Burjanadze.
- Somali President Returns to Mogadishu VOA 27 Mar 2009 -- Somali President Sheikh Ahmed expected to arrive in the capital, Mogadishu from holding meetings with Tripoli about strengthening bilateral ties.
- UN backs dialogue as only means to stabilize Madagascar UN News Centre 27 Mar 2009 -- The United Nations today reiterated its belief that inclusive talks are the only means to bring about a smooth transition in Madagascar, which saw the resignation of President Marc Ravalomanana earlier this month.
- Malagasies Fear Deeper Political Crisis After Ravalomanana Supporters' Ultimatum Expires Friday VOA 27 Mar 2009 -- Malagasies are expressing fear that ongoing political tensions in the country could spiral into a full-scale civil war.
- Israel accuses UK of reneging on war crimes law IRNA 27 Mar 2009 -- Israel was reported to be accusing the British government of reneging on its promise to change a law that allows private citizens to obtain arrest warrants for war criminals.
- Thai PM Rejects Opposition Calls to Resign VOA 27 Mar 2009 -- Thai Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva has rejected calls for the government to resign, as rallies against his administration moved into their second day.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|