21 March 2009 Military News
- Department of State Holds Joint Exercise with COB Adder Commands Army News 21 Mar 2009 -- On Saturday, Feb. 28, the Tallil, Iraq, Regional Security Office, an element of the U.S. Department of State, conducted a Joint Training Exercise with Department of Defense personnel on Contingency Operating Base Adder
- U.S. Military Leaders of Northern Iraq Gather for Commander Conference Army News 21 Mar 2009 -- Task Force Lightning leadership hosted a two-day Commander's Conference for the leaders of the many brigades supporting the U.S. Army in Northern Iraq at Contingency Operating Base Speicher, near Tikrit, Iraq, March 12
- U.S. Instructors Train Iraqi Prison Guards Before Detainee Handover RFE/RL 21 Mar 2009 -- American instructors are training Iraqis to be prison guards so that they are prepared for the handover of detainees.
- Taliban Blamed For Attacks In Afghanistan's North, West RFE/RL 21 Mar 2009 -- Afghanistan has seen a series of attacks and clashes in the normally stable regions near its borders with Turkmenistan and Iran.
- Separate Attacks Kill Seven Civilians And Policeman In Afghanistan RFE/RL 21 Mar 2009 -- A suicide car bomb attack killed 5 civilians and a policeman at a checkpoint in the eastern Afghan province of Nangarhar.
- Eisenhower Launches OEF Sorties Navy NewsStand 21 Mar 2009 -- The Eisenhower Carrier Strike Group launched its first sorties in support of Operation Enduring Freedom today, and assumed duties as Commander, Task Force (CTF) 50.
- Tajikistan To Receive US Funds For Border Security RFE/RL 21 Mar 2009 -- US Defense Department has given $10 million to Tajik authorities to improve security along Tajikistan's borders with Afghanistan.
- Suspected Pirates Apprehended, Released in the Gulf of Aden Navy NewsStand 21 Mar 2009 -- The guided-missile cruiser USS Gettysburg (CG 64) apprehended six suspected pirates in the Gulf of Aden MArch 20 after responding to a distress call from two nearby merchant vessels.
Defense Policy / Programs
- USS Hartford and USS New Orleans Arrive In Port Bahrain Navy NewsStand 21 Mar 2009 -- The U.S. Navy submarine and U.S. amphibious ship that collided in the Strait of Hormuz March 20, arrived in port Bahrain March 21.
- Vella Gulf Wins 2008 Unit Tactics Award Navy NewsStand 21 Mar 2009 -- The guided-missile cruiser USS Vella Gulf (CG 72) was awarded the 2008 Unit Tactics Award March 13.
- Indian Defence sector safe from global recession IRNA 21 Mar 2009 -- In a time of financial meltdown, when all economies are feeling the heat of recession, the Indian defence sector is well guarded and safe from the repercussions of the global slump
- 33 Tamil Tigers killed in Sri Lanka: Army IRNA 21 Mar 2009 -- Fierce clashes between the Tamil Tigers and government troops, who are seeking to dislodge the rebels from its last stronghold in embattled northeastern Sri Lanka, killed at least 33 guerrillas
- Israeli Police Block Palestinian Gatherings VOA 21 Mar 2009 -- Israeli police have stopped a series of Palestinian gatherings that are part of celebrations to designate Jerusalem as the 2009 "Capital of Arab culture."
- At Least Four Dead In Latest Daghestan Clash RFE/RL 21 Mar 2009 -- At least 4 militants died overnight in Daghestan as clashes between government forces and rebels took the number of dead to 20 in 3 days.
- UN Launches Probe of Secret Detention Sites VOA 21 Mar 2009 -- U.N. human rights investigators are launching a year-long global investigation into secret places of detention. They note the use of such facilities has increased since the global war on terror was declared after the September 11, 2001 terror attacks in the United States.
- Madagascar Swears in New President VOA 21 Mar 2009 -- The new president of Madagascar, Andry Rajoelina, has been sworn in at a ceremony shunned by the international community.
- Iran's Supreme Leader Says Obama Address Offers No Real Change RFE/RL 21 Mar 2009 -- Iran's Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei pledged that Tehran would respond to any real policy shift.
- Iran's Supreme Leader Dismisses Obama's Appeal VOA 21 Mar 2009 -- Iran's supreme leader is dismissing calls from U.S. President Barack Obama for a "new beginning" in relations between the two countries.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|