28 February 2009 Military News
- DoD News: DoD Identifies Army Casualty
- Feb. 27 airpower summary: B-1B destroys enemy narcotics facility AFNS 28 Feb 2009 -- Coalition airpower integrated with coalition ground forces in Iraq and the International Security Assistance Force in Afghanistan during operations Feb. 27, according to Combined Air and Space Operations Center officials here.
- Karzai Election Deal Further Muddies Afghan Political Waters RFE/RL 28 Feb 2009 -- Afghan President Hamid Karzai's office has announced broad consensus on a deal that calls for a presidential election by late April
- Afghan Officials Caution Against Scale Back of U.S. Effort VOA 28 Feb 2009 -- Top Afghan officials say now is not the time for the United States to lower its expectations or dramatically change its mission for Afghanistan.
- Afghan President Calls for Earlier Vote VOA 28 Feb 2009 -- Afghan President Hamid Karzai is calling for presidential elections to be held four months earlier than an election date set by the country's Independent Election Commission.
- Pakistani General: Militants Defeated in Key Border Area VOA 28 Feb 2009 -- A Pakistani general says troops have defeated Taliban militants in a key border area which insurgents have used as a gateway into Afghanistan.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Obama Cites Responsibility to ‘Get It Right’ in Iraq, Afghanistan AFPS 28 Feb 2009 -- President Barack Obama called decisions to send troops to Iraq and Afghanistan “the most important, most sobering” he makes, and said in a Pentagon Channel interview aired today his biggest responsibility to the troops is to ensure he “gets it right.”
- Iraqi Leaders Applaud US Pullout Plan VOA 28 Feb 2009 -- Iraqi leaders are welcoming U.S. plans to pull American combat troops out of Iraq by the end of August 2010.
- 3d ESC hosts first human resources conference in Iraq Army News 28 Feb 2009 -- The 3d Sustainment Command (Expeditionary), G1 human resources staff section hosted the first human resources conference for its subordinate brigades' human resources professionals here, Feb. 12.
- Finding the aim point: mission of the TRADOC CG Army News 28 Feb 2009 -- As he addressed the Association of the United States Army Winter Symposium here, Gen. Martin Dempsey, commanding general of the U.S. Army Training and Doctrine Command, talked with the group about what TRADOC faces.
- Soldiers train and prepare for Sustainer Challenge Army News 28 Feb 2009 -- The 3d Sustainment Command (Expeditionary) is scheduled to host a Sustainer Challenge here March 18-19.
- Soldiers and Airmen build ship-like guard shack to bring the sea life to land Army News 28 Feb 2009 -- Soldiers and Sailors of Alpha Battery 2nd Battalion, Air Defense Artillery Regiment, Joint Intercept Battery, Counter-Rocket, Artillery, and Mortar have undertaken a special construction project aimed at boosting joint morale.
- Sustainers to field-test new lumbar supports Army News 28 Feb 2009 -- Army-issued back support systems for Soldiers riding in tactical vehicles may soon be field-tested by several 3d Sustainment Command (Expeditionary) units across theater.
- The M2 .50 cal: Over 80 years of service and counting Army News 28 Feb 2009 -- The M2 .50 cal machine gun is used by many 3d Sustainment Command (Expeditionary) Soldiers during convoy operations in Iraq today.
- Second Fleet Marks Its Anniversary with Ceremony at Naval Station Norfolk Navy NewsStand 28 Feb 2009 -- The U.S. Navy's 2nd Fleet, an armada of warships that has served the nation from the Cuban missile crisis to hurricane relief along the storm-ravaged Gulf Coast, celebrated its 63rd anniversary Feb. 27 at Naval Station Norfolk.
- US, China Hold Military Talks after 5-Month 'Pause' VOA 28 Feb 2009 -- China and the United States ended two days of military talks in Beijing on Saturday. This comes five months after China froze virtually all military exchanges between the two countries, in response to a major U.S. arms sale to Taiwan in October.
- Indian navy designated as central authority for maritime security IRNA 28 Feb 2009 -- Indian Navy has been designated as the central authority for the country's overall maritime security, said Defense Minister A K Antony.
- India lays keel of new aircraft carrier RIA Novosti 28 Feb 2009 -- The keel-laying ceremony for India's Indigenous Aircraft Carrier (IAC) took place Saturday, the country's Defense Ministry said.
- Somali Government, Islamists Agree to Truce VOA 28 Feb 2009 -- Somalia's president says he has accepted the terms of a truce negotiated by local Islamic elders between the government and an Islamic insurgent group.
- Palestinians on Strike over Israeli Plan to Demolish Homes VOA 28 Feb 2009 -- A new land dispute in Jerusalem that could force hundreds of Arabs from their homes is stirring up Palestinian anger.
- Asymmetrical Expectations In Washington And Moscow RFE/RL 28 Feb 2009 --U.S. expectations of Russian cooperation in Afghanistan are unlikely to be realized
- Restarting U.S.-Russia Relations Will Take More Than Pushing A Button RFE/RL 28 Feb 2009 -- Commentators on both sides of the Atlantic have now taken up the mantra first uttered by U.S. Vice President Joe Biden at the recent Munich security conference that it is time to "push the restart button" on U.S.-Russia relations
- Mugabe Vows to Continue Zimbabwe Land Reform VOA 28 Feb 2009 -- Zimbabwe President Robert Mugabe has told supporters to accept the new unity government, but vowed to continue his controversial land reform program that seizes white-owned farms.
- UN Special Tribunal on Hariri Assassination to Open Sunday VOA 28 Feb 2009 -- Four years after the assassination of former Lebanese Prime Minister Rafik Hariri, a special United Nations court is opening its doors in the Netherlands on Sunday to judge the suspects.
- Sharifs’ disqualification sends ripples in Pakistan’s politics IRNA 28 Feb 2009 -- The disqualification of major political party leaders in Pakistan has sent ripples in the political scenario, which may lead to the revival of traditional political bitterness
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|