07 February 2009 Military News
- Soldier dies from non-combat related injury
- Officers Who Served Under Saddam To Rejoin Iraqi Army RFE/RL 07 Feb 2009 -- Iraq inviting officers who served under Saddam Hussein to apply for reinstatement in army in exchange for a pension.
- Ten Militants Killed in Afghanistan's Helmand Province VOA 07 Feb 2009 -- Authorities say at least 15 people have died in a series of violent incidents in Afghanistan.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Biden Calls for Allied Cooperation to Meet Mutual Challenges AFPS 07 Feb 2009 -- In his address to the 45th Munich Security Conference today, Vice President Joseph R. Biden said allied cooperation and teamwork is vital to meet mutual economic and security challenges.
- Vice President Says U.S. Will 'Lead By Example' RFE/RL 07 Feb 2009 -- US Vice President Joe Biden told the Munich Security Conference that Washington intends to continue to exercise leadership in the world.
- Batchelder Assumes Command of Carrier Air Wing 11 Navy NewsStand 07 Feb 2009 -- Two F/A-18 Super Hornets and one F/A-18 Hornet provided the back drop as the reins of Carrier Air Wing (CVW) 11 were handed over during a change of command ceremony Feb. 5 at Naval Air Station Lemoore.
- Essex Begins Cobra Gold 2009 Navy NewsStand 07 Feb 2009 -- The forward-deployed amphibious assault ship USS Essex (LHD 2) arrived off the coast of Thailand on Feb. 7 to participate in exercise Cobra Gold 2009 (CG 09).
- CO Honored for 'Job Well Done' at Change of Command Navy NewsStand 07 Feb 2009 -- USS Providence (SSN 719) held a change of command ceremony at Naval Submarine Base New London's Shepherd of the Sea chapel Feb. 6.
- Biden Addresses Foreign Policy Priorities in Munich VOA 07 Feb 2009 -- U.S. Vice President Joe Biden has laid out the foreign policy priorities of the new U.S. administration in a wide-ranging address to the 45th annual Munich Security Conference Saturday.
- Russia not main military threat to EU, NATO - French president RIA Novosti 07 Feb 2009 -- Russia is not the main military threat for NATO and the EU, French President Nicholas Sarkozy told the 45th Munich Security Conference on Saturday.
- NATO chief prioritizes strengthening West's ties with Russia RIA Novosti 07 Feb 2009 -- Strengthening Russia's ties with the West is vital and the NATO-Russia Council can play an important role, the military alliance's secretary general said on Saturday.
- Russia, Iran Discuss Relations with US at Security Conference VOA 07 Feb 2009 -- Iranian and Russian officials mixed tough rhetoric with signals of overture to the new Obama administration at the security conference in Munich, Germany. Speaking at the start of the three-day conference, Iranian parliamentary speaker Ali Larijani called on Washington to adopt a new approach when it came to dealing with Tehran.
- U.S. to develop missile shield in Europe, consult Russia - Biden RIA Novosti 07 Feb 2009 -- The United States will continue to work on a planned missile defense system in Central Europe, but it will consult Russia, Vice President Joe Biden said on Saturday.
- Polish PM reiterates country's commitment to U.S. missile shield RIA Novosti 07 Feb 2009 -- Poland will follow through with the deployment of U.S. missile shield elements on its territory, Prime Minister Donald Tusk said at the 45th Munich Security Conference on Saturday.
- Polish PM to discuss missile shield with U.S. vice president RIA Novosti 07 Feb 2009 -- Polish Prime Minister Donald Tusk will discuss the U.S. missile defense shield planned for Central Europe with Vice President Joe Biden during a meeting at a security conference in Germany on Saturday.
- Georgia Claims 27 Russian Jets Sent to Abkhaz Base VOA 07 Feb 2009 -- Georgian Foreign Minister Grigol Vashadze has accused Russia of sending 27 fighter planes to a former Soviet airbase in Georgia's breakaway region of Abkhazia.
- Ukrainian PM speaks out against pipelines bypassing Ukraine RIA Novosti 07 Feb 2009 -- Ukrainian Prime Minister Yulia Tymoshenko said on Saturday Ukraine was a reliable gas transit country and urged that projects for gas pipelines bypassing Ukraine be abandoned.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|