31 August 2008 Military News
- Coalition Forces Capture 18 in Baghdad, Tikrit AFPS 31 Aug 2008 -- Coalition forces captured 18 suspected terrorists, including several wanted men, during operations throughout Iraq today, military officials reported.
- PRESS CONFERENCE: Update: Dr. al-Sheikhly, Brig. Gen. Dorko, Brig. Gen. Talley, Aug. 31, 2008 MNF-I 31 Aug 2008 -- Dr. Ali al-Dabbagh, Government of Iraq spokesman, discusses the latest activities and projects of the Iraqi Government
- Ongoing Operation in Afghan Province Kills 220 Enemy Fighters AFPS 31 Aug 2008 -- Afghan and coalition forces have killed more than 220 militants during operations in Afghanistan's Helmand province since Aug. 25, military officials reported.
- UN provides emergency aid to Afghans affected by recent military operations UN News Centre 31 Aug 2008 -- A United Nations team has delivered emergency relief assistance to some 900 people in the country's western Herat province who were affected the recent military operations which the world body said resulted in the deaths of numerous civilians, including many children.
- Pakistani Taliban: Attacks Will Continue During Ramadan VOA 31 Aug 2008 -- A Taliban spokesman in Pakistan says Taliban leaders have not instructed fighters to halt attacks during Ramadan, despite the government's announcement that it is suspending military operations in the northwest to allow civilians to observe the holy month.
- Moody Airmen prepare to provide Hurricane Gustav rescue support AFPN 31 Aug 2008 -- During the Labor Day weekend, Airmen from the 23rd Wing have been keeping their eye on Hurricane Gustav, and an ear to the phone.
- McChord aircrew deploys for hurricane response efforts AFPN 31 Aug 2008 -- Airmen here put the words "Any time, any place" into action in the early hours Aug. 30 as a C-17 Globemaster III headed to Travis Air Force Base, Calif., for Hurricane Gustav preparation efforts.
- Mississippi Guard unit helps with Hurricane Gustav preparations AFPN 31 Aug 2008
- Guard Aids New Orleans Evacuation, Braces for Storm Mission AFPS 31 Aug 2008 -- With the full force of the Louisiana National Guard activated, more than 7,000 citizen-soldiers and -airmen are assisting local authorities with evacuation and security efforts in New Orleans and performing dozens of other missions across the state as Hurricane Gustav approaches.
Defense Policy / Programs
- EU Leaders Prepare for Meeting About Georgia VOA 31 Aug 2008 -- European Union leaders gather for a summit in Brussels Monday to figure out how to respond to the crisis between Russia and Georgia - and what kind of action to take against Moscow after it recognized two breakaway Georgian regions as independent states.
- 'Right is on our side' over Georgia crisis says Putin RIA Novosti 31 Aug 2008 -- Russian Prime Minister Vladimir Putin has said that "right is on our side" in regard to the current crisis over Georgia.
- Nigerian Military Denies Rebels Claim of Deadly Attacks on Troops VOA 31 Aug 2008 -- Nigeria's most prominent militant group, the Movement for the Emancipation of the Niger Delta, says it killed some 29 government soldiers and lost six of its own members in a series of reprisal attacks against the army on Saturday
- New Orleans Evacuates Before Gustav VOA 31 Aug 2008 -- Local officials in and around New Orleans have ordered a mandatory evacuation of more than one million people living in the metropolitan area, which was devastated three years ago by Hurricane Katrina
- EU Blinks As Russia Holds Its Gaze RFE/RL 31 Aug 2008 -- When the chips are down, it is everyone for themselves in the European Union -- and among its neighbors.
- British PM Says West Won't Be Held Ransom To Russia RFE/RL 31 Aug 2008 -- British Prime Minister Gordon Brown has said the West will not be held to ransom by Moscow and vowed a "root and branch" review of relations between the European Union and Russia.
- EU 'Has No Easy Options' In Russia Policy RFE/RL 31 Aug 2008 -- EU leaders are scheduled to have emergency talks on September 1 on the situation in the Caucasus.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|