06 August 2008 Military News
Defense Policy / Programs
- OIF/OEF Casualty Update 6 Aug 2008 [PDF]
- DoD Identifies Army Casualties
- DoD Identifies Army Casualty
- DoD Identifies Army Casualty
- INTERVIEW: Security Operations: Iraqi Maj. Gen. Atta, U.S. Brig. Gen. Perkins, Aug. 6, 2008 MNF-I 06 Aug 2008 -- Maj. Gen. Qassim Atta, Military Spokesman for Operation Fardh al-Qanoon, and Brig. Gen. David Perkins, Spokesman for Multi-National Force - Iraq, discuss security operations in Iraq
- Aug. 5 airpower summary: C-130s deliver troop supplies AFPN 6 Aug 2008
- Troops in Iraq Detain 17 Suspects, Seize Weapons AFPS 6 Aug 2008 -- Coalition and Iraqi forces caught 17 suspects and seized scores of weapons during operations in Iraq.
- Various Factors Reduce Roadside Bomb Attacks, General Says AFPS 06 Aug 2008 -- A combination of factors has brought improvised explosive device attacks in Iraq to record-low levels, a senior U.S. military officer said here today.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Detainee Convicted Of Terrorism Charge At Military Commission Trial 06 Aug 2008 -- A military panel announced today that Salim Ahmed Hamdan of Yemen was found guilty of providing material support to terrorism by a military commission under the Military Commissions Act of 2006. Hamdan was found guilty on five of eight specifications of material support to terrorism, numbers 2, 5, 6, 7 and 8. He was found not-guilty by the panel members (jury) on the charge of conspiracy.
- Jury Finds Bin Laden Driver Guilty of Supporting Terrorism VOA 6 Aug 2008 -- A jury of U.S. military officers has convicted Salim Hamdan.
- Transcript: DoD News Briefing with Assad from the Pentagon, Arlington, Va. 06 Aug 2008 -- Presenter: Director of Defense Procurement and Acquisition Policy, Shay Assad
- DoD Marks 60th Anniversary Of Armed Forces And Civil Service Integration 06 Aug 2008 -- Secretary of Defense Robert Gates today celebrated the 60th anniversary of the desegregation of the armed forces and the federal civil service in a ceremony at the Pentagon.
- Navy Commissions New Guided Missile Destroyer Sterett 06 Aug 2008 -- The newest Arleigh Burke class guided-missile destroyer, Sterett, will be commissioned Saturday, Aug. 9, during a 7 p.m. EDT ceremony in Baltimore, Md., at the South Locust Point Marine Terminal.
- Future USS Green Bay Completes Acceptance Trials Navy NewsStand 06 Aug 2008 -- The future USS Green Bay (LPD 20) completed Acceptance Trials on Aug. 1, sailing from and returning to the Northrop Grumman Shipbuilding (NGSB) shipyard in New Orleans.
- Carl Vinson Readies for Crew Move Aboard Navy NewsStand 06 Aug 2008 -- Aboard (CMA) this August, Sailors assigned to the ship's zone management division are coordinating efforts to ensure essential spaces are completed and ready when Sailors begin to live and work aboard once again.
- Center Merges Counterintelligence, Human Intelligence Functions AFPS 06 Aug 2008 -- A new center here will combine Defense counterintelligence and human intelligence efforts at the national level, Defense Intelligence Agency officials said here yesterday.
- Navy Prepares Remote Minehunting System as Future Asset Navy NewsStand 06 Aug 2008 -- The Navy completed technical evaluation and training of the Remote Minehunting System (RMS) aboard USS Bainbridge (DDG-96) in Panama City on July 28.
- JSTARS meets AWACS AFPN 06 Aug 2008 -- The 16th Expeditionary Airborne Command and Control Squadron from Robins Air Force Base, Ga., has deployed to Kadena Air Base for 30 days to train with the 961st Airborne Air Control Squadron and participate in an operational readiness exercise on the Korean Peninsula.
- Developing Airmen and working mission ops never stop AFPN 06 Aug 2008 -- Daylong senior noncommissioned officer induction events at the 386th Air Expeditionary Wing Aug. 2 exemplified a commitment to professionally developing Airmen in the deployed environment
- Reserve officials approve 1,095 man-day waivers AFPN 06 Aug 2008 -- More than 1,600 reservists have received or will receive a waiver to stay on active duty after Sept. 30.
- Collaborative Process Guides Military's Cyber-electronic Future AFPS 06 Aug 2008 -- Faced with a rapidly evolving and borderless technological landscape, the U.S. military is reaching out to government, academia and industry for help in developing capabilities for protecting the nation's cyber infrastructure, an Army electronic warfare expert said yesterday.
- Defense Department Commemorates 60 Years of Armed Forces Integration AFPS 06 Aug 2008 -- As the Defense Department commemorated the 60th anniversary of the armed forces' integration today at the Pentagon, Defense Secretary Robert M. Gates said the observance is a reminder of "how far we've come toward living up to our founding ideals and how far we still have to go."
- National Guard's Diversity Found in States, Territories, Communities AFPS 06 Aug 2008 -- Today's diversity in the Army and Air National Guard reflects the diversity of the communities its members serve and live in, the National Guard Bureau's equal opportunity and civil rights director said.
- Pentagon Issues Draft Request for Proposals for New Tanker Contract AFPS 06 Aug 2008 -- The Defense Department has issued a draft request for proposals to the competitors in the Air Force's $35 billion program to acquire new aerial refueling tanker aircraft.
- Defense Department Reflects on Truman's Fight for Civil Rights AFPS 06 Aug 2008 -- The Defense Department commemorated 60 years of armed forces integration during a ceremony at the Pentagon today and recognized one the pioneers of the civil rights movement.
- Bush Thanks U.S., South Korean Troops for War Efforts AFPS 06 Aug 2008 -- During a visit today to the South Korean capital city of Seoul, President Bush thanked U.S. and South Korean troops for their efforts during the global war on terrorism.
- Bush: U.S.-South Korean Alliance Symbolizes 'Belief in Liberty' AFPS 06 Aug 2008 -- Fostering freedom is the foundation of the security alliance between the United States and South Korea, President Bush said today during a visit with U.S. and Korean troops in the capital city of Seoul.
- Missile Defense Agency Completes Testing of Propulsion Component MDA 06 Aug 2008 -- Lieutenant General Henry "Trey" Obering, Missile Defense Agency director, announced today that testing of a key propulsion system component for the Agency's Multiple Kill Vehicle-L (MKV-L) payload has been successfully completed
- Taiwanese Americans urge U.S. to 'unfreeze' Taiwan arms sales CNA 6 Aug 2008 -- 19 Taiwanese-American groups have written to U.S. President George W. Bush urging him to "unfreeze" arms sales to Taiwan.
- Moscow says no nuclear weapons in Belarus to counter U.S. shield RIA Novosti 6 Aug 2008 -- Russia may review military cooperation with Belarus in response to U.S. missile defense plans.
- Georgia, Britain to hold joint military drills in September RIA Novosti 6 Aug 2008 -- Georgia and the U.K. will hold joint military training exercises in September at the Vaziani base near the Georgian capital Tbilisi.
- Indian submarine sails for home after refit in Russia RIA Novosti 6 Aug 2008 -- The INS Sindhuvijay diesel-electric submarine departed for India after overhaul at a shipyard in northern Russia.
- Daily Press Briefing US Dep.t of State 06 Aug 2008
- Press Gaggle by Dana Perino and Anita McBride, Chief of Staff to Mrs. Bush The White House 06 Aug 2008 >
- DoD News: Contracts for August 06, 2008
- ATK Conducts Successful Advanced Anti-Radiation Guided Missile (AARGM) Flight Test ATK 06 Aug 2008 -- Alliant Techsystems (NYSE: ATK), the U.S. Navy, and the Italian Air Force successfully completed another challenging missile firing of the AGM-88E Advanced Anti-Radiation Guided Missile (AARGM) at the Naval Air Weapons Station China Lake on August 3, 2008.
- Boeing Awarded $28.8 Million E-6B Upgrade Contract Boeing 06 Aug 2008 -- The Boeing Company [NYSE: BA] has been awarded a $28.8 million sole-source U.S. Navy contract to upgrade the service's fleet of 16 E-6B airborne command, control and communications aircraft.
- General Dynamics Awarded $614 Million for Abrams Tank Upgrades General Dynamics 06 Aug 2008 -- The U.S. Army TACOM Lifecycle Management Command awarded General Dynamics Land Systems $614 million on August 1 to upgrade 235 M1A1 Abrams main battle tanks to the M1A2 Systems Enhancement Package (SEP) Version Two (V2) configuration. General Dynamics Land Systems is a business unit of General Dynamics (NYSE: GD).
- General Dynamics Awarded Contract for Continued Stryker Production General Dynamics 06 Aug 2008 -- The U.S. Army TACOM Lifecycle Management Command has awarded General Dynamics Land Systems, a business unit of General Dynamics (NYSE: GD), a contract for production and maintenance of 615 Stryker vehicles
- L-3 Selected for Air Force Weapon Systems Support Contract L-3 Communications 06 Aug 2008 -- L-3 Communications (NYSE: LLL) today announced it has been selected as a prime contractor for a U.S. Air Force weapons systems support contract with a maximum value of $6.9 billion.
- Northrop Grumman Statement Regarding Request for Proposal for Tanker Northrop Grumman 06 Aug 2008 -- The following is a statement of Randy Belote, Northrop Grumman Vice President, Corporate & International Communications, concerning today's release of a draft Request For Proposals for the next generation of aerial refueling tankers.
- Raytheon Awarded U.S. Air Force Sustainment Contract Raytheon 06 Aug 2008 -- Raytheon Technical Services Company (RTSC) LLC, a subsidiary of Raytheon Company (NYSE: RTN), has received a seven-year, indefinite delivery-indefinite quantity (IDIQ) contract to provide sustainment support for all U.S. Air Force-operated weapon systems, support systems, subsystems, components, and related services
- Boeing, Industry Teammates Test Short-Wave Infrared Camera on ScanEagle Unmanned Aircraft Boeing 06 Aug 2008 -- The Boeing Company [NYSE: BA], Goodrich Corporation and Insitu Inc. have successfully flight-tested a ScanEagle unmanned aircraft equipped for the first time with a short-wave infrared (SWIR) camera.
- National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency Awards Lockheed Martin $32 Million Learning Management Contract Lockheed Martin 06 Aug 2008 -- The National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency (NGA) has awarded Lockheed Martin [NYSE: LMT] a $32 million option on a contract to provide specialized geospatial training to analysts and officials across the Department of Defense and the Intelligence Community
- Russia hands over six Mi-17 helicopters to Indonesia RIA Novosti 6 Aug 2008.
- India successfully tests domestically built anti-tank missile RIA Novosti 6 Aug 2008 -- India has completed the development of an anti-tank missile and will put it into service after field test trials in September.
- DAILY PRESS BRIEFING BY THE OFFICE OF THE SPOKESPERSON FOR THE SECRETARY-GENERAL United Nations 06 Aug 2008
- Situation in Swat still tense IRNA 6 Aug 2008 -- The situation in Swat in the North West Frontier Province (NWFP) of Pakistan is tensed despite a large scale military operation against local Taliban.
- S.Ossetia says Georgia plans military intervention this month RIA Novosti 6 Aug 2008 -- The leader of South Ossetia: Georgia is planning a full-scale invasion of the region before the start of September.
- Georgia confirms bilateral talks with S.Ossetia RIA Novosti 6 Aug 2008 -- Georgia's Reintegration Minister Temur Iakobashvili confirmed his country would hold direct talks with South Ossetia.
- Military Declares New Government in Mauritania VOA 6 Aug 2008 -- The military staged an apparent bloodless coup, detaining President Sidi Mohamed Ould Cheikh Abdallahi and taking control of the government.
- France Denies Involvement in Rwanda Genocide VOA 6 Aug 2008 -- France has rejected a report by Rwanda claiming Paris played a role in the 1994 genocide in the East African nation.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|