04 July 2008 Military News
- July 3 airpower summary: UAVs support ground forces AFPN 04 Jul 2008
- Afghan Officials say 22 Civilians Killed in US-led Air Raid VOA 04 Jul 2008 -- Afghan officials say a U.S.-led coalition air strike has killed 22 civilians in eastern Afghanistan.
Defense Policy / Programs
- Polish PM Terms Unsatisfactory Latest US Offer on Missile Shield VOA 04 Jul 2008 -- Polish Prime Minister Donald Tusk says the latest U.S. incentive for Poland to host part of a U.S. missile defense system is unsatisfactory.
- Poland rejects U.S. missile shield terms, but ready for dialogue RIA Novosti 04 Jul 2008 -- Poland's prime minister said on Friday his country is not satisfied with the terms offered by the U.S. for the deployment of a missile defense base on its soil, but is ready for further dialogue.
- Czech-U.S. missile defense deal to be signed in late July RIA Novosti 04 Jul 2008 -- The United States will sign a deal with the Czech Republic to place a missile defense radar in the country in late July, the Czech foreign minister said on Friday.
- Polish PM, U.S. vice president talk missile defense RIA Novosti 04 Jul 2008 -- Poland's prime minister held a telephone conversation with U.S. Vice President Dick Cheney on Thursday night to discuss Washington's plans to deploy a missile base on Polish soil, the Polish government's press service said.
- Russia to lease 'deadly' nuclear attack sub to India in 2009 RIA Novosti 04 Jul 2008 -- Russia has begun dock trials of a nuclear submarine, which will be leased in 2009 to the Indian navy for 10 years, a prominent Indian daily reported.
- EADS Defence & Security to equip German military airfields with the most up-to-date radar and identification systems EADS 04 Jul 2008 -- EADS Defence & Security (DS) is to equip the military airfields in Germany with the most modern airfield control radar in the world and, by doing so, will make an important contribution to increasing flight safety.
- Russia calls Georgian actions against S.Ossetia "open aggression" RIA Novosti 04 Jul 2008 -- Russia's Foreign Ministry said Friday after mortar fire hit Georgia's breakaway region of South Ossetia overnight that Georgia's actions amount to "open aggression".
- Ethiopia Says Troops Killed 71 Islamists in Somalia VOA 04 Jul 2008 -- Ethiopia says its forces have killed 71 Islamist fighters and leaders in Somalia in a joint operation with the Somali government.
- North-South Tensions Rising Again in Sudan's Abyei Region VOA 04 Jul 2008 -- Tension is mounting again in Sudan's oil-rich region of Abyei, following complaints from south Sudanese officials that northern troops have not withdrawn from the area
- Zimbabwe's Mugabe Says Opposition Must Accept Him as President VOA 04 Jul 2008 -- Zimbabwean President Robert Mugabe says the opposition must accept him as the country's leader if it wants to hold talks on ending Zimbabwe's political crisis.
- Former US Senator Jesse Helms Dies At 86 VOA 04 Jul 2008 -- Former U.S. Senator Jesse Helms, a conservative icon and opponent of U.S. foreign aid, died Friday at the age of 86
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|