14 June 2008 Military News
- June 13 airpower summary: Refuelers extend global reach AFPN 14 Jun 2008
- June 12 airpower summary: F-15Es provide close-air support AFPN 14 Jun 2008
- Afghanistan: Many 'Important' Taliban Among Hundreds Of Prison Escapees RFE/RL 14 Jun 2008 -- Hundreds of prisoners have escaped from a jail in southern Afghanistan, including many "important" Taliban militants, after their accomplices blasted open the prison gate in an overnight attack in Kandahar.
- Afghan, Foreign Troops Launch Massive Manhunt to Recapture Prisoners VOA 14 Jun 2008 -- Afghan and foreign troops have launched a massive manhunt to recapture hundreds of prisoners, including suspected Taliban militants, who escaped a central prison in southern Afghanistan after a raid by Taliban insurgents on Friday night
Defense Policy / Programs
- Forrest Sherman Aids Stranded Peruvian Fishing Vessel Navy NewsStand 14 Jun 2008 -- The crew of guided missile destroyer USS Forrest Sherman (DDG 98) came to the aid of a stranded fishing vessel 20 miles off Peru's port city of Paita, June 10.
- Tech Demo Part of Army Birthday at Pentagon Army News 14 Jun 2008 -- Visitors to the Pentagon were treated June 13 to a look at a prototype of the Non-Line of Sight Cannon.
- Thailand Phase of CARAT 2008 Exercises Underway Navy NewsStand 14 Jun 2008 -- Three U.S. Navy ships and one U.S. Coast Guard Cutter arrived at Sattahip Naval Base in Thailand June 8 to begin the Thailand phase of the 14th annual Cooperation Afloat Readiness and Training (CARAT) exercise.
- Ground Broken for National Intrepid Center of Excellence at Bethesda Navy NewsStand 14 Jun 2008 -- Military leaders and senior officials from the Fisher Foundation and Intrepid Fallen Heroes Fund gathered Thursday on the National Naval Medical Center's campus to break ground for the National Intrepid Center of Excellence.
- Continuing Promise 2008 Delivers Project Handclasp Donations to Peru Navy NewsStand 14 Jun 2008 -- Continuing Promise (CP) 2008 mission leaders, embarked aboard USS Boxer (LHD 4), delivered several pallets of donated goods to Peruvian officials on behalf of Project Handclasp, June 11.
- Russia's Black Sea Fleet does not threaten Ukrainian sovereignty RIA Novosti 14 Jun 2008 -- The presence of Russia's Black Sea Fleet in Sevastopol is no threat to Ukraine's sovereignty, Russia's deputy prime minister said during celebrations to mark the city's 225th anniversary on Saturday.
- President Bush Participates in Joint Press Availability with President Sarkozy of France The White House 14 Jun 2008
- Rebel Fighters Attack Town in Eastern Chad VOA 14 Jun 2008 -- Rebels in Chad have attacked a town in the east of the country where thousands of refugees were taking shelter.
- Rice to Launch New Middle East Peace Mission VOA 14 Jun 2008 -- The United States' top diplomat is heading to the Middle East to try to give a boost to the peace process, but expectations are low
- US-Pakistan Relationship Strained by Terror Issue VOA 13 Jun 2008 -- Relations between the United States and Pakistan have hit some bumpy spots over efforts to curb terrorist acts by Islamic extremists
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|