13 June 2008 Military News
- OIF/OEF Casualty Update 13 Jun 2008 [PDF]
- DoD Identifies Army Casualty
- DoD Identifies Army Casualty
- Forces in Iraq Kill Nine, Capture 24, Seize Weapons AFPS 13 Jun 2008 -- Coalition and Iraqi forces killed nine enemy fighters, captured more than 24 suspects, and seized weapons across Iraq in the past three days, military officials said.
- NMCB 3 Builds Iraqi Highway Patrol Station Navy NewsStand 13 Jun 2008 -- Seabees from Naval Mobile Construction Battalion (NMCB) 3 are building an Iraqi Highway Patrol (IHP) station along one of the main highways that leads into the border with Syria in the Al Anbar province of Iraq.
- Transcript: DoD News Briefing with Gen. McNeill from the Pentagon 13 Jun 2008 -- Presenter: Former Commander, NATO International Security Assistance Force Gen. Daniel McNeill
- Coalition, Afghan Forces Thwart Ambushes, Kill Enemy Fighters AFPS 13 Jun 2008 -- Coalition and Afghan forces thwarted three ambushes, killing at least 17 enemy fighters and seizing explosive materials and weapons in Afghanistan over the past two days, military officials said.
- Larger Force in Afghanistan 'Might Be Counterintuitive,' General Says AFPS 13 Jun 2008 -- The current number of forces in Afghanistan is enough to accomplish the mission, but it'll take awhile to do so, the U.S. officer who just finished his tour as commander of NATO troops in Afghanistan said here today.
- Challenges Remain in Afghanistan, General Says AFPS 13 Jun 2008 -- Though statistics indicate the insurgency in Afghanistan is not expanding, multiple challenges remain there, the U.S. officer who just finished his tour as commander of NATO troops in Afghanistan said here today.
- Predator crashes in Afghanistan AFPN 13 Jun 2008 -- An Air Force MQ-1 Predator crashed following takeoff at approximately 2 a.m. local time June 12 here.
- Afghanistan: Kabul Surprised, Pleased With Aid Pledges RFE/RL 13 Jun 2008 -- Some $21 billion in aid pledges were made for Afghanistan at an international donors' conference this week in Paris
- Condoleezza Rice regrets killing of Pakistani soldiers in US air raids IRNA 13 Jun 2008 -- U.S Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice Friday expressed regret over the killing of 11 Pakistani soldiers in air raids by American planes, the Foreign Ministry said.
- Pakistan's MP condemns US bombing in tribal region IRNA 13 Jun 2008 -- Former Pakistani Interior Minister and member of the National Assembly Aftab Ahmad Khan Sherpao has strongly condemned the bombing by US-Led forces in the tribal region, calling it a brutal act against the security and sovereignty of Pakistan.
- Pakistan FM raises U.S sir strike with NATO secretary general IRNA 13 Jun 2008 -- Foreign Minister Makhdoom Shah Mahmood Qureshi Thursday raised the issue of U.S air strike in the Pakistani tribal region, which killed 11 soldiers, with NATO secretary general, the Foreign Office said.
- Air Guard plane provides documentation of flood damage AFPN 13 Jun 2008 -- The Indiana National Guard here has received live footage of flood damage throughout the state from an advanced Air National Guard counterdrug aircraft to assist with missions and help local governments plan to repair the damage.
- Guard Floods States with Help as Waters Rise Army News 13 Jun 2008 -- Governors in four of six Midwestern states affected by heavy rains and subsequent flooding called out more than 2,000 National Guardmembers this week as flood waters forced residents from their homes, left thousands without power and damaged infrastructure.
- Guard units provide real-time video of flood damaged areas AFPN 13 Jun 2008 -- Flying at 8,000 feet above flood ravaged Wisconsin, members of the Wisconsin Air National Guard with assistance from Air Guard units from Arkansas and Mississippi provided emergency management officials with "eyes in the sky" to help with disaster relief efforts.
Defense Policy / Programs
- US, Iraq: Committed to Joint Security Pact VOA 13 Jun 2008 -- The United States and Iraq say they are committed to negotiating a framework for U.S. forces to remain in that country after the end of this year, when the U.N. mandate authorizing their presence expires
- Maliki: Talks on US-Iraqi Security Deal at 'Dead End' VOA 13 Jun 2008 -- Iraqi Prime Minister Nouri al-Maliki negotiations with the United States on a planned long-term security agreement have reached a "dead end."
- Successful Missile Defense Dual-Target Tracking Exercise Completed Missile Defence Agency 13 Jun 2008 -- Air Force Lieutenant General Henry "Trey" Obering III, Missile Defense Agency (MDA) director, announced the successful completion of a tracking exercise conducted by MDA and the U.S. Navy today off the coast of Kauai, Hawaii by the Aegis Ballistic Missile Defense (BMD) system aboard the USS Lake Erie (CG 70).
- PCU Bush to Operate New Water Treatment System Navy NewsStand 13 Jun 2008 -- When aircraft carrier George H.W. Bush (CVN 77) joins the fleet, it will operate an environmentally friendly wastewater treatment system that is the first of its kind for U.S. Navy vessels.
- U.S., Spain EOD Units Participate in Exercise Magre 08-1 Navy NewsStand 13 Jun 2008 -- Explosive Ordnance Disposal Mobil Unit (EODMU) 8 Det. Europe and the Spanish navy's Unidad Especial Desactivad De Explosivo took part in the 8th Annual Magre Exercise 08-1 at Naval Station Rota, June 9-12.
- 192nd first Air Guard unit to fly F-22 for Operation Noble Eagle AFPN 13 Jun 2008 -- The Virginia Air National Guard's 192nd Fighter Wing here is the first Air Guard unit to fly the F-22 Raptor in support of Operation Noble Eagle.
- Transcript: Press Conference with Secretary Gates at NATO Headquarters, Brussels 13 Jun 2008 -- Presenter: Secretary of Defense Robert M. Gates
- Gates Calls on NATO Allies to Live up to Pledges AFPS 13 Jun 2008 -- NATO has made significant progress in Afghanistan, and the alliance now needs to deliver on the goals the alliance's heads of state set when they met in April, Defense Secretary Robert M. Gates said here today.
- Gates Speaks from Heart in Effort to Spur NATO Nations AFPS 13 Jun 2008
- Joint Chiefs Chairman Weighs In on Issues Facing Forces AFPS 13 Jun 2008 -- The chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff today discussed the state of the Air Force, his desire to end stop-loss, his vision for a modified GI Bill, and the Army's birthday.
- Ukraine to take part in NATO Response Force RIA Novosti 13 Jun 2008 -- Ukraine will contribute to the NATO Response Force as a partner country, NATO Secretary General Jaap de Hoop Scheffer said on Friday.
- Russia: NATO Chief Praises Cooperation, Despite Differences RFE/RL 13 Jun 2008 -- NATO's secretary-general has hailed cooperation with Russia, despite a number of sharp disagreements between Moscow and the Western alliance.
- Russia's defense chief says disputes hold back ties with NATO RIA Novosti 13 Jun 2008 -- Russia's defense minister said after talks with NATO counterparts on Friday that disagreements over the CFE treaty and U.S. missile shield plans continue to hold back Russia-NATO relations.
- Russian, NATO defense chiefs to discuss missile shield, Abkhazia RIA Novosti 13 Jun 2008 -- Russia's defense minister will meet with his NATO counterparts in Brussels on Friday for talks expected to focus on Russia's role in the Georgian rebel region of Abkhazia and U.S. missile shield plans.
- Press Gaggle by Dana Perino and the First Lady The White House 13 Jun 2008
- DoD News: Contracts for June 13, 2008
- BAE SYSTEMS COMPLETES INTEGRATION OF FIRST NON-LINE-OF-SIGHT CANNON PROTOTYPE FOR THE U.S. ARMY BAE Systems 13 Jun 2008 -- BAE Systems has completed the integration of the first Non-Line-of-Sight (NLOS) Cannon prototype: the U.S. Army's first fully integrated Future Combat Systems (FCS) Manned Ground Vehicle.
- DAILY PRESS BRIEFING BY THE OFFICE OF THE SPOKESPERSON FOR THE SECRETARY-GENERAL United Nations 13 Jun 2008
- Kosovo: Constitution Born Amid Fears Of Turmoil RFE/RL 13 Jun 2008 -- When Kosovo's parliament chose a new national anthem from three finalists in a gala session this week, it was supposed to be one of the finishing touches on the newly independent country's fledgling statehood.
- CHAD: Rebels seen moving again in east IRIN 13 Jun 2008 -- Two columns of armed fighters are moving close to areas where aid operations are ongoing in eastern Chad, aid workers in the area said on 13 June.
- Peace Accord Brings More Violence to Somalia VOA 13 Jun 2008 -- Violence in the Somali capital Mogadishu and elsewhere has increased dramatically since a U.N.-backed peace agreement was signed Monday in Djibouti between Somalia's transitional federal government and a moderate faction of the Islamist-led opposition group in Eritrea
- Israel Approves Plans for 1,300 New Settler Homes in East Jerusalem VOA 13 Jun 2008 -- Israel has announced plans to build 1,300 new homes for Jewish settlers in the disputed eastern sector of Jerusalem.
- EU: Irish 'No' Vote On Lisbon Treaty Blows Hole In EU Integration Project RFE/RL 13 Jun 2008 -- The EU ship of state has just been holed just above the waterline
- Bush Stresses Trans-Atlantic Unity in Paris VOA 13 Jun 2008 -- U.S. President George Bush is using the latest stop on his European trip to urge what he calls a new era in trans-Atlantic relations
- Mugabe Warns of War if Opposition Wins Election VOA 13 Jun 2008 -- Former U.N. Secretary-General Kofi Annan is among dozens of African notables to call urgently for free and transparent elections in Zimbabwe
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|