07 June 2008 Military News
- June 6 airpower summary: C-17s provide heavy airlift AFPN 07 Jun 2008
Defense Policy / Programs
- President Urges Congress to Pass Military Funding Bill AFPS 07 Jun 2008 -- President Bush today urged Congress to immediately pass legislation that's urgently needed to fund military operations in Afghanistan and Iraq and other important Defense Department programs.
- Bush Urges Congress to Approve War Funding VOA 07 Jun 2008 -- U.S. President George Bush wants $178 billion more in military spending to help pay for wars in Afghanistan and Iraq
- USS Russell Participates in Exercise Khunjar Haad Navy NewsStand 07 Jun 2008 -- The guided-missile destroyer USS Russell (DDG 59) participated in Exercise Khunjar Haad, a four-day multinational exercise conducted in the Gulf of Oman, May 17-21.
- Russian Air Force says military fighters no threat to airliner RIA Novosti 07 Jun 2008 -- A Russian Air Force official said on Saturday that military aircraft flying near to a passenger airliner in northwest Russia had not posed any threat to the civilian plane.
- Russia to build breakwater at Black Sea naval base by 2014 RIA Novosti 07 Jun 2008 -- Russia plans to build a deep-water breakwater to protect Black Sea Fleet ships at a naval base in Novorossiysk in south Russia by 2014.
- EADS North America begins UH-72A Light Utility Helicopter deliveries to the U.S. Army National Guard EADS 07 Jun 2008 -- First unit receiving the UH-72A is the Mississippi Army National Guard's 1-114 Security & Support Battalion in Tupelo, Mississippi
- Russia: Moscow Warns Georgia, Ukraine; Brushes Off Abkhaz Mediation Offer RFE/RL 07 Jun 2008 -- Russia has condemned moves by Georgia and Ukraine to join NATO, saying they could have serious repercussions.
- Russia says rail troops to leave Abkhazia within 2 months RIA Novosti 07 Jun 2008 -- Russian railroad troops will leave Georgia's breakaway republic of Abkhazia within two months, Russia's defense minister said on Saturday.
- UNHCR Suspending Operations in Eastern DRC VOA 07 Jun 2008 -- The UN refugee agency (UNHCR) says it is suspending operations in eastern Democratic Republic of the Congo following a deadly attack by rebels on a makeshift camp in the Rutshuru area of North Kivu province
- France's Sarkozy Pledges Support for Lebanon's New President VOA 07 Jun 2008 -- French President Nicholas Sarkozy became the first Western leader to visit Lebanon since the election of the country's new president, Michel Suleiman, two weeks ago, putting an end to months of political crisis
- Clinton Suspends Presidential Bid, Pledges Full Support for Obama VOA 07 Jun 2008 -- Hillary Clinton has ended her political campaign and declared her full support for Barack Obama in this year's U.S. presidential election.
- Russia: Medvedev Blames U.S. For Economic Crisis, Offers Moscow's Help RFE/RL 07 Jun 2008 -- Russian President Dmitry Medvedev, in his first major speech on economics since taking office, has blamed the United States for the global economic downturn and offered Moscow's help.
- Pakistan's Musharraf Denies Resignation Rumors VOA 07 Jun 2008 -- Pakistan's President Pervez Musharraf is denying rumors that he is planning to resign following weeks of criticism from his opponents, some of whom have vowed to impeach him
- U.S. president prolongs sanctions against Belarusian leadership RIA Novosti 07 Jun 2008 -- U.S. President George Bush on Saturday prolonged for at least one year sanctions imposed in June 2006 on a number of Belarusian officials, including President Alexander Lukashenko.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|