27 April 2008 Military News
- PRESS CONFERENCE: Operational Update: Rear Adm. Driscoll, Maj. Gen. Atta, April 27, 2008 MNF-I 27 Apr 2008 -- Rear Admiral Patrick Driscoll, Spokesman, Multi-National Force - Iraq, Major General Qassim Atta, Spokesman, Operation Fardh Al-Qanoon
- April 26 airpower summary: Predators take out enemy positions AFPN 27 Apr 2008
- Troops in Iraq Kill Suspected Terrorists, Capture Dozens AFPS 27 Apr 2008 -- Coalition forces killed at least 20 suspected terrorists, captured scores of others, and seized weapons caches in Iraq over the past four days, military officials said.
- Baghdad's Green Zone Attacked During Sandstorm VOA 27 Apr 2008 -- Iraqi officials say insurgents have fired a volley of rockets or mortar rounds into Baghdad's Green Zone during a heavy sandstorm.
- Afghan President Escapes Assassination Attempt VOA 27 Apr 2008 -- Afghan President Hamid Karzai has survived an assault by Taliban militants on a military parade in Kabul
- Coalition, Anti-Afghanistan Forces Clash in Kapisa AFPS 27 Apr 2008 -- Coalition forces engaged anti-Afghan forces in the Tag Ab district of Afghanistan's Kapisa province yesterday, resulting in the death of several militants, military officials said.
- Afghanistan: Attack Disrupts Kabul Military Parade RFE/RL 27 Apr 2008 -- Afghan officials say three people have been killed in an attack on a ceremony in the capital, Kabul, attended by President Hamid Karzai and other dignitaries.
Defense Policy / Programs
- YEMEN: Senior official denies closure of UN offices IRIN 27 Apr 2008 -- The UN in Yemen has raised the level of security in its buildings in a bid to mitigate any terrorist attacks against it but has not closed any of its offices, a senior UN official told IRIN.
- Chechnya: Is Kadyrov Maintaining Hold On Power? RFE/RL 27 Apr 2008 -- Just over one year after President Vladimir Putin handed him the Chechen leadership, Ramzan Kadyrov has taken innumerable steps to tighten his grip over the war-battered republic.
- World Bank Says Israeli Restrictions Stifle Palestinian Economy VOA 27 Apr 2008 -- The World Bank is accusing Israel of stifling the Palestinian economy
- NEPAL: Former rebels favoured by marginalised communities IRIN 27 Apr 2008
- US Envoy Say Tsvangirai Should Lead Any Zimbabwe Unity Government VOA 27 Apr 2008 -- The top U.S. envoy for Africa says any government of national unity in Zimbabwe should be led by opposition leader Morgan Tsvangirai.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|