19 April 2008 Military News
- DoD Identifies Army Casualty
- April 18 airpower summary: C-17s sustain operations AFPN 19 Apr 2008
- Operation Charge of the Knights begins phase 3 in Hyyaniyah MNF-I 19 Apr 2008 -- Operation Saulat al Fursan, or Charge of the Knights, began a new phase of operations April 19.
- US, Iraqi Forces Seize Militant Stronghold in Basra VOA 19 Apr 2008 -- Iraqi government forces say they have taken control of an area in the southern city of Basra formerly held by Islamic militants.
- Kidnapped Pakistani Ambassador Appears in New Video VOA 19 Apr 2008 -- Pakistan's ambassador to Afghanistan has appeared in a video aired by an Arabic-language channel, saying he is being held by Taliban militants
Defense Policy / Programs
- Darfur: UN, African Union envoys hold fresh talks with leaders of rebel groups UN News Centre 19 Apr 2008 -- The United Nations and African Union envoys spearheading efforts to devise a durable political settlement to the five-year conflict in Darfur have held several days of talks in the Sudanese region with representatives of the groups and movements that have not signed previous peace accords.
- Delegation from UN Peacebuilding Commission begins visit to Burundi UN News Centre 19 Apr 2008 -- A delegation from the United Nations Peacebuilding Commission, set up to help prevent post-conflict countries from sliding back into war and misrule, travels today to Burundi on a six-day mission to examine how to help the struggling African nation move forward.
- Rice Says 'Very Concerned' Over Russia Move On Georgia Separatist Regions RFE/RL 19 Apr 2008 -- U.S. Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice has said the United States is "very concerned" about the Russian decree boosting Moscow's cooperation with two Georgian separatist regions.
- Hamas Militants Attack Gaza Border Crossing with Bomb-Filled Cars VOA 19 Apr 2008 -- Three Hamas militants have been killed and 13 Israeli soldiers wounded in a daring Palestinian attack on Israel's border with the Gaza Strip
- Zimbabwe Begins Election Recount; Opposition Calls it Illegal VOA 19 Apr 2008 -- For the first time in Zimbabwe's history, an election recount is taking place
- Russia-West relations cannot be called confrontation - FM Lavrov RIA Novosti 19 Apr 2008 -- The Russia-NATO Council summit in Bucharest and the Russian-American summit in Sochi in early April showed that the Russia-West relations cannot be called "confrontation", the Russian foreign minister said.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|