15 April 2008 Military News
Defense Policy / Programs
- OIF/OEF Casualty Update 15 Apr 2008 [PDF]
- DoD Identifies Marine Casualties
- DoD Identifies Army Casualty
- DoD Identifies Army Casualty
- Transcript: DoD News Briefing with Geoff Morrell from the Pentagon, Arlington, Va. 15 Apr 2008 -- Presenter: Pentagon Press Secretary Geoff Morrell
- April 14 airpower summary: F-15s destroy enemy combatants AFPN 15 Apr 2008
- Troops Capture Alleged Terrorist Leader in Mosul AFPS 15 Apr 2008 -- Coalition forces captured an alleged al-Qaida in Iraq leader thought to be in charge of an illegal terrorist court system in the area yesterday in Mosul, military officials reported.
- Coalition Forces to Release Detained AP Photographer AFPS 15 Apr 2008 -- Coalition military officials in Baghdad have informed attorneys for Associated Press photographer Bilal Hussein Zaidon that they intend to release Hussein from custody tomorrow.
- Airmen respond to coalition fire in Iraq AFPN 15 Apr 2008 -- Airmen from the Ali Base fire department and provost marshal's office responded to a structure fire in the Romanian coalition force camp here April 11 here.
- Multinational Corps Iraq Launches Capacity-Building Operation AFPS 15 Apr 2008 -- Multinational Division Center kicked off the main phase of its first major operation devoted primarily to capacity building -- expanding governance, economics and infrastructure -- today in communities south of Baghdad in Iraq's Baghdad province.
- Insurgents Target Afghan Medical Assistance Teams AFPS 15 Apr 2008 -- Insurgents attacked a medical outreach team of Afghan National Army and coalition forces in the Sanguin district of Afghanistan's Helmand province April 12, military officials reported.
- UNHCR Suspends Refugee Returns to Afghanistan VOA 15 Apr 2008 -- The United Nations has temporarily suspended its voluntary return of Afghan refugees from Pakistan, because of a roadblock in the tribal areas on the road to Afghanistan.
- AFGHANISTAN: Attacks on NGOs rise sharply in 2008 - report IRIN 15 Apr 2008 -- Attacks on non-governmental organisations (NGOs) and aid workers by anti-government forces, chiefly Taliban insurgents, have risen sharply in the first quarter of 2008, according to a report by the Afghanistan NGO Safety Office (ANSO).
Defense Policy / Programs
- Army Briefs Sabine River Authority Officials Army News 15 Apr 2008 -- A host of Army leaders, to include the secretary of the Army, provided Texas officials a comprehensive overview of the service and its global responsibilities during a "fly-in" at the Pentagon Monday.
- CMSAF addresses Academy cadets AFPN 15 Apr 2008 -- Academy cadets had an opportunity to receive insight from the Air Force's top enlisted member April 10.
- C-130 unit gets a new bird with an old history AFPN 15 Apr 2008 -- For years, U.S. Air Force, coalition and sister service forces have relied on the steady stream of supplies and equipment brought in by aircrews flying KC-135 Stratotankers, C-130 Hercules, C-17 Globemaster IIIs and other airlift workhorses.
- Pearl-like coating from oysters could protect aircraft AFPN 15 Apr 2008 -- Scientists from the University of Dayton Research Institute have manipulated the process of shell and pearl formation in oysters to demonstrate a method for depositing pearl-like coatings onto various metal surfaces.
- Mullen Strives for Balance in Current Role as Joint Chiefs Chairman AFPS 15 Apr 2008 -- To keep U.S. forces well resourced, trained and poised for unknown future threats, the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff strives for balance, he said today.
- Gates, Rice Support Extension of Security-Assistance Legislation AFPS 15 Apr 2008 -- Defense Secretary Robert M. Gates and Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice recommended extending legislation that enables the U.S. military to provide funding for training and equipping foreign forces for global counterinsurgency operations during testimony before the House Armed Services Committee here today.
- Department Works to Improve Absentee-Voting Procedures, Boost Participation AFPS 15 Apr 2008 -- The Defense Department has made great strides over the past four years to ensure servicemembers, particularly those stationed and deployed overseas, have greater opportunity to vote, a senior defense official told Congress today.
- Leaders Cite Defense, State Department Teamwork in Iraq, Afghanistan AFPS 15 Apr 2008 -- Defense Secretary Robert M. Gates and Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice discussed ongoing collaboration between their agencies as part of counterinsurgency efforts in Iraq, Afghanistan and elsewhere during testimony before the House Armed Services Committee here today.
- Senior Executive Service Appointment 15 Apr 2008
- USS Henry M. Jackson Holds Change of Command Navy NewsStand 15 Apr 2008 -- USS Henry M. Jackson (HMJ) (SSBN 730) held a change of command ceremony, April 14 at the Jackson Park Chapel in Bremerton.
- CFAY, Zushi Join Forces for Disaster Preparedness Navy NewsStand 15 Apr 2008 -- A memorandum of understanding for disaster preparedness and disaster response operations between Commander Fleet Activities Yokosuka (CFAY) and the city of Zushi was signed during a formal ceremony at CFAY, April 11.
- USS Nashville Visits Crete During Phoenix Express 08 Navy NewsStand 15 Apr 2008 -- Sailors aboard the amphibious transport dock ship USS Nashville (LPD 13) visited the port of Souda Bay, and the nearby city of Chania, April 8-14, as part of Phoenix Express 2008 (PE 08).
- Ship's Blog Logs More than 9,000 Visitors Navy NewsStand 15 Apr 2008 -- Pearl Harbor based guided-missile destroyer USS Russell (DDG 59) has found an innovative way of keeping families and the public informed about their daily activities - launching a ship's blog, March 23.
- USS Russell Navigates Uncharted Waters with Ship's Blog Navy NewsStand 15 Apr 2008 -- USS Russell's (DDG 59) Web log is having an impact on the World Wide Web since its debut two weeks ago, reaching 5,000 hits April 7.
- Army Offers Renewed Incentives for Captains to Stay Army News 15 Apr 2008 -- In an effort to encourage more mid-grade officers to remain in service, the Army is again offering a "menu of incentives" for active-component captains that includes options for a cash bonus, attendance at graduate school or the Defense Language Institute.
- Army Rehearses for Hurricane Season Army News 15 Apr 2008 -- Officials from 43 government agencies gathered around a detailed map here April 10 for a Rehearsal of Concept drill on hurricane relief operations.
- Army Reserve, Inova Health System Launch Partnership Army News 15 Apr 2008 -- The Army Reserve joined with Inova Health System Monday in the launching of a public-private partnership that will allow both organizations to recruit, train and employ people interested in serving in the Reserve and in health-care careers.
- Personal Security Detachment Soldiers Show Versatility AFPS 15 Apr 2008 -- The personal security detachment here does far more than escort their commander and command sergeant major around the battlefield.
- USS Hopper & USS Port Royal Visit Palau Navy NewsStand 15 Apr 2008 -- Two Pearl Harbor based ships, guided-missile cruiser USS Port Royal (CG 73) and guided-missile destroyer USS Hopper (DDG 70), visited the island of Palau, April 14.
- Joint LOADEX Ensures Operational Success Navy NewsStand 15 Apr 2008 -- The Navy and Air Force came together during a training operation known as Load Exercise (LOADEX) at Naval Station Norfolk, Va., April 11-13, in an effort to increase interoperability during upcoming deployments.
- U.S. 6th Fleet's Southeast Africa Task Force Arrives in Madagascar Navy NewsStand 15 Apr 2008 -- Landing ship dock USS Ashland (LSD 48) pulled into Antsiranana, a small port city on the northern tip of Madagascar, Tuesday, April 15.
- Press Briefing by Dana Perino The White House 15 Apr 2008
- Daily Press Briefing US Dept. of State 15 Apr 2008
- DoD News: Contracts for April 15, 2008
- Boeing KC-767 Tanker Adds Up to Best Value for Warfighter, Taxpayers Boeing 15 Apr 2008 -- The Boeing [NYSE: BA] KC-767 Advanced Tanker would save billions of dollars over the anticipated lifetime of the aircraft compared with the larger Airbus-based KC-30.
- ATK Awarded Follow-On $134 Million Option for Minuteman III Propulsion Replacement Program ATK 15 Apr 2008 -- Alliant Techsystems (NYSE: ATK) has received a contract option worth $134 million from Northrop Grumman Corporation (NYSE: NOC) to refurbish components and replace propellant on Minuteman III Stage 1, 2 and 3 rocket motors.
- BAE SYSTEMS AWARDED $43.6 MILLION U.S. ARMY CONTRACT FOR FAMILY OF MEDIUM TACTICAL VEHICLES ADAPTABLE ARMOR SYSTEM BAE Systems 15 Apr 2008 -- BAE Systems has been awarded a $43.6 million contract by the U.S. Army to manufacture 730 Long Term Armor Strategy (LTAS) cargo vehicles.
- CACI Awarded Blanket Purchase Agreement to Support Medical Readiness for Defense Logistics Agency CACI 15 Apr 2008 -- CACI International Inc (NYSE:CAI) announced today that it has been awarded a five-year blanket purchase agreement (BPA) with an estimated value of $54.8 million to support the Defense Medical Logistics Standard Support-Defense Logistics Agency (DMLSS-DLA) program
- Lockheed Martin Receives $15.5-Million Annual Support Contract For The U.K.'S Trident Missile Program Lockheed Martin 15 Apr 2008 -- The U.S. Navy has awarded Lockheed Martin (NYSE: LMT) a one-year, $15.5-million contract for continued program management and engineering services for the United Kingdom's Trident II D5 Fleet Ballistic Missile (FBM) program.
- Putin to bring arms contracts worth $3 bln to Libya - paper RIA Novosti 15 Apr 2008 -- Russia has prepared arms contracts worth $3 billion for outgoing president Vladimir Putin's visit to Libya this week, a business daily said on Tuesday citing defense and aircraft industry officials.
- Orbital Awarded $40 Million Contract by U.S. Air Force for Three Minotaur Space Launch Vehicles to Support Operationally Responsive Space Programs Orbital Sciences Corp. 15 Apr 2008 -- Orbital Sciences Corporation (NYSE: ORB) announced today that the U.S. Air Force Space and Missiles Systems Center (SMC) has ordered three additional Minotaur space launch vehicles in support of the new Operationally Responsive Space (ORS) office.
- Hamilton Sundstrand announces multi-year procurement for V-22 electric systems Hamilton Sundstrand 15 Apr 2008 -- Boeing Integrated Defense Systems has awarded Hamilton Sundstrand, a subsidiary of United Technologies Corp. (NYSE:UTX), a follow-on procurement contract to supply additional constant frequency electric systems for the Bell Boeing V-22 Osprey, under Lots 12-16 of the program.
- DAILY PRESS BRIEFING BY THE OFFICE OF THE SPOKESPERSON FOR THE SECRETARY-GENERAL United Nations 15 Apr 2008
- Press Conference By Foreign Minister On Situation In Somalia United Nations 15 Apr 2008
- Somalia to Ask UN for International Peacekeepers VOA 15 Apr 2008 -- Somalia's foreign minister says his government will ask the U.N. Security Council to send a multi-national force to his country to take over from African Union peacekeepers who are currently trying to help bring stability to Somalia
- SOMALIA: Harder times ahead as dry conditions, insecurity persist IRIN 15 Apr 2008 -- The number of Somalis facing a humanitarian emergency and those displaced by continuing conflict has increased because the situation is deteriorating faster than expected, the UN warned.
- UN agencies call on Israel to immediately resume full fuel shipments to Gaza UN News Centre 15 Apr 2008 -- United Nations humanitarian and development agencies today called on Israel to immediately resume the distribution of sufficient fuel to the Gaza Strip to allow Palestinians there to go about their normal daily lives.
- Former US President Carter Meets Ex-Hamas Minister in West Bank VOA 15 Apr 2008 -- Former U.S. President Jimmy Carter traveled to the West Bank, where he met with a leading Hamas politician
- PRESS CONFERENCE BY GEORGIA United Nations 15 Apr 2008
- Security Council extends UN operation in Georgia for further six months UN News Centre 15 Apr 2008 -- The Security Council today extended until 15 October the mandate of the United Nations Observer Mission in Georgia (UNOMIG), established in 1993 to verify compliance with a cessation of hostilities and separation of forces accord following the armed conflict between the Georgian and Abkhaz sides.
- PRESS CONFERENCE BY SECRETARY-GENERAL’S SPECIAL REPRESENTATIVE FOR DEMOCRATIC REPUBLIC OF CONGO United Nations 15 Apr 2008
- Chad: UN distributes aid to refugees left homeless after camp blaze UN News Centre 15 Apr 2008 -- The United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) has provided temporary housing and relief supplies to more than 2,000 Darfurians who were left homeless after a fire swept through part of the Goz Amer refugee camp in eastern Chad last week.
- 'Long-overdue' justice necessary in Cambodia, says Secretary-General Ban UN News Centre 15 Apr 2008 -- Noting that today is the tenth anniversary of the death of the notorious Cambodian dictator Pol Pot, Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon has called on the United Nations-backed tribunal to "soon deliver long-overdue justice for the people" of the South-East Asian country.
- COTE D'IVOIRE: Army rejects UN accusations of arms embargo violations IRIN 15 Apr 2008 -- The national army in Cote d'Ivoire has rejected an UN accusation that it is engaging in military training exercises which violates the conditions of a UN arms embargo.
- NIGERIA: Tensions rise with start of trial of Delta leader IRIN 15 Apr 2008 -- In a demonstration of support for prominent Niger Delta militant Henry Okah, who the government put in trial in early April, militant leaders have said that they will escalate armed conflict.
- KENYA: Reconciliation key to returns IRIN 15 Apr 2008 -- Peace-building and reconciliation efforts to alleviate ethnic tension must be stepped up before internally displaced Kenyans are pushed to return to their homes or the risk of further violence will remain high, according to the UN and agencies.
- ZIMBABWE: Opposition turning up the heat IRIN 15 Apr 2008 -- A call for an indefinite stayaway by Zimbabwe's opposition party, the Movement for Democratic Change, had a mixed response on 15 April, the day protest action began.
- US, Britain Seek Security Council Debate On Zimbabwe, S. Africa Opposed VOA 15 Apr 2008 -- The United States and Britain said Tuesday they intend to bring Zimbabwe's post-election crisis before the United Nations Security Council for debate, despite moves by South Africa to block discussion of the delay in releasing presidential election results.
- Putin Accepts Leadership of Russia's Dominant Political Party VOA 15 Apr 2008 -- Kremlin leader Vladimir Putin has agreed to head the ruling United Russia Party, whose members voted unanimously in his favor
- 240-year-old Nepal monarchy will be over in a month IRNA 15 Apr 2008 -- Maoist leader Prachanda, whose CPN-Maoist has emerged as the largest party in Nepal's constituent assembly polls, on Tuesday said the 240-year-old monarchy will be over within a month in the Himalayan nation.
- Former Rebels Maintain Lead in Nepal Vote Count VOA 15 Apr 2008 -- Election officials in Nepal say the country's former rebels have won well over half of the declared seats in a new 601-seat assembly that will rewrite the constitution.
- Analysis: Russia Prepares For Lengthy Battle Over Ukraine RFE/RL 15 Apr 2008 -- Russia's pro-Kremlin mass media lauded the recent NATO decision in Bucharest to delay issuing Membership Action Plans (MAPs) to Ukraine and Georgia, hailing it as a victory for departing President Vladimir Putin.
- Lavrov rejects rumors of Putin's threats against Ukraine RIA Novosti 15 Apr 2008 -- Russia's top diplomat gave assurances on Tuesday that in a recent speech to NATO leaders, President Vladimir Putin did not seek to undermine the sovereignty of Ukraine.
- Lavrov assures Kiev that Putin respects Ukraine's sovereignty RIA Novosti 15 Apr 2008 -- Russia's top diplomat gave assurances on Tuesday that in a recent speech to NATO leaders, President Vladimir Putin did not seek to undermine the sovereignty of Ukraine.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|