13 April 2008 Military News
- PRESS CONFERENCE: Rear Adm. Patrick Driscoll, Dr. Ali al-Dabbagh, April 13, 2008 MNF-I 13 Apr 2008
- Airpower summary for April 12: Predators patrol Iraqi skies AFPN 13 Apr 2008
- Apache misses target, two US soldiers, three civilians wounded IRNA 13 Apr 2008 -- Two US soldiers and three civilians were wounded when an Apache helicopter accidentally destroyed one of US armored vehicles in eastern Baghdad, US military said on Sunday.
- AFGHANISTAN: Over 400,000 people receive food aid amid soaring prices IRIN 13 Apr 2008 -- To counter growing food insecurity in the country, more than 400,000 Afghans have so far been assisted through a joint UN and government "safety net" programme over the past two months, the World Food Programme (WFP) said.
- Afghanistan: Warlordism 'Is Winning' Versus Democracy RFE/RL 13 Apr 2008 -- Ordinary Afghans are becoming increasingly concerned about their future as the power of warlords appears to be growing in Afghanistan.
Defense Policy / Programs
- First Africa Partnership Station Deployment Concludes with Maritime Safety and Security Symposium Navy NewsStand 13 Apr 2008 -- The first deployment of Africa Partnership Station concluded with a Maritime Safety and Security (MSS) symposium held here, Apr. 9.
- USS Ashland is First U.S. Navy Ship to Visit Reunion in 47 Years Navy NewsStand 13 Apr 2008 -- USS Ashland (LSD 48) wrapped up a two-day port visit to the French island of Reunion in the Indian Ocean, Saturday, April 12.
- Israel Accuses Hamas of Fabricating Humanitarian Crisis VOA 13 Apr 2008 -- Israel and militant Palestinian leaders in the Gaza Strip are trading accusations over an alleged fuel shortage
- Jimmy Carter Gets Cold Reception in Israel VOA 13 Apr 2008 -- Former U.S. President Jimmy Carter is getting a cold reception in Israel
- Kenya Names New Coalition Cabinet VOA 13 Apr 2008 -- Kenyan president Mwai Kibaki has announced the formation of a new power-sharing government, including his main rival in December's elections, Raila Odinga, as prime minister
- Opposition MDC Will Challenge Zimbabwean Vote Recount VOA 13 Apr 2008 -- Zimbabwe's opposition Movement for Democratic Change says it will challenge a decision by the Zimbabwe Electoral Commission to do a complete ballot recount in 23 constituencies
- Maoists Head to Victory in Nepal's National Assembly Election VOA 13 Apr 2008 -- The leader of Nepal's Maoists is trying to reassure his country and the world that the former rebels will play a constructive political role as election returns show the far-left party making a much stronger-than-expected showing
- VP-elect's meeting with Chinese leader helpful: KMT lawmaker CNA 13 Apr 2008 -- An opposition Kuomintang (KMT) legislative caucus leader said Sunday that although it was yet unclear what results the meeting between Taiwan's vice President-elect and the Chinese president would produce, the exchange was definitely conducive to the development of cross-strait ties in the future.
- VP-elect satisfied with China's treatment at Boao forum CNA 13 Apr 2008 -- Taiwan's Vice President-elect Vincent Siew said late Saturday that he was satisfied with courteous reception that China has accorded him at an economic forum being held in the southern Chinese resort of Boao in Hainan province.
- VP-elect's China visit should benefit all: spokesman CNA 13 Apr 2008 -- Vice President-elect Vincent Siew is expected to return home bearing the fruits of his China visit, which should benefit all fellow citizens, not just his own party or any specific individual, an official said Sunday.
- Vice President-elect returns to Taiwan from China CNA 13 Apr 2008 -- Vice President Vincent Siew returned to Taipei late Sunday from a three-day forum in Hainan province, southern China.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|